Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Note: I will not read posts with subjects like 'help'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic  What? Post :: Post Firefox 0.9.3  View next topic  
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smithy101 wrote:
Is this gonna be a fight or is this post gonna be done and over with?

...this is Trash Talk and you of all people...sigh, just be silent, newb tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry icon_redface.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:
(and you, too, actually sa_tongue.gif)

I will use the term "screen distance" for lack of a better term.

I will prove it mathematicly:

Given: Inches * Pixels/Inch (DPI) = Pixels

Given: DPI isn't a universal constant (unlike cm/Inch).

Therefore, pixels and inch cannot be measuring the same thing.

QED

Hence, you cannot measure a real world object in pixels without a conversion factor (DPI).

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As soon as Akai is banned from posting, we will stop reminding him how much of a retard he is.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Xudikkor wrote:
Unfortunately, not everyone are as intelligent and knowledgeable as you are that they can also be a telepathic mind reader.
And if you are unwilling to help because they are not as great as you are, where as the entire purpose of this place is for the likes of you to educate the less gifted, then what purpose do you serve in a place such as this - a help site?

I would also like to inform you that indeed I did understood what you meant.
However as it would seem, you either have some high standards thinking that everyone are like you (and were they, then they would obviously have no need to adress here seeking for resolutions) as suggested above and/or that it is you who has failed to grasp the meaning of my own text.

I am not an admin here. I was serving my own interests, and those of people who would like my help. I don't really care what you think I should do.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
QED

Hugs.
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:43 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Charmin ultra less is more.

Edit: So ekted you want someone to get banned here? Just curios...
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Of course not. I would like Akai to admit he was wrong. It's the only way we can all move on with our lives. icon_surprised.gif
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Akai is SuSE right?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, time to play the moderator again...

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, Akai and SuSE are my sex slaves. Hey, this is trash talk after all!
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:21 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There goes mine with his shanky girls.
And solo ace..... I cant think of anythiing to say to you yet.
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:24 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Threads should be temporarily locked when I'm composing a message for it. icon_sad.gif

I'm not even waiting for a reply from you, so whatever.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:31 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll see your babe, and raise you a better one...

Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:36 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

NOOOO WE LOST EKTED!!!!
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:42 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

measure....THIS!!!!

grav_mgun.gif
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
Given: DPI isn't a universal constant (unlike cm/Inch).

Hrmmm? Are you implying that the amount of screen pixels my monitor's using is fluctuating? sa_tongue.gif
Dr Brain wrote:
Therefore, pixels and inch cannot be measuring the same thing.

That's absurd. I used to think you two merely had incredibly limited scope of 'measure', but now I can tell it goes for 'pixel' as well. I think if you bother to look them up (I'm confident neither of you have [and I doubt you will at this point], or you wouldn't still be arguing your side) you'll, well, know what you're talking about. sa_tongue.gif (at the very least regarding pixels that have nothing to do with screen resolution - if I had to guess at this point you'll never drop the resolution bit, even though you [doc] have agreed with me twice and ekted must still be trying to figure out how to measure himself in machs)
Dr Brain wrote:
Hence, you cannot measure a real world object in pixels without a conversion factor (DPI).

You just said that you can measure in pixels again. Listen to yourself already. sa_tongue.gif You can measure something displayed on your screen by its pixels and you can measure something tangible with pixels (although I would agree, this is not so useful).

Oh and Charisma Carpenter owns strange, odd-looking Russian women any day.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can look at an image on your screen and count the number of pixels wide it is. But this number is not a unit of distance. It does not relate to any real world measurement except on YOUR screen. Telling someone that this image is so many pixels wide does not help them in any real world situation.

Here's the ultimate test of a true unit of distance: To convert from one unit of distance to another, there is a FIXED conversion factor. Inches to cm, miles to km, light years to parsecs. There is NO direct conversion from pixels to anything, because they are arbitrary.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:58 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:
Are you implying that the amount of screen pixels my monitor's using is fluctuating?

Ever change resolutions? Whoops, that ruler on my desk that used to be 240 pixels long is now 450 pixels long.

Quote:
Pixel - The basic unit of the composition of an image on a television screen, computer monitor, or similar display.

Measure - Dimensions, quantity, or capacity as ascertained by comparison with a standard.

Pixels can be used as a measurement, but only if you state what standard you are using. Since pixels, by definition, are the basic unit of a display, if you increase the display while still keeping the same number of basic units, the size of a pixel is increased. Thus if you state something is 50 pixels long here, over there it maybe 70 pixels long to someone else.

Thus pixels are not an accepted form of measurement when dealing with lengths of real objects.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:05 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Thus pixels are not an accepted form of measurement when dealing with lengths of real objects.

And that is the context of the original debate over on ssforums...which Akai lost by locking the thread and continuing to post.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:14 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
And that is the context of the original debate over on ssforums...which Akai lost by locking the thread and continuing to post.

I'm sorry, I don't read SS forums and had no idea. Yet another reason why keeping threads opened is a good idea.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
You can look at an image on your screen and count the number of pixels wide it is. But this number is not a unit of distance.

Just by saying that, it's apparent you have no idea what the word 'distance' means, either. sa_tongue.gif
Mr Ekted wrote:
It does not relate to any real world measurement except on YOUR screen.

It doesn't have to.
Mr Ekted wrote:
Telling someone that this image is so many pixels wide does not help them in any real world situation.

No, why would it - pixels involve computers and digital images, not brooms and toilets. Nobody has disputed this. The fact remains that you can measure at least two different ways with what can be called pixels.
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Ever change resolutions?

Yes, indeed I have. What I haven't done is started to measure something in pixels, then changed my monitor's setup half-way through, then continued measuring. Without changing, of course, it's fine. (And again this only applies to screen pixels)
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Pixel - The basic unit of the composition of an image on a television screen, computer monitor, or similar display.
Not that this particular definition proves much of anything wrong, but there are several other definitions on that page.
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Measure - Dimensions, quantity, or capacity as ascertained by comparison with a standard.
Again with the many definitions. Also, I prefer at the very least Merriam-Webster over dictionary.com
Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Pixels can be used as a measurement

like, thanks for the news flash sa_tongue.gif
Mine GO BOOM wrote:

and once again, nobody said they were sa_tongue.gif

So maybe you guys are just going blind...that'd explain why you keep repeating yourselves, keep contradicting yourselves and don't know what many words mean. icon_razz.gif
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:21 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going to make my proxy block GET viewtopic.php?p=24502 requests! icon_sad.gif

I CAN'T TAKE READING THIS ANYMORE.

STOP IT!
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:24 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
  1. That is not the context of the original debate over on ssforum
  2. I did not lock it, Mike did - your memory is as good as your brain (or your eyes, whichever)
  3. what you call a debate is you posting things like "OMFG you are teh retard I hope you're kidding, you can't measure in pixels even though you just gave Ancient Power some dimensions that were exactly what he was looking for which he completely understood"
  4. it's interesting to note that even now you seem to think I made some giant essay or something proclaiming pixels a unit of measurement to rival the meter
  5. I'd insult you now, but I don't want you on my conscience
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:49 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You are still a retard. Good luck with the fries and the drive-thru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 664 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.676694 seconds : 50 queries executed (74.6%): GZIP compression disabled