Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Problems with asss on win 98?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  shrapnel Post :: Post Can ASSS do this?  View next topic  
wEaViL
Don't make me turn this forum around!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Problems with asss on win 98? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I recently dragged my old subgame server out of the closet and hooked it up. I sent a copy of my dev asss zone to it and can't get it to run from that system. It worked (still runs) fine on my XP pro system but I get "Bad command or filename" when I run the bat file on win 98. Is there anything I need to download to fix this or do I need to upgrade the os? If I need to upgrade will win 2k be enough to run it?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It should work on win98. Open the .bat file in wordpad and save it to convert the unix line endings to windows line endings.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just tried that and it didn't work... I put a new copy of asss on there and it didn't give that error but had a couple module errors... imma see if i can't fix that now

Edit* This is what the asss window says

Code: Show/Hide
asss 1.1.8pre built at Apr 27 2004 17:06:50
Loading Modules...
I <cmod> loading C module 'deadlock' from 'internal'
E <cmod> error in GetProcAddress: The specified procedure could not be found.

Unrecoverable error (5) : Error in loading module 'deadlock'
Press any key to continue . . .

Edit 2* I tried to disable that module then it gives me another module error. Going to try setting up a fresh server and see how that goes.

Edit 3* Ok that failed... currently this is what it is showing

asss 1.1.8pre built at Apr 27 2004 17:06:50
Loading Modules...
I <cmod> loading C module 'prng' from 'internal '
I <cmod> loading C module 'logman ' from 'internal '
Unrecoverable error (5) : Error in loading module 'scoring:presist'
Press any key to continue . . .
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you meant by 'sent a copy' but you should at least get the latest version (which currently is 1.4.2) from http://sscx.net/asss.

Make sure to get the full windows version and to unpack it preserving path names.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

can't remember where I downloaded this one from... was either shanky.com or subspacedownloads.com I'll give that a try, thanks
wEaViL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1.4.2 still gives Bad command or file name
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Open up the .bat file, and type it in manually into a command window (After cd'ing to the right spot). See what command is giving you trouble.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok I guess I did this right. I went into run and typed command. In the command window I changed the directory to the server and then typed asss.bat and it says bad command or file name
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Open asss.bat in notepad. Type THOSE commands in.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wEaViL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok i'm getting confused... sorry but what I see on the screen is giberish to me...

Open asss.bat in notepad - ok understood that
Type those commands in - This is where im lost... what commands? Also where do I type them in at?

It just seems to me that its got to be something with win 98 seeing that the exact copy of the asss server works on my XP Pro system. Is there a possible missing file or program needed to run it?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think what he's trying to say is type 'bin\asss.exe' into the command prompt.

My first thought was you didn't have the complete distro or correct directory layout, since it can't find a file it needs (such as one of the .dll's containing the modules).

Alternatively you could try a version between 118pre and 142.

And if it is missing a system .dll such as msvcr71.dll it usually pops up a message dialog.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I think I know your problem.

Open asss.bat in WORDPAD. Then hit the save button.

Try it again.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This seems to be getting into a loop...
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

By try it again I mean running the server.

I think his issue is Windows 98 doesn't like unix linebreaks in its batch files.
wEaViL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
Ok, I think I know your problem.

Open asss.bat in WORDPAD. Then hit the save button.

Try it again.

Already tried that one a few times... still no luck
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If your asss.bat makes no sense, then something is wrong.
wEaViL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still thinks its something with win 98... perhaps a missing file or something... I install perl to see if that fixed it and it didn't... not sure whatelse to try
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do the following in a command prompt:

cd C:\place\where\you\put\the\asss\folder
bin\asss.exe

See if that works. If it does, copy and paste (don't attach) the contents of your asss.bat.
wEaViL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok this is odd.... its in C:\asss\bin\ but when I do that in command it says Invalid Directory even though that is the exact location of it.

Ok now if I do it like this it worked as far as finding it...
cd c:\
cd asss
cd bin
asss.exe

Now in the prompt it says

asss 1.4.2 built at Jan 14 2006 17:09:24
Loading modules...
Unrecoverable error (5): Error in modules.conf: Can't open file 'conf/modules.conf' for reading

So somethings wrong with modules.conf... odd though, last time I did this it just said Bad command

module.conf

modules.conf - 1.71 KB
File downloaded or viewed 7 time(s)
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, you're just loading it from the wrong directory. You need to be in C:\asss and then run asss.bat.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gah, cyan. You need to read the original topic.

Cd C:\asss
bin\asss

(LIKE I SAID)

When that works perfectly, maybe you'll start believing me that it's an issue with your unix linebreaks?

If I'm a little ansy, it's because I gave you the correct solution 10 posts ago.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I already stopped replying to this topic.</irony>
wEaViL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Like I said... if I type asss.bat while command is in C:\asss\ I get Bad command or file name

If I do it like Dr said then I get Can't open file 'conf/modules.conf' for reading

Open and save asss.bat with win 98 does no good either... So if the comment about unix headers or whatever is right, then why doesn't it fix it when I save it with windows?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I really hope you mean 'opened it with wordpad' not opened with windows...

Did you follow the error's advice? Check to see if a conf/modules.conf files exists and say so here. You might use past knowledge learned and re-save it in wordpad (although that shouldn't matter for this particular file).

"Unrecoverable error (5): Error in modules.conf: Can't open file 'conf/modules.conf' for reading" Can occur when you are executing asss.exe from within the bin directory.
wEaViL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes I opened asss.bat with wordpad and saved it, also tried that with modules.conf... both failed

whether I double click asss.bat or use command prompt to open it it always says bad command or file name... Only time I get the error about modules.conf is if I cd to bin and type asss. All files are in there so its not a missing file.

Guess i'll just save a little cash and get a 128 pc100 chip and upgrade to either xp pro or server 2003 since it works fine on xp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 835 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.450686 seconds : 51 queries executed (88.4%): GZIP compression disabled