Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Spam

View previous topic  HTML and PHP Post :: Post The Prittk Proposal  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Spam Reply to topic Reply with quote

If anyone has been reading search engine news recently (like who hasn't?!), you'll know that Google has been getting hit pretty hard with spam. The reason for it is probably to do with their Caffeine engine being able to get spam into the index on high ranking pages very quickly. With that, and the fact we rank so high in Google (see q=server+help), we are getting hit not with automated bots, but actual people hired to copy/paste text into sites.

Fuck. That is harder to deal with because you can't just cheat out some anti-bot things, because these are people paid pennies per post and can actually fill in captchas.

I have recently been busy elsewhere in the world so have had limited time to prune the forums. In a few days I'll be back to my normal schedule and will be able to wipe out spam quicker, and will give a few ideas I have been thinking of a try to prevent the pennies-per-post people from posting in the first place. And probably a "report this post" button too, with automated abilities.

As for the wiki, I will be willing to let more people get admin access to it, as you guys have been doing wonderful updating it with new information when needed, and checking it out often.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Add some subspace-related questions, like "how many ships are there" or "name this ship" and show a random picture of one of the ships.

Sure, they could find the answer, but I don't think it would be very profitable for them to google the answer first... The image would be especially tricky for them, I suppose.
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:46 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
Add some subspace-related questions, like "how many ships are there" or "name this ship" and show a random picture of one of the ships.

oh god yes
i think i had thought of this at some point, but then forgot because i probably didnt care at the time

in fact i might go as far as to ask that there be 3 questions
disable guest posting, then add these to the captcha, instant anti-bot + anti-indian
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could also have a bot on SSC somewhere for registration. Should be an annoying but incredibly trivial process for people truly involved in the community. For bonus points you could check the biller info and reject anyone with fewer than FOO hours usage, or no points (never played), etc..

Also I know it could be rationalized as letting spammers win a round, but you could just change the title of the high-ranking pages to "SubSpace Server Help", which would actually be more appropriate anyways.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 640 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.680809 seconds : 29 queries executed (93.6%): GZIP compression disabled