Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
graphics problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  ship sets Post :: Post Question for Bak-  View next topic  
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: graphics problem Reply to topic Reply with quote

so im starting my own zone and i put the graphics for m shipsets replacing the ships.bm2 file in my continuum folder and nowwww

i cant play any zones lol anyone care to elbortate? icon_sad.gif
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

... define 'can't play'

care to elaborate? tongue.gif

You might want to attach your file here as well, since there's probably something wrong with it.

You don't have to name it .bm2, by the way... and you can only use that extension if the file is a .bmp originally. If it's a .png, leave it as 'ships.png', changing the extension by renaming it will screw it up.
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well i deleted ships.bm2 in my continuum folder and replaced it with the shipset i was working on.
i think i messed up xD actually, i know i did.

when i went to play trench wars or something, it said "couldnt load (whatever the last shipnumber i loaded to continuum folder)"

and exited icon_sad.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
You might want to attach your file here as well, since there's probably something wrong with it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it wont let me attach anything, like i cant attach the whole graphics folder
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and i deleted all the ships files trying to fix it myself -.-
Samapico

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

... attach your shipset, not the whole graphics folder
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh ok hold on they were made as png but i re-saved them as bm2

i got it fixed to where i can play other zones, i just restored ships.bm2 from my recycle bin back into my graphics folder
Samapico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if it was png, just keep it as ships.png, or ship#.png, where # is from 1 to 8. And delete your ships.bm2 file.

Pro-tip: backup the entire original graphics folder and keep it as a subfolder named 'original' or something like that.
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
if it was png, just keep it as ships.png, or ship#.png, where # is from 1 to 8. And delete your ships.bm2 file.

Pro-tip: backup the entire original graphics folder and keep it as a subfolder named 'original' or something like that.
And if you lose it and ever need any of the files.. you can open up http://www.hlrse.net/subspace/ContinuumSetup040.exe in WinRAR and extract the specific files you need. (By the way, that RAR self-extracting executable has all PNGs in the graphics folder.)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks guys biggrin.gif you all have been a real help

specially when i screw up ^.^
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, now that i got the ships in there, only when im standing still will they show up, but when your moving around, the normal ships come back? =/ O.o
Samapico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Disable ship roll.

Note that if you use ship#.png files to override individual ships instead of ships.png, roll graphics will be ignored for that ship #.
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

how do i do that? =/
Samapico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Disabling ship roll? in the game options, obviously.
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
Disabling ship roll? in the game options, obviously.
Developmentally, that's probably a bad thing to do. If you have to require your clients to go and change a user-specific setting just to make things look right, then you better go and revise your whole structuring of LVZ.

I can't remember how you disable ship rolls, but I know there is a way. Perhaps make sure that 'ships' file doesn't exist in your zone's LVZ anywhere. *shrugs* icon_sad.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He didn't build any lvz though... but you're right, he should tongue.gif

If you have a custom ship graphics in a LVZ file, roll will be automatically disabled, unless you also have roll graphics in the lvz

Read the lvz-related questions here before asking anything else:
http://www.minegoboom.com/server/faq/buildlevel.html
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did that, put i put Ship1.png and so forth, do i take out the png and make it Ship1.lvz and still have the file .png? i used the program EZ image Rotator to create the shiproll =/
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1) You certainly didn't read the link I gave you... you can't just rename a .png file to .lvz... you need to create a .lvz file.

2) EZ ship rotator gives you the standard rotations (flat ship viewed from top, 0 to 360 degrees)... the ship ROLL is when you move around and your ship tilts left or right when you thrust. Making these require a 3D model and a lot of patience. You usually don't bother with them when making a shipset.
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i did but im slightly lost lol

so, i read that, now i need a program to turn it into .lvz from .png
and a 3d rotator? O.o too bad ssdownloads.com shut down icon_sad.gif

i dont know any other sites like that for SS lol
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the site I linked, there's a 'Downloads' section on the left, you can find the standard LVZToolkit there. The 'BuildLevel' he refers to is in there.

And you don't need a 3D rotator or whatever, you just won't have any ship roll, it's no big deal.
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah i downloaded that, but it only takes .ini files for lvz. if you dont know by now, im kind of computer illeterate lol

idunno how to make a .ini file for it even after i read it like 4 times =/
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A .ini file is a simple text file...

You can take the example.ini from the lvztoolkit, copy it and modify it for your needs, or right-click anywhere in a folder, new -> text file, and rename it as something.ini

You might want to have Windows show you the file extensions for that:
XP: Open any folder, tools -> options... , in the display tab, there's something about hiding known file extensions, uncheck it.
Vista/7: In the control panel, folder options, in the display tab, there's something about hiding known file extensions, uncheck it.
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

+1 to Sama for following proper helpdesk guidelines. sa_tongue.gif

The INI file tells the compiler (BuildLevel) what files to include, and how. So when you drag and drop it onto BuildLevel, assuming your INI is correctly written and valid in all places, the BuildLevel LVZ compiler will know what images to use and how to apply them.

In your case, you don't need to do anything more than have something like this:

Quote:
Outfile=graphics.lvz
File=bombs.bm2
File=bullets.bm2
File=disp.bm2
File=dropflag.bm2
File=empburst.bm2
File=engyfont.bm2
File=exhaust.bm2
File=explode0.bm2
File=explode1.bm2
File=explode2.bm2
File=flag.bm2
File=hlthrb.bm2
File=icons.bm2
File=kingex.bm2
File=led.bm2
File=mines.bm2
File=over5.bm2
File=prizes.bm2
File=ships.bm2
File=shrtfontf.bm2
File=tallfont.bm2
File=tallfontf.bm2
File=wall.bm2
File=warp.bm2

If you are only replacing graphics, that's pretty much all you would have to do. (Note: that was an example INI and you would have to modify it accordingly.)

Also, although I don't think it is absolutely necessary, try and keep all the characters in a filename lowercase (not Ship1.png, but ship1.png).

The lvztoolkit will also have an example INI file. If all you want to do is replace graphics in your zone, then you don't need to do anything more than what I mentioned above.
PandaBearHero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thank you for elborating lol
i couldnt make sence of the ini file last night,

but now that i have the .lvz do i put it in the program file for SS or do i put it in my server file and do ?getfile in my zone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> LVZ/LVL Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 705 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.423120 seconds : 50 queries executed (91.4%): GZIP compression disabled