Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ten years

View previous topic  python region Post :: Post Bot Security  View next topic  
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: ten years Reply to topic Reply with quote

The very earliest snapshot I have of the code and notes that eventually became asss is dated November 2, 2000. I started writing it in C++, but switched to C pretty early when I realized I didn't actually know how to use C++.

I made a lot of progress during the following January (winter break of my freshman year of college). The earliest snapshot that bears some resemblance to the current code is from January 14, 2001, almost exactly ten years ago. I attached it for entertainment value. asss was the largest piece of software I'd written, and I was clearly learning as I went along. Some of the old code is pretty embarrassing.

I haven't been involved with subspace in quite a while, but I still follow this forum, and it's really great to see all the activity around asss, even if things move a little slowly at times. asss has been much more successful than I could have hoped ten years ago, and that's mostly due to all of you, who suffered though all my bugs and bad documentation and keep using it and improving it. So to everyone that's been involved with the project over the years, thank you.

asss-20010114.zip - 17.12 KB
File downloaded or viewed 101 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

without you this game would have become boring long ago

hurray for grel!

BADP.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
stag shot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grel! Man, it has been too long..I recall the early builds of ASSS and remember getting excited about it. I still remember writing a lot of the soccer game code, cant believe it's been that long. I think we ran a test server on the old west coast SSCX box or something.

And yes those early bugs were fun, I can remember a few doozys:
- Packet priority bug causing the infamous disappearing ship. Reliable pkt sequence got irreversibly fubared. I think we logged packets for months trying to find it.

- Double-clutch ball fire, can't recall if it was the same bug as above, but it annoyed PBers for months. Maybe it was another priority issue, I recall numpf berating you for it lol.

The # of hours and megabytes of packet logs was astounding. Good times!

-stag
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey stag, glad to hear from you.

Yeah, once you and numpf started hacking on the ball and soccer code I basically left it to you. As a non-PBer, I missed all the subtle bits that were apparently very important, like some double-clutch thing.

For the first bug, if you mean the "lag coma" bug, that's an understatement. I just checked, and it was in the code from may 2003 to june 2006, over three years. I'd put it in the top five bugs I've had the ever honor of writing (and fixing). And I certainly remember hours of staring at packet dumps trying to figure out wtf was going on. I think I eventually figured out while I happened to be looking at that code for some other reason.

It was all fun, though (or I wouldn't have spent so much time on it).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 695 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.451545 seconds : 31 queries executed (94.4%): GZIP compression disabled