Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Unexpected restart

View previous topic  Welcome back :D Post :: Post Anyone wants?  View next topic  
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:04 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Unexpected restart Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been having this problem for quite some time now and wonder what it is, for some odd reason my PC seems like it "crashes" or something, and just ranomly restarts when doing something on it. I remember Microsoft said that it had something to do with memory something and there was summit on their website I could download but I have seemed to forget the name of it. Can anyone help me? (Windows XP pro OS)

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Contempt+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:18 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What kind of RAM do you have, and how much? Also, what's your CPU speed?
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:20 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

512mb of RAM, not sure what kind (how do you check) and 2.41 GHz is the speed
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:49 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Run memtest86 for a couple of hours. I'd recommend using Ultimate Boot CD to run the test, as then you'll have a nice bootable CD with a ton of extras.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:35 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's a way to boot windows so that it won't restart on driver errors. I did it once before, but I don't recall how I did it, and don't have the time to find it again.

This will help you locate the source of your problem if it's not a memory error (try MGB's solution first) and is instead a driver conflict.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My machine ran fine for 2+ years. But I went through hell the last couple of months when it started shutting down for no reason. It would just click off with no warning. I tried new RAM, new power supply, new motherboard, new CPU, with/without video card. Nothing worked.

Then I found an article regarding my motherboard (Asus). Turns out, if you use the stock Intel sink/fan (comes with P4) on socket 478, it clamps so tightly, that the Aus boards bend too much. This causes random reboots and shutdowns.

$400 later, I paid $15 for a nice Asus sink/fan with bendy metal clips (they go on much easier too), and all is well. And I almost have a spare computer with all the new parts I bought.
Contempt+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:35 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now that you mentioned that Ekted, I had a problem before with my computer shutting down and restarting.

My CPU would overheat and either freeze, shutdown, or restart. So I got a new fan, and it hasn't done that since.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:06 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hm, I do remember recieving that "windows has just encountered a serious error" (summit like that) when ever the computer restarted that way. So I clicked "send error report" to microsoft, and it redriected me to this link on their website, but now I don't recieve that error anymore after the restarts. I wish i knew it's name :/
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you check errors in your local derive?
Click on the my computer, right click, properties.
Click check now.

Click on both options and it will scan for errors and even check the whole system. Plus you need to restart your computer.

Check both options

checkoptions.PNG - 9.08 KB
File downloaded or viewed 22 time(s)

local disk properties

errorchecking.PNG - 26.39 KB
File downloaded or viewed 21 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List MSN Messenger
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:57 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I will try that, but I remember Microsoft saying it was some kind of memory issue. Then again, I do not have another fan in my PC besides the power fan...(that the prob mbe?)
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, tell me the results after those scans.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:10 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Control Panel / System / Advanced / Startup and Recovery / System Failure / Automatically Restart
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:12 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agurus wrote:
I will try that, but I remember Microsoft saying it was some kind of memory issue. Then again, I do not have another fan in my PC besides the power fan...(that the prob mbe?)

You don't have a CPU fan? Heatsink?
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:21 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Damn. I think your computer might start to melt any day now Agurus. lol
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:45 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anything in Event Viewer in Adminsitrative Tools? Probably unlikely if it is a hardware issue.
Contempt+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw it's the fan to your CPU. I doubt that any system scans can fix it Default+. This is a hardware issue.

What do you have for a cooling device on your CPU Agurus?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Agurus
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The only fan I have is the power supply fan, and I do have a heatsink on proccessor
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you been in the BIOS?
Contempt+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:00 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agurus, I'd suggest going out and buying a proper fan for your CPU. It's possible that your CPU is over heating. One way to check, is to go into BIOS, and depending on what version you have, go into a PC Health section, or look for your CPU Temp. If you find it, post the Temp here.
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always seem to hit 40 celsius on my computer now. But no problems. icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ahhh, stop posting retard suggestions, people.

Gerbils is on the right track here. Usually it'll have a system message something like "The computer has restarted from a bugcheck" if it's a hardware issue. It's been a while since something like this happened to me (happened a lot with my old Chaintech motherboard), so I'm not sure if that's the exact message.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:26 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mabe its cuz ur CPU fell out
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ace wrote:
mabe its cuz ur CPU fell out

LOL.

Cyan~Fire wrote:
stop posting retard suggestions
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hope you understood that Solo's post was a joke, newb.

@Solo's post: LOL++;
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew it was a joke. sa_tongue.gif
I actually laughed out loud at that, lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 649 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.740027 seconds : 52 queries executed (78.7%): GZIP compression disabled