Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
More Misc ASSS Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic  LVZ file location Post :: Post ASSS Wiki  View next topic  
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: More Misc ASSS Questions Reply to topic Reply with quote

For when I can't post in the other one.

so im trying to compile something that is using
strcasestr() and mkstemp()
but it was throwing linker undefined reference errors,
even though i had the wincompat header included, as well as the stdlib one.

i was able to bypass the strcasestr by copying the entire function over, but wasnt able to with the mkstemp because
_O_CREAT | _O_RDWR | _O_BINARY | _O_EXCL, _S_IREAD | _S_IWRITE
wasnt defined either despite the stdio header.

my guess is that i need to have some sort of -l linker option thingy to get this to work, but i have no idea which
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Attach the errors.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i figured it out eventually through clever use of a series of tubes.

these were needed
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

this was not
//#include <io.h>

Quote:
i was able to bypass the strcasestr by copying the entire function over

doing this for both and including the 2 headers worked.
my module compiled successfully, with only 2 hacks :D
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

simple question:

how do i add my settings to the ?quickfix list?

same question:

how does cfghelp work?
how does it find the values?
does it read the /* comments */?
why do you reference the handle pointer?
icon_eek.gif
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cheese wrote:
simple question:

how do i add my settings to the ?quickfix list?

Use cfghelp like all the other modules do.

Cheese wrote:
how does cfghelp work?

Reasonably well.

Cheese wrote:
how does it find the values?

Eh?

Cheese wrote:
does it read the /* comments */?

Yes.

Cheese wrote:

Eh?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

#1:
do i need to get the handle?
no, right?

do i need to recompile the module after adding the comments?
or does it read the source
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by handle. There are many handles in the asss core, but none of them make sense in the context of your question.

Which module? cfghelp? Yes. Your module with the comments? No.
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

from quickfix.c:
sh = &cfghelp->sections[i];

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by handle

this one
cfghelp = mm->GetInterface(I_CFGHELP, ALLARENAS);

how does quickfix get the helptext?
step by step process, please (also step by step to add just one entry)

edit:
nvm, &cfghelp->sections[i] doesnt mean &(cfghelp)->sections[i], it means &(cfghelp->sections[i]) -_-"
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Those are called interface pointers.

I have no idea about the nitty gritty details on quickfix. I've never bothered to look. I know help.c uses the same cfghelp interface to give ?help/?man information.

Here's the process to add an entry to cfghelp:
1.) Add a cfghelp comment to your source code. There are hundreds of examples in the asss source. Ask if you have specific questions about the formatting.
2.) make clean && make (technically you only need to rebuild cfghelp.inc and its dependents, but this gets it done).
3.) enjoy.
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cfghelp.inc isnt in the src
what am i making, does this mean rebuild the core?
could i compile just the cfghelp module instead?

and if i found this in a makefile
$(call tobuild, cfghelp.inc): $(builddir) $(SCRIPTS)/extract-cfg-docs.py
what does that mean to a zone not running python on a machine with no python?

isnt there a better way to do this?
couldnt there just be commands to permanently save an entry to a file like 'data/server.set' through ?addentry and ?removeentry or something?

only downside to this is the final server guy (you) has to pick what they want and manually add them into the final core...
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

cfghelp.inc is in ../build

Rebuilding cfghelp isn't enough. You need to make sure that cfghelp.inc gets rebuilt.

Python is only used during the compilation. You don't need python on the server to use cfghelp.

Nothing like that exists at the moment.
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i dont have a /build either :S

this seems important enough enough to revise, and i think what i have thought might be a good enough system (or so i think)

afterthought:

Quote:
only downside to this is the final server guy (you) has to pick what they want and manually add them into the final core

easily done by simply copying the file into the new build...

new downside:
someone has to be first to build the initial file

edit:
perhaps you can even have more than one .set file, and you can release a .set file with your module, allowing easy cfghelp access, with no commands needed.......

Last edited by Cheese on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't think you should be passing judgment on a system you've never even used.
Cheese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if its too difficult for a simpleton such as myself to use, it probably needs fixing :D

edit:

especially when it requires rebuilding a critical part of the core to update

edit 2:

and its best to redo it while its only used by quickfix and man, before it becomes more entrenched
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The issue was raised countless times before, I don't think you really have the right to tell people what they can and can't judge, Dr Brain. If ASSS is truly designed to be modular, then forcing someone to recompile the entire core for every such addition is unacceptable.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

&(cfghelp)->sections[i]
would be the same as:
cfghelp.sections[i]
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, I agree that cfghelp needs to support dynamic entries, Hakaku. I think there's even a bug filed for it. I don't agree that cheese's suggestions on the matter can be helpful before he's used the existing system.
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hakaku wrote:
If ASSS is truly designed to be modular, then forcing someone to recompile the entire core for every such addition is unacceptable.

