Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
obscene.txt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  FreeBSD & As3? Post :: Post update.exe  View next topic  
BlueGoku
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: obscene.txt Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are there any plans for an obscene.txt like module or addition to the ASSS source itself? Here in HZ we rely heavily on obscene.txt because I don't want to censor my players and thus I have obscene.txt set to turn on by default. That way, if anyone doesn't want to hear any racist/offensive comments, they just simply don't turn off the filter.

Anyway, if this hasn't been created already, anyone have any pointers or something, so I can possibly get one of my dev guys working on it?

Thanks in advance.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Censorship is obscene.
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I thought the way obscene.txt worked was that if a line of chat matched, it just got dropped. How do players "turn off" the filter?

In general, though, I agree with Ekted, which is why I haven't implemented it yet. I realize that some people want it, though, so I'd consider doing it, if someone explains exactly how it works. Or I'd merge it in the standard distribution if someone else writes it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Zone owners can set the obscene filter on by default. That means that any (pub/team) chat line containing a word or a part of a word that matches anything on obscene.txt, is dropped.
Players can toggle the obscene filter off by typing '?obscene' in the zone.

However, players can also set the obscene filter on with the same command. So players always toggle the obscene filter ON when they are in zones who have set the obscene filter to OFF by default.

As3 should not follow this line of censoring chat lines like that imo, instead as3 should blank out the obscene words if they are on the obscene filter.
For example:
Quote:
PlayerName> Why did you do that *********?

Players can toggle this behaviour the same way they toggle the obscene filter in subgame (by typing ?obscene).

On a side note: In subgame, toggling the obscene filter to ON by default also disallows players to enter who have an obscene name. (A player name is obscene when a part of their name is on the obscene filter)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be in favor of the feature only if it was client-side. hen players could setup their own obscene.txt file. Of course, this has the added bonus that they would have to type all the words that offend them. Muahaha!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think it would be better if its server-side: more newb-friendly.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
BlueGoku
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ekted: The only offensive references on our obscene.txt are racist words.

A lot of zones just flat out don't allow racism and ban/silence for it on site. I set up an in-between so that only people who go out of their way to avoid the racism filter will get silenced.

Mav: That's a good idea, but I'm thinking it's a lot harder than coding a module that drops the whole sentence.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BlueGoku, not really. You just replace the word from obscene.txt with ******* in the sentence.
However, I don't know how as3 exactly words so I can't be certain sa_tongue.gif
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree. It wouldn't be much more work than a normal obscene module.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Obscene.txt - Just like the Infantry Forums!

---

Hmm, this is a Server Suggestion or Custom Code? I'll move it to Server Suggestion for now. [ed. - on second thought it may require either a patch or a module so i'm moving to Custom Code].

Can you do this with CB_CHATMSG? Or is the callback called after the chat message is sent to everyone?

Code: Show/Hide

if (net)
                        net->SendToArena(arena, p, (byte*)to, strlen(msg)+6,
                                        ismacro ? cfg_msgrel | NET_PRI_N1 : cfg_msgrel);
                if (chatnet)
                        chatnet->SendToArena(arena, p, "MSG:PUB:%s:%s", p->name, msg);

DO_CBS(CB_CHATMSG, arena, ChatMsgFunc, (p, to->type, sound, NULL, -1, msg));

Hm.. it looks like it happens afterwards..
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wrong forum.

Why have a server suggestions forum at all? After all, everything "may require either a patch or a module".

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, CB_CHATMSG won't work. And if you want players to have the ability to turn it on and off independently, it'll need a bunch of work in chat.c, to construct two different lists of players (or at least one list, that may be a subset of the current list).

Also, how persistent is the setting? Is it stored on the client? Does the client send ?obscene=1/0 on every login? How does the client know what the server's default is?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
Also, how persistent is the setting? Is it stored on the client? Does the client send ?obscene=1/0 on every login? How does the client know what the server's default is?

The setting gets resed as soon as the client leaves the zone (or server). The client doesn't store the ?obscene setting by itself afaik, the server does that.
The client doesn't know the default setting of the server, it just doesn't see obscene messages when the filter is ON at the server. As soon a client does ?obscene, the server sends obscene messages to the client from that moment on and sends an arena message to the client that the obscene filter is toggled OFF.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know what this does?

obscene.png - 7.46 KB
File downloaded or viewed 12 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, that might mean the client blocks obscene messages by itself? sa_confused.gif icon_confused.gif
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, it might. Do you actually know what you're talking about, or are you just guessing? So far it looks like guessing, and I'd really like to know for sure before I start working on it.
BlueGoku
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Perhaps Ekted can shed some light on this?
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I always assumed the client sent some flag (bit in login packet?) to the server, and the server did the filtering. But I don't know for sure.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not guessing, im theorizing from what I know already.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I suggest a server side command ?obscene with optional arguments. That way a player can control whether it is on or off with the auto-commands: ?obscene off.

Also the * method would have to convert words of any length to something like four *'s, otherwise people can try and guess the word.

One last thing, I helped Solo Ace write such a module a long time ago (and I think there was some agreement I couldn't distribute it).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No matter what you do, you can't filter all possible "creative" text: sh1t, @ssh0le, etc.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
Call a cop a "pig" to his face and he'll arrest you.

There is a difference between calling a cop a "pig" and telling the cop that you find him a "pig".

Sorry for this offtopic reply.

Grelminar, if this module is created, would it be included in the next release version?
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, one is slightly more respectful of another person's opinion, but that is all.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If it's implemented to my satisfaction, I'll at least include it in the contrib directory. I can't guarantee when I'll have time to actually do a release, but there's nothing preventing you from using it before that. I would like a release to happen soon, though, since there's some useful stuff that hasn't been released yet.
Chambahs
Power attack
Power attack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

like what? did you fix the ?quickfix/esc+c bug?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 654 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.593887 seconds : 52 queries executed (75.6%): GZIP compression disabled