Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Request for a new Server.zip build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Connecting Wiimotes to computers Post :: Post Science Fair - Liquid Nitrogen Project  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:44 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Request for a new Server.zip build Reply to topic Reply with quote

If Continuum 0.39 comes out, we'll need to redo the server.zip. So now is the time if you want to change how it will be. Want a different billing server in there? Want some specific LVZ tools or some help documents?

Post suggestions, files you'd want, or whole replacement server.zip files. Want to change the LVZ toolkit, do it now as well. Zip attachment limits have been increase, so you should be able to attach anything you need.

Any posts not about this discussion will be replace with text making fun of the poster. Do it again, and I'll get Spyed on your ass.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:37 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

- Put Catid's Biller in the server.zip (Or any others).
- Fix Certain errors with Windows 2003 not working.
- Release the new "Update.exe". (He didnt for .39 pr1 =/)
- Proper directories in the server.ini
- Allow for split servers, to host servers at different locations for best ping.
- Disable Shutdown
- Allow for server content to be downloaded via web instead of from the server.
- Create *add(sysop/smod/mod)/*remove(sysop/smod/mod) command.

Last edited by Confess on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:39 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was going to say rename the asss zip, but really, catid's biller and the cross platform lvz kit would be cool.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:00 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Confess wrote:
List of Subgame requests

I'm sorry if this wasn't clean. Subgame itself won't be updated much beyond it will work with 0.39. But since there will be a new release, I'm going to replace normal server files with ones that will work better. Such as a different billing server. Maybe a cleaner server.ini instead of the one I edited almost 10 years ago with comments all over the place. Possibly move files into folders, so you have a Zone folder, a Billing folder, maybe Tools that contain LVL and LVZ programs.
Cancer+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:16 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would keep that server.ini in there. It has comments in there, but it is very noob friendly. If you take the comments out, they won't know wtf anything is.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:36 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So basically you wouldn't know how to host your zones.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:18 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wouldn't keep the server.ini but actually change it into something more noob friendly, as I don't think this one's noob-friendly at all. And by that I mean the default settings and the comments, or lack thereof.

Also, I think comments should actually be above the corresponding setting variable.

At the moment, this is the current server.ini in the archive:

Code: Show/Hide
//You can delete anything with the // infront, they are their to help you get the basics... Mine GO BOOM  http://www.shanky.com/server/
//This is currently, at time of download, 1.34.14 subgame

[Custom]
ArenaMode=0
//1=Any player can create an own a new subarena
//2=Only mods+ can own newly created subarenas
//3=Smods+ own new subarenas
//4=Sysops own new subarenas
//5=New subarenas won't make new files, will just use spawn.cfg instead. If a .cfg is already created for subarena, will use that instead

[Arena]
ArenaMaxPlayers=200
ArenaDesiredPlayers=100
ArenaMinimumPlayers=25
SpawnKeepScores=1
MaxArenas=2000
MaxArenasMemory=64000

[Comms]
MaxQueueToLogin=16
PacketHistoryMax=2000
IncomingBufferSize=131072
OutgoingBufferSize=131072
EncryptMode=1
UnreliableBufferSize=128
TransportBufferSize=160
FlushTime=10
BandwithIdleTime=21600
SelectTime=10