Dead wrong. You only have to rerun extract-cfg-docs.py and rebuild cfghelp--one module. It just so happens the fastest way to do that is to run make. Furthermore, this is perfectly acceptable--I don't see how dynamic cfghelp would be any real help at all. The names of your settings do not change even weekly. If you have new settings that you absolutely want to see in ?quickfix (you're a weirdo for using this), then they can go in at the exact same time as everything else.

It seems to me some people have chosen some poor platforms and/or IDEs and/or combinations for asss in this thread and are now placing blame on Brain for their problems using something that isn't supported. (This I have surmised from the implication that rebuilding the core is not simple/fast/easy, no build/ folder, etc.) Not to mention the mind-boggling resistance to installing python...
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Cheese

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arnk Kilo Dylie wrote:
[..]

Furthermore, this is perfectly acceptable.

Dead wrong.
Having to recompile to add something new or every time you add a new module is unacceptable.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You don't have to. Just use ASSS the right way.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arnk Kilo Dylie wrote:
Dead wrong. You only have to rerun extract-cfg-docs.py and rebuild cfghelp--one module. It just so happens the fastest way to do that is to run make. Furthermore, this is perfectly acceptable--I don't see how dynamic cfghelp would be any real help at all. The names of your settings do not change even weekly. If you have new settings that you absolutely want to see in ?quickfix (you're a weirdo for using this), then they can go in at the exact same time as everything else.

It seems to me some people have chosen some poor platforms and/or IDEs and/or combinations for asss in this thread and are now placing blame on Brain for their problems using something that isn't supported. (This I have surmised from the implication that rebuilding the core is not simple/fast/easy, no build/ folder, etc.) Not to mention the mind-boggling resistance to installing python...

No one here ever placed any "blame" on Dr Brain. Please don't confuse comments that question the functionality of the server with personal attacks.

Moreover, this has nothing to do with inadequate integrated development environments or the lack of python. If that's really the only excuse you can come up with, then it's a poor one at best. While you may not have the need to use a certain aspect of the server very much, others do. In its current state, I find it highly inconvenient to have to build the entire core simply to make one such change. To add, it's not obvious how to run 'extract-cfg-docs.py' - the file provides no information on how to use it. Press the wrong button and you'll lock up your system. Although I don't always agree with L.C., rendering things more accessible to more people is an objective we should always take at heart.

Also, this wasn't by far my only reason for wanting to have it changed. However, you seem to have already placed a bias before trying to understand why the issue was ever raised. Therefore, it's useless to continue.
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cheese wrote:

Having to recompile to add something new or every time you add a new module is unacceptable.

Well I was going to give you style points for quoting part of what I said and then taking it out of context, but what you said is a contradiction. By that logic, adding new modules is unacceptable because you have to compile something.

Hak: Like I was saying with my post, if you find it inconvenient to build the core when compiling something else, then you are doing it wrong. That's really all I am saying. You don't have to run extract-cfg-docs manually, there is already a tool that does that effectively. Don't throw out messed up comments like implying you have to rebuild the entire core for one module, that was just silly and pretty frustrating to read.

I am not against doing anything to improve usability, but when people for no real reason refuse to use the already very easy options available to them--that is when it becomes pointless to continue (not the mention the spreading of outright falsehoods...) Anyway, if you don't want to have your comments come off as personal, maybe you should reconsider your last two sentences there.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://bitbucket.org/grelminar/asss/issue/23/dynamic-cfghelp

You'll notice my comments in that bug thread are reminiscent of cheese's comments, and I was wrong for the same reasons he was. I think in this case, I'm very qualified to judge.

Cfghelp is not seen as a major flaw at this point in time. It's not necessary to recompile the entire core to get the target module working. The cfghelp itself is only of secondary importance, as any new module is likely to have the defaults set appropriately. And cheese's experience not withstanding, it's easy to use.

On the other hand, there are flaws with it that haven't been discussed in this thread. Not having access to the source, for example. There have been some proposed changes to the way the asss core builds, and those changes would allow easier integration of a dynamic system. It's not realistic to do it without a build system overhaul.
Cheese

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

why is this considered better than copying the .set file over from the module folder you just downloaded into your /set directory, then typing ?quickfix :S

edit:
and for now, we dont even have to worry about modules being loaded
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't throw out messed up comments like implying you have to rebuild the entire core for one module, that was just silly and pretty frustrating to read.

If you can build a module out of cfghelp without ever once rebuilding the core, I would be interested in knowing how you managed to accomplish it. Otherwise, my comment stands.

Oh, and no where have I implied that I "refuse" to use what is currently available - I already do. I've merely stated that the current way is inconvenient and could be expanded and improved to address other needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 679 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.557259 seconds : 50 queries executed (79.2%): GZIP compression disabled