Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Help getting my server up and running

View previous topic  I got Wii. Post :: Post Assassin2684's website was hacked  View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Help getting my server up and running Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Firstly thanks for having a look at my query. I have recently aquired a HP NetServer LH4r Pentium3. I have no real reason for owning it but it was basically free so I thought "what the hey". Anyway, I would like to get it up and going.

I have a copy of Windows Server 2003 but on start up it wont boot from it. It just comes up with the error "no operating system". I went into BIOS and made it boot from CD first but still the same prob. I tried installing XP SP2 (I have no idea whether it would work on a server) and it recognised and booted from the CD. I loaded the files, partitioned the drives, copied installation files but then when the computer restarted it just started from the beginning again. The copied files were on the drive and the windows installer recognised it as a OS, but I don't know how to recover the installation (or if it's even possible with XP). When I start with no CD it does al the RAM checking etc but then comes up with "No operating system".

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jules
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:12 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uhh is there a reason it was free?

(And by the way, this is a SubSpace Server Help forum, not a general server help forum.)
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
The Apache
BECAUSE I'M A STUPID IDIOT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:08 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ya, this is a SubSpace server help forum.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:23 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

But it's in trash talk, so it's all good.

@Jules: Is the drive you installed windows to in your "boot devices" in your bios? Also check for a "use other devices" option. My guess is the drive is not in the devices list and use other devices is either non-existant or disabled.
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are you running any raid setup? If so are you loading the correct raid controller drivers during the installation? Normally you wont even be able to see the drive to install on it if this is the case but just a thought.

Also if the setup does recognize an installation during the setup process you should see an option to Repair the installation. There are also more advanced commands in recovery console for fixing the MBR if thats the issue.

And check what cerium said.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If it's a computer built to be a server, then a RAID setup is kind of likely. Also, any particular reason you're using Windows Server 2003? Sure, it's quite a bit easier than Linux, but... most things run on Linux. >_>
My friend is in the Marines, and apparently they use Windows Server 2003 for just about everything. That's cool, I guess.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh ****. I just noticed the last post date. >_<
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:02 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
Oh ****. I just noticed the last post date. >_<

It is not that bad, the code to display warnings about bumping old posts is two weeks. And your question is legitimate.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 256 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.694789 seconds : 32 queries executed (77.4%): GZIP compression disabled