Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Some Odd Questions

View previous topic  Scores Resetting Problem Post :: Post python region  View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Some Odd Questions Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had a thought, and I was wondering if it was at all possible to do a couple things using a module, or if it would have to be done with the client.

First, is it possible to import an outside source of sound and have it streamed to the player / arena. This would be useful because I would be able to host sounds on the server, and play them without forcing players to download an lvz. Another use would be to stream radio stations or use it like a radio station streaming from a directory of mp3s.

Seconds, is it possible to somehow use a players hardware. My thought specifically was to have a way that players could use their mics and talk to other people.

I'm not sure of the limitations of ASSS and if any of this would be possible.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That can't be done with ASSS or Continuum, but you may be able to find an external program that will let you do that.

I don't know how you can force the players to use it, though. Disable chat, and send them a message to set it up perhaps? Sounds lame to me, but to each his own.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Brain!

Also, I wouldn't want to disable chat for the fact that not everyone has a mic, and the chat is useful for other things as well.

And couldn't it be with Continuum? It would require adding a lot of code to the client, but I don't see why that wouldn't be possible in the future.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmm, wasn't there a 'player sound' feature in Subspace? You could set up some macros with a .wav sound, and other players could hear them. Surely there's something that can be done via the current protocol to support such things.

Quote:
And couldn't it be with Continuum? It would require adding a lot of code to the client, but I don't see why that wouldn't be possible in the future.
If we had any sort of access to the source code of the client, it would probably already be done tongue.gif Any future update to Continuum is very unlikely. New clients are being developed to replace it eventually, but we're not there yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know Sama, there is Discretion and Subspace2, there has also been other clients started as well, I just don't understand why these projects never get combined. Or when someone decides, "Hey I want to start developing a new client." that they don't try to pitch in on an already started project..

I'm pretty sure doc is completely closed source with his SubSpace2 project, and development is pretty much at a stand still. MM started "ThirdSpace" the 3d version of ss, which in my opinion looked like a fail project from the beginning, but that as well has not been worked on in years, and I know he had a child and hasn't been around since he posted his teaser video. Which was entertaining to say the least with his use of the 'Top Gun' theme! tongue.gif

I wish there was more I could do, I wish I was a programmer with the proper knowledge to lend a hand. I realize this is all free software and 100% player run / funded. I just feel like there should have been an updated client with all the development that has started here there and everywhere.

Recently I found out that even Priit had finished 'Continuum .40' YEARS before its release. And why is it that this one man holds so much of this game and yet he is not around, he doesn't continue development and shows now desire to participate with this community. Is it true that he's waiting for this to "die" and release some sort of new game. Personally, maintaining one of the longest running MMO games status is important, and letting this game die is a mistake, would would end up with a completely new community, and we are a strong and more massive group of people capable of many things. Does this guy think he's going to just transfer this community and start charging us to play his new game? This has failed in the past, and wont successful in the future.

While.. I think thats enough ranting and raving for a day.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They haven't combined because the IQ of a group is the lowest individual IQ divided by the square of the size of the group.

Politics and design decisions take up more time than coding, and that's the sad truth. It's typically easier to start a new project than to bring new ideas into an existing project.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

possible solution:

player voices
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 678 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.482791 seconds : 32 queries executed (84.6%): GZIP compression disabled