Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ASSS vs Python(bugs) vs C++ vs merv vs TWCore vs Java
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Making a DLL with multiple classes? Post :: Post Finished  View next topic  
Gus.
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: ASSS vs Python(bugs) vs C++ vs merv vs TWCore vs Java Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let the battle begin

Last edited by Gus. on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd make you an ASSS plugin for it, any chance you're using ASSS?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Gus.
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nope. we arent using any asss at this time.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey BaK. I noticed you'd prefer coding a lot of your stuff for as3 instead of merv. Why is that? Don't you know Merv pretty well?
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah... think of it this way

If I was making a movie I'd release it on DVD not VHS, even though I might now how to do it on VHS.

ASSS is the future, no sense in fighting it.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And for anything more complicated than ?helloworld, it's easier to make things with ASSS.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ASSS isn't very stable for large zones, despite it's amazing features it isn't worth the unstability.

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's good enough for Hockey Zone, and I wouldn't consider them a small zone. It's not unstable if you know what you're doing and don't have buggy modules.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Quan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Then mabye I need to ditch merv and enter the future, ASSS.
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for it. 'Unstability' issues are in subgame+bots to, as you should well know, Ag.
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

*sendto for the win.
Gus.
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a custom plugin. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gus. wrote:
Do you know of a plugin that simply does this. i need a plugin of it or one made. Im asking this on behalf of Servitude of SSDC Aftermath.

OK we need a 4 freq, kill counter, like at the certain number of kills u win. and, theres an adjustable ini for the kills. maybe with a score counter for a higher game

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Muskrat wrote:
Go for it. 'Unstability' issues are in subgame+bots to, as you should well know, Ag.

lol
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

D1st0rt wrote:
It's not unstable if you know what you're doing and don't have buggy modules.
You don't even need to be a perfect coder or know what you're doing, just use python.

Quote:
ASSS isn't very stable for large zones
Hockey Zone was already mentioned, but I just want to add that HZ handles over 100 people at a time on daily basis.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yep, I spent weeks on a MERV upgrade (I was going to call it SALT, if anyone gets it), but decided to drop it since I'm asss all the way.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
Quan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay. Its offical then. Im going to look into ASSS. C looks harder to learn than C++ though. Python seems cool, but I heard its only good for making quick modules.
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

bleh HZ got lucky
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pythons limitations are that you can't create interfaces with it and it only supports a (large) subset of the functions you can use in C. And there are workarounds for the functions it doesn't support.

In one example I wanted to perform an action whenever a player fired a bomb. Since there is no callback for this, the way I would do it in C is to use net->addPacket for C2S_Position and examine the packet to check if the player is firing a weapon. Since function pointers don't translate well to python, this was not possible (indeed you couldn't even attempt to use the funtion from the net interface in python). The solution (hack) I came up with was to, rather than recompile pymod with a new callback, use a c module to perform the necessary logic, and issue a callback python can use (I chose CB_CHATMSG with a unique mode that identified this as a bomb callback (normalled CB_CHATMSG uses modes 0-12, so I used 13)). If you want to see the source for this module, it's attached.

Anyhoo, most of the limitations of python can be eliminated by creating simple C modules (which if you find a way to crash the server with them, you should be shot).

pyhack.c - 2.07 KB
File downloaded or viewed 17 time(s)
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ew? That's a gross hack.

What happens when everyone else uses your idea and starts filling the CB_CHATMSG with random numbers? eventually you'll get overlap and BOOM, two entirely seperate modules no longer work together. It'd be a pain in the ass to find, too.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the idea is only use one pyhack module at a time, but you're right, it is a terrible hack. I suppose you could fill the message part of the data with the name of the module you intend it to be used for, or better yet the type of callback that it is. That would prevent the problem you proposed.

At any rate, it looks like when grel creates "dynamic interfaces and callbacks for python" as his bug tracking system says he's working on, this problem will go away and you'll be able to just use regular callbacks for this sort of thing.
BlueGoku
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agurus wrote:
bleh HZ got lucky

How so?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agurus just because you can't get it to work doesn't mean that other people can't
Gus.
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

New topic name for you all. <3
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everybody who does not accept that ASSS is better than bots is just afraid of new technology.
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

poor TWCore is being left out.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Bot Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 1585 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.640061 seconds : 51 queries executed (74.1%): GZIP compression disabled