[Misc]
DisableShareware=0
RegisterKickShareware=0
MaxSharewarePlayers=-1
MaxPlayers=200
MaxSharewareTime=90000000
DisableSharewareNames=0
DisableSharewareShips=0
DisableSharewareScores=0
MenuKickOutDelay=12000
NoAntiInSafe=0
//If 1, then if in a safty, SS will ignore that player's anti
LockFreqs=0
//If 1, then *lock doesn't allow freq change
PositionDataAccess=2
//if 0, sysops see player stats in spec. If 1, smods/sysops can. If 2, then mod/smods/sysops can
AlertCommand=cheater
//so ?cheater {text} will send to online mods
AllowPubScorereset=0
AllowPvtScorereset=0
//If 1, ?scorereset will reset player's score
TimerDropFlagTerritoryRadius=8
//If non-0, then all non-neutral droped flags X tiles away from ship. More info in FAQ at Server Help Site
ShipTypeSwitchResetPeriod=0
//If non-0, than if someone does X amount of shipchanges that is in the .cfg in this amount of time (in milliseconds), then kicks them off
CheckWeapons=1
//Leave this set to 1, so it detects more of different type of cheats.. will kick them out if in .cfg the [Security] SecurityKickoff is 1
CheckFastBombing=0
//More info on website
FastBombingThreshold=30
//More info on website
ForceObsceneCheck=0
//0 = normal, 1 = everyone has obscene checking on
NoFlagRewardLimit=0
//If set non-zero reward multiplier limit is removed in FlagRewardMode 1. Multiplier is (maximumAllowedPerTeam / numberOfTeamMembers), if NoFlagRewardLimit is set 0
multiplier is limited by 2.
LogPoints=0
PointUpdateDiff=500
JackpotBroadcastPoints=0
ServerLog=1
KeepAliveDelay=500
DefaultLevelFile=_bzw.lvl
//Change to your map file name
Port=
//Make it something round, like 1000, 2000, etc. Change this if you are running more than one zone off same billing
AllowVIEClients=1
//If you wish to restrict your zone to continuum only, set to 0. If you want everyone to play, set to 1
StaffChat=
//Divide staff chat channels by commas. Only mods+ can join these local chats.
ForceContinuumOnly=0
//If set to 1, will only let continuum users enter zone
ServerIP=
//Set to the server's IP #. This is used for *einfo's proxy detection
AllowPrerelease=1
//Set to 1, people with newer continuum can enter. Set to 0, only current client will be allowed in

[CPU]
LoopDelay=0
ProcessMaxTime=4
SleepPerIteration=0
SlowIterationWarningLevel=100
SleepTime=0

[Permission]
AllowBadMachineId=1
AllowLowBandwidth=1
MinimumSecondsToLogin=0
PermissionMaxPoints=0
PermissionMode=0
AutoPermissionPoints=0
AutoPermissionIDList=0
AutoPermissionMessage=Congratulations

[Password]
SysopPassword=
EnergyPassword=
ModeratorPassword=
SuperModeratorPassword=
VIPPassword=
//Change all to what you want

[Billing]
LogMessages=0
IP=127.0.0.1
Password=
//What is the billing pw in the subbill.ini
ServerName=
//Zone name
Port=185
ServerId=4483
//Make the same as in [Misc] Port=
GroupId=1
ScoreId=0
ReconnectTime=12000
AttemptTime=6400

[Advertise]
SendMode=0
DisplayMode=0
Duration=6000

[Validation]
CheckMod=0
CheckSMod=0
CheckSysop=0
LogPubCommands=*
LogPvtCommands=*
DisablePubCommands=
DisablePvtCommands=
//Help at http://www.shanky.com/server/ in FAQ section for Subgame2

[Directory]
IP=sscentral.ds98.com,sscentral.subspace.inet.fi,sscentral.subspace.net,sscentral.subspacehq.com
Description=
//What you want to have for the description of zone
NamePassword=
//Pick anything you want
Port=4991

I think it should work "out of the box" (not sure if it does, but it doesn't seem like it).
I think these should be the new defaults:
Code: Show/Hide
[Custom]
ArenaMode=5

[Misc]
Port= // assign a default port number > 1024

[Billing]
IP=localhost

And well, maybe update the comments and make them more noob-friendly.
The crucial settings (that decide whether the server actually works and allows people to join it) lack comments. Those settings bring the newbies to these forums and make them ask for help.

