Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ASSS 1.5.0rc1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic  ASSS Compile errors on Centos 6 Post :: Post [Soccer] Mode=0 returns Enemy Goal ins...  View next topic  
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's the purpose of a periodic message if it's not periodically displayed? tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Periodic message timings are from when the arena is created, not from when the player enters the zone. So, I'd think it'd be relatively useless to have it display once.

On the other hand, if that's what you want, then specifying a very large number such as 1 billion would tide you over until the year 3911 AD.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hakaku wrote:
What's the purpose of a periodic message if it's not periodically displayed? tongue.gif

touche~

it particularly useful when a user enters (creation) then maybe shoots a few bombs and leaves (destruction). You could then use this as an extended greet message, to display extended rules or w/e.

i suppose you win this time, Brain!
~twirls moustache and cackles~

--edit--
Cheese wrote:
also, could the delay/interval be in seconds instead of minutes?
it allows more precision in the delivery of messages

what about this?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about it? We could make it be specified down to the millisecond, but I don't see how that'd be any more useful than to the minute. This is especially true when you consider that it's based on arena creation, not player entrance.

They're general informational messages. If you're looking to do something more, you should make a new module.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For periodic messages, seconds are way more practical than milliseconds or minutes. Seriously.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why? I've been a zone operator for almost 10 years, and I've never once thought it'd be nice to have finer resolution than 1 minute on my periodic messages. What are you doing that you need seconds? I can't take this request seriously until I have an example.
Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cheese wrote:
You could then use this as an extended greet message, to display extended rules or w/e.

with something this easy to implement, what reason could you have to reject having better precision?
--edit: i would even be willing to write this stuff FOR you

also, while we are on the topic, does asss currently support the little-known subgame feature where adding * in front of the msg makes it zone-wide?
--edit: looked, no it doesnt
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It wouldn't work for rules, since as I've already stated, it's not relative to when the players enter.

If you're willing to write it, why are you trying to convince me that it's necessary?
Cheese

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

because it isnt about what i think i need, its about what i think other people need.

a lot of the people who will be using this software to run zones will have no idea how to write modules, or even how to find those written by others.
which is the reason that the work you do is far more important than i or anyone else does.

ex
more lines of text have been written in this message than the lines of code needed to fix every change listed
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not like only Brain can write code for asss core...

This is pretty trivial in the scheme of things. Submit a patch to the existing module. Brain should worry about the heavy duty stuff.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be a greet message? tongue.gif
KrynetiX
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
Wouldn't that be a greet message? tongue.gif

Yea.. tongue.gif

And I also can't think of any possible use of seconds for periodic messages.. If I came into a zone and their periodic messages were sent every 59 seconds I would either leave or hit esc-F5.. They're general messages.. Periodic... Every now and then.. Why am I defining a simple word..?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If the unit is in minutes, you can only specify by minutes. What if I wanted a message to display every 1.5 minutes? Can I use decimals?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

*have* you ever wanted to display a message every 90 seconds? I never have, and I've been a zone op for a long time. Even so, is it worth the hassle of breaking backwards compatibility for every zone? No. Use 2 minutes, and you players will be happier anyway.
Samapico

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go AFK for 15 minutes and your screen is spammed with green crap. How fun.

Anything shorter than 10 minutes is just annoying as hell.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
Go AFK for 15 minutes and your screen is spammed with green crap. How fun.

Anything shorter than 10 minutes is just annoying as hell.
Why not just up it to hours from minutes? I think anything less than an hour is SPAM. tongue.gif

Down with "minutes" unit.
Cheese

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

or perhaps i dont like green messages, so ill up the interval to years so i can get my green 'happy birthday' and 'merry xmas' messages
Samapico

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

L.C. wrote:
[..]

Why not just up it to hours from minutes? I think anything less than an hour is SPAM. tongue.gif

Down with "minutes" unit.
That wasn't a serious argument, right?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been running zones a very long time, and I realize the need for microsecond accuracy with periodic messages. If my message isn't repeated every 32 minutes, 15 seconds, and 823 microseconds, I will be insanely pissed.

Also, I like the color blue, so we should go with that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lag must piss you off a lot.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
I've been running zones a very long time, and I realize the need for microsecond accuracy with periodic messages. If my message isn't repeated every 32 minutes, 15 seconds, and 823 microseconds, I will be insanely pissed.

Also, I like the color blue, so we should go with that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time
Quote:
Time is part of the measuring system used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify the motions of objects. Time has been a major subject of religion, philosophy, and science, but defining it in a non-controversial manner applicable to all fields of study has consistently eluded the greatest scholars.

