Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Another zone idea (I wish JeffP were here to comment)

View previous topic  Spawns Post :: Post Turf Flag Settings  View next topic  
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Another zone idea (I wish JeffP were here to comment) Reply to topic Reply with quote

SS Forum Thread Here

200 to 255 flags across the map. You can pick them up and drop them after some time. Flags act as a point/money tool rather than for actual flag-game objective. This is Command & Conquer style instead: every flag your frequency has captured (whether it be already dropped or still holding onto it) is worth a certain amount of points per 5 to 15 seconds.

You have to use this method to buy and upgrade your team to victory. There are different levels, but everyone starts out in the poorest ships. HyperSpace kind of does this already -- but I'm thinking strictly in terms of using some any form of SVS settings.

There are different levels of team upgrades:
* Initial level is the poorest ships of them all.
* Every frequency has an automatically assigned captain (cannot be an AFKer).
* Captain of the frequency has access to a team-wide ?buy menu. The team-wide buy menu has all the things under the regular ?buy plus a few extra neat stuff. When a regular ?buy item is bought for the whole team, that will advance the team's default spawn conditions (so if Captain bought a burst for the team, every time you spawn you will start with that burst in your inventory).

Some "extra neat" team-wide buy items are sort of like "specials" or "super weapons":
* You can buy other frequencies (and when you do, everyone on that frequency gets forced to join your frequency, and they end up serving under your command/leadership),
* buy a specific player (forces them to join your frequency and serve under you),
* you can send out a frequency-wide energy EMP (which will freeze everyone's recharge on that specified frequency),
* frequency-wide EMP (triggers engine shutdown on everyone on that specified frequency),
* frequency-wide communication disruption (// will no longer work -- thought about ;, #, and ", but I consider them to be "special alternate communication mediums" that are different from frequency-based chatting, which is influenced by or relative to //),
* frequency-wide radar disruption (scrambles or statics their radar, includes the revoked ability to attach to other members on that same frequency),
* confusbucate the set frequency of someone's ship (basically puts specified player on random frequency because their ships radio components got screwed up) (PS. yeah, I know confusbucate isn't a word -- my mind has a picture of what word I really want to use, but it's kind of blurry/jumbled as you see biggrin.gif)
* force all teammates on your frequency to attach to specified teammate (regardless of everyone's individual energy/bounty levels -- could save some people),
* short/medium/long-range frequency scanner (specify any 1 frequency and if any frequencies around it exist -- it will give you the frequency numbers and their assigned captain) (might be partially useless, as frequency numbers could be leaked out -- I wonder if there is a way to censor it for all players, including the number in their HUD and the %freq command)

Here is how the game starts:
* Everyone begins on their own and random frequency. Nobody is allowed to switch teams (this could be debatable -- needs more thought). Since everyone is by themselves, they're obviously the captain of their frequency.
* Since there are plenty of flags around, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone to go and hunt flags to collect points.
* People start buying each other. As the number of different teams decrease and as each team gets bigger, it gets more expensive to buy individual players (essentially it gets to the point where if you have two massive 32 vs 32 teams, you can save to buy out the best player on the other team)
* Ultimately, you have to buy out the last enemy team alive.

Other notes:
* When buying pilots from other frequencies, it costs more to buy captains that are commanding larger frequencies. In other words, after a frequency attains populations past a certain minimum number, it starts becoming more cost effective to buy whole frequencies (but in a massive 32 vs 32 scenario, in a long battle to try and win, one could save up enough money to buy out the other team's captain to gain a very possible winning advantage)
* Killing earns individual points, but not near as much as flag points.
* When a frequency captain uses a team-wide buy, he is using points from the "frequency flag points" (shown in stats/scores box by the way)
* The integrity and ideal fundamentals behind SVS is still maintained -- although it may be modified to better suit this form of gameplay. Greening is still a must if you want to get a better ship.
* You cannot use ?buy unless you are the captain; ?buy can be used anywhere (you do not have to be in safety).
* If you get bought, you lose all your assets. On frequencies of x or more players, a certain % of that frequencies assets get transferred over when they (the whole frequency) is bought. (Maybe 15% to 45% of all assets/technologies get transferred over -- not a high percent due to the lack of understanding of ancient/alien technologies and natural inefficiency and incompatibility with other team's technology. As far as 'what assets specifically are transferred,' that is random)

What happens when the game is over and there is only 1 remaining team?
* The game restarts, but with some handed out prizes
* Top x players in k:d can choose to have a perk for the next game (they cannot save perks, they can only chose and have 1 perk per game, and their perk lasts for only 1 game -- they must chose a perk to use for the next game. They lose their ability to chose a perk after either (1) a certain amount of time, (2) any one frequency attains a population of x or greater, or (3) x total frequencies remaining in the game.)

