Server Help

Trash Talk - Unexpected restart

Agurus - Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:04 pm
Post subject: Unexpected restart
I have been having this problem for quite some time now and wonder what it is, for some odd reason my PC seems like it "crashes" or something, and just ranomly restarts when doing something on it. I remember Microsoft said that it had something to do with memory something and there was summit on their website I could download but I have seemed to forget the name of it. Can anyone help me? (Windows XP pro OS)
Contempt+ - Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:18 pm
Post subject:
What kind of RAM do you have, and how much? Also, what's your CPU speed?
Agurus - Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:20 pm
Post subject:
512mb of RAM, not sure what kind (how do you check) and 2.41 GHz is the speed
Mine GO BOOM - Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:49 pm
Post subject:
Run memtest86 for a couple of hours. I'd recommend using Ultimate Boot CD to run the test, as then you'll have a nice bootable CD with a ton of extras.
Dr Brain - Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:35 pm
Post subject:
There's a way to boot windows so that it won't restart on driver errors. I did it once before, but I don't recall how I did it, and don't have the time to find it again.

This will help you locate the source of your problem if it's not a memory error (try MGB's solution first) and is instead a driver conflict.
Mr Ekted - Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:56 pm
Post subject:
My machine ran fine for 2+ years. But I went through hell the last couple of months when it started shutting down for no reason. It would just click off with no warning. I tried new RAM, new power supply, new motherboard, new CPU, with/without video card. Nothing worked.

Then I found an article regarding my motherboard (Asus). Turns out, if you use the stock Intel sink/fan (comes with P4) on socket 478, it clamps so tightly, that the Aus boards bend too much. This causes random reboots and shutdowns.

$400 later, I paid $15 for a nice Asus sink/fan with bendy metal clips (they go on much easier too), and all is well. And I almost have a spare computer with all the new parts I bought.
Contempt+ - Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Post subject:
Now that you mentioned that Ekted, I had a problem before with my computer shutting down and restarting.

My CPU would overheat and either freeze, shutdown, or restart. So I got a new fan, and it hasn't done that since.
Agurus - Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:06 am
Post subject:
Hm, I do remember recieving that "windows has just encountered a serious error" (summit like that) when ever the computer restarted that way. So I clicked "send error report" to microsoft, and it redriected me to this link on their website, but now I don't recieve that error anymore after the restarts. I wish i knew it's name :/
Default - Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 am
Post subject:
Did you check errors in your local derive?
Click on the my computer, right click, properties.
Click check now.

Click on both options and it will scan for errors and even check the whole system. Plus you need to restart your computer.
Agurus - Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:57 am
Post subject:
I will try that, but I remember Microsoft saying it was some kind of memory issue. Then again, I do not have another fan in my PC besides the power fan...(that the prob mbe?)
Default - Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:07 am
Post subject:
Ok, tell me the results after those scans.
Mr Ekted - Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:10 am
Post subject:
Control Panel / System / Advanced / Startup and Recovery / System Failure / Automatically Restart
Purge - Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:12 am
Post subject:
Agurus wrote:
I will try that, but I remember Microsoft saying it was some kind of memory issue. Then again, I do not have another fan in my PC besides the power fan...(that the prob mbe?)

You don't have a CPU fan? Heatsink?
newb - Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:21 am
Post subject:
Damn. I think your computer might start to melt any day now Agurus. lol
i88gerbils - Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:45 am
Post subject:
Anything in Event Viewer in Adminsitrative Tools? Probably unlikely if it is a hardware issue.
Contempt+ - Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:16 pm
Post subject:
I saw it's the fan to your CPU. I doubt that any system scans can fix it Default+. This is a hardware issue.

What do you have for a cooling device on your CPU Agurus?
Agurus - Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:09 am
Post subject:
The only fan I have is the power supply fan, and I do have a heatsink on proccessor
Default - Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:18 am
Post subject:
Have you been in the BIOS?
Contempt+ - Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:00 pm
Post subject:
Agurus, I'd suggest going out and buying a proper fan for your CPU. It's possible that your CPU is over heating. One way to check, is to go into BIOS, and depending on what version you have, go into a PC Health section, or look for your CPU Temp. If you find it, post the Temp here.
newb - Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:41 pm
Post subject:
I always seem to hit 40 celsius on my computer now. But no problems. icon_smile.gif
Cyan~Fire - Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 pm
Post subject:
Ahhh, stop posting retard suggestions, people.

Gerbils is on the right track here. Usually it'll have a system message something like "The computer has restarted from a bugcheck" if it's a hardware issue. It's been a while since something like this happened to me (happened a lot with my old Chaintech motherboard), so I'm not sure if that's the exact message.
Solo Ace - Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:26 pm
Post subject:
mabe its cuz ur CPU fell out
newb - Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Post subject:
Solo Ace wrote:
mabe its cuz ur CPU fell out

LOL.

Cyan~Fire wrote:
stop posting retard suggestions

Cyan~Fire - Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 pm
Post subject:
I hope you understood that Solo's post was a joke, newb.

@Solo's post: LOL++;
newb - Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:45 pm
Post subject:
Yeah, I knew it was a joke. sa_tongue.gif
I actually laughed out loud at that, lol.
All times are -5 GMT
View topic