Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Any security risks with setting up server on home network?

View previous topic  AIO Server Kit v2 (Full) Post :: Post ?go command querry  View next topic  
Papa G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Any security risks with setting up server on home network? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any security risks with setting up server on home network? I would like to set up a computer running linux or xp as a computer on our home network. We have about 3 other computers on the same network.

My network manager says that it would be a security risk to the other computers on the network if I were to have the server running on the network. The server would be connected to a netgear wireless router and I would have ports 80 and 21 opened just for the internal ip address of the server. (for example, the server is on 192.168.0.3, and I had just the two ports open for it, while there were computers on 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.4).

The netgear router has a firewall built into it. Each of the other computers on the network have software firewalls. I would not have a firewall on the server, and I really don't care if someone hacks it. So, what at worst could happen? Would the other computers be at risk?

If you are a professional, I want your opinion also. It would help if you posted your previous experience with related stuff.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you are hosting something locally for LAN play, you don't need to worry about port forwarding.

If you are wanting people from outside your local area network (LAN) to be able to find, connect and play in your server, then you will have to forward ports; generally the primary security risk is you, yourself, the user of the machine. That basically applies to everyone including me. There isn't very much of a security risk hosting Subspace serverware though.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Papa G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I'm saying as a webserver. I would be running linux, apache, and ftp. Yes, I would be using port forwarding.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well for a webserver as long as you have things like PHP secured and access to the server secure and tight you shouldn't have much of a problem.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

in the worst case, if the server somehow gets hacked (which by the way, I've never heard of for either asss or subgame), it would make the firewall provided by the router useless. Additionally, if there are any trusted services between the server's computer and the other computers, they could be exploited (can't trust anything sent from a compromised computer).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 666 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.624659 seconds : 29 queries executed (86.0%): GZIP compression disabled