Two categories are "top x" are awarded; in a top 10, 7 of those players would be awarded for best k:d, while 3 awarded for highest kill points (duplicate winners are skipped over if they make it into the highest kill points -- debatable and needs more though ... was thinking that this might give a chance for award to more unique people).

The lower the population, the lower the "top x" stats (and thus less people get awarded). The greater the participating population, the highest the "top x" stats, but not past a certain point. For example, if 100 total players participated, we would only want 10 of them to receive an award. If 10 total players participated, we only want 1 or 2 of them to win an award. I think a 1:10 ratio would work good.

Some perks are:
* Permanent individual upgrades (lasts only for that game) -- they can chose x number of regular upgrades (there are three types: items, technologies, engine related. Items include repel, burst, thor, portal, rocket, brick. Technologies include multifire, xradar, stealth, cloak, antiwarp, EMP [?], bouncing guns, bouncing bombs. Engine related include speed, rotation, thrust, shrap, prox. There are no gun or bomb upgrades)

For items, you can chose only 1.
For technologies, you can chose 2.
For engine related, you can chose 3 to 5 (duplicate requests allowed).
You can chose to get upgrades from ONLY 1 of these 3 categories.

* Influential/enhancing upgrades -- these affect your value on the team. For example, one upgrade might be

(1) when you hold flags, you attribute some % more flag points to your team for each flag that you are carrying;
(2) you get some % more points than normally for making a kill (increases your chances for attaining another award -- debatable and needs more thought ... what if they won again, but would not be allowed to pick an "influential/enhancing upgrade" unless they won a third time -- repeat)
(3) you cost some % more to be affected by a frequency-wide action (except for frequency buyouts) ... this could slightly increase the cost of someone performing a frequency-wide disaster on yours
(4) some % more "influential" -- that is, when a frequency-wide disruption is performed on your team and everyone gets scattered to random individual frequencies, you have a chance to be unaffected and remain on the same team as your captain (without this, you have 100% chance to be put on a random frequency)

Notes:
* "Random frequency" includes non-empty frequencies.

Other uncategorized ideas:
* As far as game perks and team-wide ?buy's go, I was thinking of a "random warp". One form could be
(1) a lifesaver perk -- if you choose this, you can use ?warpspeed or something and then for 5 to 10 seconds you would be warped constantly randomly around the map (to create a cool warp animation show across the map) and then finally settled to some random spot on the map.
(2) ?buy form -- warps everyone on specified frequency to random locations on map in the same manner described above.

* One kind of perk could be a captain-only, one-time use thing; warp your entire team to a specific coordinate (only ONE coordinate for all).

Other notes:
* To de-captain yourself, you must go into Spectator mode.
* When you join back in as a ship from spectator mode (if you were previously on a team), you will be placed back in that same frequency.
* If you go into spectator mode, your frequency gets bought while you are in spectator mode, and then you join back in, you will be placed on that frequency that bought the frequency you previously played in
* If you a new player to the current game, you will be placed on your own frequency

If there is a scenario where 32 vs 32 vs 1 -- because of the number of remaining frequencies, the ratio of frequency population, you will be very cheap to buy.

Might be determined based on the 'average'/mean and mode. If there is 16 vs 16 vs 16 -- to buy a player from one of the other two frequencies will be equally costly as it would be for the other captains on the other frequencies. In the 32 vs 32 vs 1 example, either 32-player sized team's captains could buy that lone player for cheap, but to buy a player from the other 32-player sized team would cost.

Ok. I'm really tired now. I spent a couple hours writing this whole post when the idea hit me. I'm thinking it is a supreme and grand idea. biggrin.gif I actually want this to happen (using one of the SVS settings though; would be modified to have the 200 or 255 flags). I think the 255 flags would work better than 200.