Time is one of the seven fundamental physical quantities in the International System of Units. Time is used to define other quantities ? such as velocity ? so defining time in terms of such quantities would result in circularity of definition.[1] An operational definition of time, wherein one says that observing a certain number of repetitions of one or another standard cyclical event (such as the passage of a free-swinging pendulum) constitutes one standard unit such as the second, is highly useful in the conduct of both advanced experiments and everyday affairs of life. The operational definition leaves aside the question whether there is something called time, apart from the counting activity just mentioned, that flows and that can be measured. Investigations of a single continuum called spacetime bring questions about space into questions about time, questions that have their roots in the works of early students of natural philosophy.

Among prominent philosophers, there are two distinct viewpoints on time. One view is that time is part of the fundamental structure of the universe, a dimension in which events occur in sequence. Time travel, in this view, becomes a possibility as other "times" persist like frames of a film strip, spread out across the time line. Sir Isaac Newton subscribed to this realist view, and hence it is sometimes referred to as Newtonian time.[2][3] The opposing view is that time does not refer to any kind of "container" that events and objects "move through", nor to any entity that "flows", but that it is instead part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. This second view, in the tradition of Gottfried Leibniz[4] and Immanuel Kant,[5][6] holds that time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be travelled.

Temporal measurement has occupied scientists and technologists, and was a prime motivation in navigation and astronomy. Periodic events and periodic motion have long served as standards for units of time. Examples include the apparent motion of the sun across the sky, the phases of the moon, the swing of a pendulum, and the beat of a heart. Currently, the international unit of time, the second, is defined in terms of radiation emitted by caesium atoms (see below). Time is also of significant social importance, having economic value ("time is money") as well as personal value, due to an awareness of the limited time in each day and in human life spans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second
Quote:
The second (SI symbol: s), sometimes abbreviated sec., is the name of a unit of time, and is the International System of Units (SI) base unit of time. It may be measured using a clock.

Early definitions of the second were based on the motion of the earth: 24 hours in a day meant that the second could be defined as 1⁄86  400 of the average time required for the earth to complete one rotation about its axis. However, nineteenth- and twentieth-century astronomical observations revealed that this average time is lengthening, and thus the motion of the earth is no longer considered a suitable standard for definition. With the advent of atomic clocks, it became feasible to define the second based on fundamental properties of nature. Since 1967, the second has been defined to be

the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.[1]

SI prefixes are frequently combined with the word second to denote subdivisions of the second, e.g., the millisecond (one thousandth of a second), the microsecond (one millionth of a second), and the nanosecond (one billionth of a second). Though SI prefixes may also be used to form multiples of the second such as kilosecond (one thousand seconds), such units are rarely used in practice. The more common larger non-SI units of time are not formed by powers of ten; instead, the second is multiplied by 60 to form a minute, which is multiplied by 60 to form an hour, which is multiplied by 24 to form a day.

The second was also the base unit of time in the centimetre-gram-second, metre-kilogram-second, metre-tonne-second, and foot-pound-second systems of units.

Sir, "minute" is not an SI Unit, whereas "second" is. SI Units / Metric > *

Why not be logical and ethical? biggrin.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh oh! And get this: Wolfram Alpha computational search engine even says second is the standard unit for time measurement. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=units+of+time

Also, why are "seconds" the standard base unit for DNS zone files? (That is what they are by default if you do not specify a unit following your value, such as h, w, d, or m.) Yet, who the fghwds needs expirations and TTLs of 1 second? Huh?

And just out of curiosity (not for argumentative purposes), are there any games out there that actually use "minute" as a standard unit of time measurement for triggers, delays, durations, etc?

EDIT: Fun read @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time (aka unix epoc)
Samapico

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many seconds lasts a year?

See, seconds aren't always relevant tongue.gif

Lots of things are specified in minutes... Autosaves in programs, afk delay in Live Messenger, etc...

Also:

minutes.png - 89.82 KB
File downloaded or viewed 134 time(s)
Cheese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would like to propose a slogan for ASSS to use.

Quote:

ASSS:
Nothing is impossible.

would be interesting for it to have a logo too.
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nothing is impossible...unless you need to change the client.
Cheese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

also, created this wiki page:
http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/Writing_Advanced_Modules_In_C

its hard to learn to write this stuff, and the wiki is very low detail.
I hope someone who knows what theyre doing will take the time to fill this in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 441 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.639917 seconds : 52 queries executed (81.0%): GZIP compression disabled