Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Protocol Shorthand Conventions

View previous topic  chasm -- python parts of subspace Post :: Post Central 1.0 (your new distributed dir...  View next topic  
divine.216

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Protocol Shorthand Conventions Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm mulling over shorthand naming conventions for subspace protocols. The protocol labels in this many-server mud-puddle has been a hurdle that every new subspace developer eventually must cross. But I'd like to make it a little less confusing.

ASSS uses C2S / S2C for player -> zone, zone -> player packets. And for billing conversations, it uses S2B / B2S.

Client/Server labels are useful to clarify, in a technical sense, who listens and who initiates connections between any 2 ends of a conversation.

But "Players" connect to listening "Zones", and "Zones" connect to listening "Billers". (And to make it more confusing, players conceptually "login" to billers -- but there is no direct connection between players and billers.)

So Zone's are servers for Player clients, but Billers are also servers to Zone clients. It does violence to the mind to label a billing client as "server".

So I'd prefer to use P2Z / Z2P / Z2B / B2Z.

But I'm not. My sense is that a sizable chunk of developers are comfortable with S2C/C2S for player/zone communications, and they would be baffled by P2Z/Z2P. Plus, some zone settings explicitly use the S/C naming convention.

So I'm thinking to use C2S / S2C / Z2B / B2Z.

If anyone has thoughts on this, or has other examples of conventional uses, I'd love to hear them.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think it's perfectly clear, especially since your average developer isn't working in the billing section of the code.

I think since the S is already in wide use with S2C and C2S, it'd actually make it more confusing to remove it from the S2B and B2S.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

*agrees with Brain*

Who initiated the connection between the zone and the biller is mostly meaningless when you just want to know the lag between the two. The "server" should always refer to the zone server, in the average developer/player's head
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With my biller - I use the notation's B->S and S->B. I don't think it really matters as brain mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 397 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.505102 seconds : 30 queries executed (85.3%): GZIP compression disabled