Last edited by L.C. on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You almost described my zone lol. Besides the buying freqs part. Its just GDI vs NOD, but we have harvesting using flags, buying team wide upgrades for the duration of the game, superweapons, credits, buyable turrets, tech tree (consisting of requires upgrades and destroyable buildings), and i'm working on being able to expand to an outpost using a MCV.
Upgrades effect both client settings and other arena config like rewards, what buildings will be built.

Look for Command & Conquer in the zone list, its about 75% done

I can give you a harvest ASSS module if you want. Collect flags at a tib field (in ship 5), unload them into an ore refinery. When the tib field depletes, change a lvz. The ore refinery can be destroyed by shooting at it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The difference between your C&C zone and this is that it isn't about winning a flag game or destroying the other base, and it is completely themed and toned to VIE/SVS/nostalgic touch. I think it makes an almost perfect match with SVS styled settings.

There is also no refinery or ores. Flagging is make unique in that you aren't supposed to collect all 255 flags to win the flag game, but rather use them as a source of flag points as a currency. You can pick up a flag, carry it for say 60 seconds, you drop it and you have to defend that flag (they are captured when dropped to add to the challenge and give the other teams a chance).

Similarity to C&C: you collect a specific resource for money.
Difference to C&C: In C&C, you do not flag. In my idea, you do flag. The only difference in flagging is that while everything in flagging is the same (which is to capture all flags to win the flag game -- like in DSB and EG), it is not about >winning the flag game<.

Say for instance there are two large 32v32 teams. Everyone is scattered throughout the map (and so are the flags and anyone carrying one or more flags). You have to try to keep the flag from the enemy and get more flags -- but only so that you could attain enough flag points for your frequency for a frequency-buyout; running flag deathmatch + ctf (except without the flag win part). In the mean time, it is also beneficial to focus on offense and attaining good k:d -- as it could be rewarding by the end of the game; deathmatch.

Unfortunately the powerball serves no purpose in my idea, so it would not be in the picture.

It is a mixture of T3 Guantlet, Hyperspace, Command & Conquer, Death Star Battle, Trench Wars, a bunch of the different gameplays of SVS such as powerball, running flag deathmatch, deathmatch, capture the flag, etc, (and I think there was another zone or two I forgot about). From my perspective, I am unable to see this closer to being one of these.

Thanks for the read and comment Jowie! biggrin.gif

Last edited by L.C. on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah so its kind of like that event in TW where if you kill the caption of a team, the entire team joins you. And the last surviving team wins

Only instead with flags and a buy system.

The basic gameplay shouldn't be very hard to code. You will really need ASSS for this tho. I could probably help you with some modules.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, this is an ASSS-must. You can't do this with Subgame, even if you used a bot. There are some critical parts of the gameplay that a bot would be unable to do or too slow and inefficient to do.

It combines several different aspects/gamemodes and then modifies them for a specific kind of gameplay ... a gameplay that I think it unique enough to be called its own gamemode.

Some ways that I kind of imagine this gamemode -- keyword-wise -- might be 'space pirates,' 'galactic empires,' 'building a space empire/fleet/armada,' 'conquering and ruling all of space,' etc.

It is like DSB in that you have to go and capture as many flags possible to win the flag game.

It is like TW in that you have to go and capture the flag and hold it as long as possible to win the flag game; TW also involves a balance of defense and offense.

It is like the TW example you gave too (sort of like zombies too, isn't it?).

It is like T3 Gauntlet in that it has 100+ flags and involves an intense gameplay in going after the flags to win the game.

It is like Command & Conquer in that you go after a specific resource to earn credits to buy stuff, repair things, and advance in the tech tree.

It is like EG in that it is classically about going after the flags, deploying them in a flag room of a base, defending the flags, and attaining all flags to win (in other words, basing).

It is like HyperSpace in that the buy and upgrade menu (tech tree sort of thing) and its money system.

It is like Alpha West/Chaos Zone in that it is particularly a sort of deathmatch. In the original SVS settings, greening is a must. (Chaos appears to be using very enhanced settings and focuses much less on greening than what SVS originally intended; "sped up" version of SVS.)

It is like Jackpot Zone/SVS in that it is a running flag deathmatch style of play.

But my idea is not necessarily like any one of them either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 638 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.604479 seconds : 30 queries executed (95.1%): GZIP compression disabled