Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
general programming

View previous topic  UNIX script Post :: Post Visual Studio quickinfo ellipses, how ...  View next topic  
baseball43v3r
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: general programming Reply to topic Reply with quote

as i took my high school java class last year i was intrigued by the possibilities java offered, and i had a decent handle on the language so i wanted to try my hand on something a little bit different. i wanted to try programming applications in windows but i have no idea where to start. i would assume you could use a mulitude of languages but i've heard several users here stating not to use VB and what not so i'm wondering what i should use. basically i wanted to start by making simple apps, (timers, music, organizers, calendars, that sort of thing) and then move to mroe complex items(ie using databases, file saving, dealing with memory usage) but once again i'm clueless as to where to start.

the only thing i've got so far is maybe using C# but i'll leave it up to you guys for suggestions, but i dont know what compiler or anything to use (ms just released their dreamspark, so idk if anything in there might help) or what sites to visit. thanks for your time.
-eggroll
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: general programming Reply to topic Reply with quote

baseball43v3r wrote:
basically i wanted to start by making simple apps, (timers, music, organizers, calendars, that sort of thing) and then move to mroe complex items(ie using databases, file saving, dealing with memory usage)

c# express 2005 is a good ide
Eclipse is good for java
Notepad is all you need for perl/python
C++ im not really sure what to recommend for an ide.

You can do all those things in Java and any pretty much other programming language. The choice of language is less important than you might think. Pick a language you like and learn that. If you want to avoid having to deal with memory stick with something like python/perl/java/c# if you want to play with pointers and manual memory allocation (much less exciting than it sounds) go with C and C++
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

VB is fine for what you want to make.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A big plus on c# for me is the SharpDevelop compiler. i like the graphic feature it has for clicking and dragging windows components (such as textboxes, buttons) onto your form, which then auto-generates code. that also lets you learn from that code.

there's also the msdn compilers for lots of languages.

i've only used c# for windows and i like it. The .net framework is still being worked on, so that's a good thing i suppose.

that's my 2 cents.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Non-Subspace Related Coding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 706 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.417455 seconds : 29 queries executed (94.2%): GZIP compression disabled