Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
merv kill() in linkedlists

View previous topic  MERV Bot plug in request -Its an easy ... Post :: Post Bot Plugin  View next topic  
ThunderJam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: merv kill() in linkedlists Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok in this plugin im maintaining a linkedlist of players that are within a certain area on the map.

in playermove event i check if they are outside of the area, then if they WERE within the linkedlist. If so, they WERE in it, but just moved out of the area, so i need to remove them from the linkedlist.

Looked up the linkedlist functions that merv provides, and doing kill(player) throws a popup debug error from my mervbot!!!

Anyone know anythign abotu this?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
ThunderJam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More info:
im running msvc 6.0

The error message pertains to some dbsomething.c file that is not part of the merv source files i dont think

i donno what the heck is going on :/
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

your loop probably sucks. post the code surrounding your kill function call.
ThunderJam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The problem occurs where i do kill(p) on either of the linkedlists
Code: Show/Hide

case EVENT_PlayerMove:
      {
         Player *p = (Player*)event.p[0];

if(inHill(p)) {
            if(p->team==0) {
               if(team0Players.find(p) == NULL) {
                  team0Players.append(p);
                  sendPublic("player entered hill");
               }
            }
            else if(p->team==1) {
               if(team1Players.find(p) == NULL) {
                  team1Players.append(p);
                  sendPublic("player entered hill");
               }
            }
         }
         else { //if not in hill
            if(p->team==0 && team0Players.find(p)!=NULL) {
               sendPublic("player left hill");
               team0Players.kill(p);
            }
            else if(p->team==1 && team1Players.find(p)!=NULL) {
               sendPublic("player left hill");
               team1Players.kill(p);
            }
         }

}

and heres the linkedlists declarations:

_linkedlist <Player> team0Players;  //team 0 players in the hill
   _linkedlist <Player> team1Players;  //team 1 players in the hill
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh...

The problem is:
when you call 'kill', it scrolls through the list, finds the pointer to the item, and DELETES the data. ie it doesn't only clear it from the list, it also deletes the original Player struct created by the bot. So from that point, the bot is screwed up because it cleared memory that it was still using. If you check the code of the .kill() method, you'll find a 'delete' statement that does exactly that.

There are 4 possible solutions that I can think of:

The first one can be guessed by checking the .kill() method, you'll find a 'if (copy)' or something (from memory). So you can set the copy value to true before killing. However, this solution sucks cause 'copy' is set back to false at a couple of places in the code.

The second solution is to use .unlist(p) instead of kill. As the name says, it only unlists the item, without deleting the original struct. If you check the code, you'll see that it actually sets copy to false, then calls the kill() method. So it's pretty much like solution #1, except easier. You have to watch out when you clear the list though... Not sure if there's a method to clear it without killing original structs, or if you need to unlist them all ... anyway you'll figure it out.

The third solution is to make a list of 'Player *' instead of a list of 'Player'. This makes a lot of things more complicated in the code though...

The fourth solution, the one that I always use, is to create your own PlayerData struct or class. Your own class could hold information like kills, deaths, and goals, or whatever stats you want. And you'd have a name field so you can find a specific player in your list.
This solution allows you to keep stats of players even after they left the game. And their stats can stay if they come back a few seconds later. You can do pretty much anything you want, and you don't have to worry about affecting the original data. If you're using a lot of tags for different data, this method also makes it more efficient cause everything is at the same place. You just have to handle the players coming in and out of the arena correctly.

If you don't have to get any more complicated than what you have there, simply using .unlist(p) would work fine I think. But if you want to keep track of more things, managing a list of your own struct could be a good option.
I hope that (long) post helped... kind of tired, so if anything is not clear... well... TOO BAD >=)
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

arg, I forgot to look in the listnode destructor... good find samp (i guess this is why people hate c++). Looks like when you declare the linkedlist initializing it with true will prevent it from freeing the Players

_linkedlist <Player> team0Players(true);  //team 0 players in the hill
_linkedlist <Player> team1Players(true);  //team 1 players in the hill
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
ThunderJam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

*bows down to sama*
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
arg, I forgot to look in the listnode destructor... good find samp (i guess this is why people hate c++). Looks like when you declare the linkedlist initializing it with true will prevent it from freeing the Players

_linkedlist <Player> team0Players(true);  //team 0 players in the hill
_linkedlist <Player> team1Players(true);  //team 1 players in the hill
Yeah that should work too... if you do that, however, don't use the unlist anywhere, cause:

TEMPLATE void _linkedlist <AnonymousStruct>::unlist(AnonymousStruct *item)
{
   copy = true;
   kill(item);
   copy = false;
}

For some reason it resets it to false, whatever it was set to before...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Bot Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 607 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.540966 seconds : 34 queries executed (91.7%): GZIP compression disabled