Quote:
// Any line starting with "//" is a comment. You can safely delete this as they are only for you to help you get the basics.
// Go to http://www.shanky.com/server/ for more information, http://forums.minegoboom.com/ for assistance.
//
This is currently, at time of download, 1.34.14 subgame

[Custom]
ArenaMode=5
//1=Any player can create an own a new subarena
//2=Only mods+ can own newly created subarenas
//3=Smods+ own new subarenas
//4=Sysops own new subarenas
//5=New subarenas won't make new files, will just use spawn.cfg instead. If a .cfg is already created for subarena, will use that instead

[Arena]
ArenaMaxPlayers=200
ArenaDesiredPlayers=100
ArenaMinimumPlayers=25
SpawnKeepScores=1
MaxArenas=2000
MaxArenasMemory=64000

[Comms]
MaxQueueToLogin=16
PacketHistoryMax=2000
IncomingBufferSize=131072
OutgoingBufferSize=131072
EncryptMode=1
UnreliableBufferSize=128
TransportBufferSize=160
FlushTime=10
BandwithIdleTime=21600
SelectTime=10

[Misc]
DisableShareware=0
RegisterKickShareware=0
MaxSharewarePlayers=-1
MaxPlayers=200
MaxSharewareTime=90000000
DisableSharewareNames=0
DisableSharewareShips=0
DisableSharewareScores=0
MenuKickOutDelay=12000
NoAntiInSafe=0
//If 1, then if in a safty, SS will ignore that player's anti
LockFreqs=0
//If 1, then *lock doesn't allow freq change
PositionDataAccess=2
//if 0, sysops see player stats in spec. If 1, smods/sysops can. If 2, then mod/smods/sysops can
AlertCommand=cheater
//so ?cheater {text} will send to online mods
AllowPubScorereset=0
AllowPvtScorereset=0
//If 1, ?scorereset will reset player's score
TimerDropFlagTerritoryRadius=8
//If non-0, then all non-neutral droped flags X tiles away from ship. More info in FAQ at Server Help Site
ShipTypeSwitchResetPeriod=0
//If non-0, than if someone does X amount of shipchanges that is in the .cfg in this amount of time (in milliseconds), then kicks them off
CheckWeapons=1
//Leave this set to 1, so it detects more of different type of cheats.. will kick them out if in .cfg the [Security] SecurityKickoff is 1
CheckFastBombing=0
//More info on website
FastBombingThreshold=30
//More info on website
ForceObsceneCheck=0
//0 = normal, 1 = everyone has obscene checking on
NoFlagRewardLimit=0
//If set non-zero reward multiplier limit is removed in FlagRewardMode 1. Multiplier is (maximumAllowedPerTeam / numberOfTeamMembers), if NoFlagRewardLimit is set 0
multiplier is limited by 2.
LogPoints=0
PointUpdateDiff=500
JackpotBroadcastPoints=0
ServerLog=1
KeepAliveDelay=500
DefaultLevelFile=_bzw.lvl
//Change to your map file name
Port=4483
//Make it something round, like 1000, 2000, etc. Change this if you are running more than one zone off same billing
AllowVIEClients=1
//If you wish to restrict your zone to continuum only, set to 0. If you want everyone to play, set to 1
StaffChat=
//Divide staff chat channels by commas. Only mods+ can join these local chats.
ForceContinuumOnly=0
//If set to 1, will only let continuum users enter zone
ServerIP=
// Set to the server's IP # (you can find this IP address on www.whatismyip.com). This is used for *einfo's proxy detection.
AllowPrerelease=1
//Set to 1, people with newer continuum can enter. Set to 0, only current client will be allowed in

[CPU]
LoopDelay=0
ProcessMaxTime=4
SleepPerIteration=0
SlowIterationWarningLevel=100
SleepTime=0

[Permission]
AllowBadMachineId=1
AllowLowBandwidth=1
MinimumSecondsToLogin=0
PermissionMaxPoints=0
PermissionMode=0
AutoPermissionPoints=0
AutoPermissionIDList=0
AutoPermissionMessage=Congratulations

[Password]
SysopPassword=
EnergyPassword=
ModeratorPassword=
SuperModeratorPassword=
VIPPassword=
//Change all to what you want

[Billing]
LogMessages=0
IP=localhost
Password=
//What is the billing pw in the subbill.ini
ServerName=My new zone
//Zone name
Port=185
ServerId=4483
GroupId=1
ScoreId=4483
ReconnectTime=12000
AttemptTime=6400

[Advertise]
SendMode=0
DisplayMode=0
Duration=6000

[Validation]
CheckMod=0
CheckSMod=0
CheckSysop=0
LogPubCommands=*
LogPvtCommands=*
DisablePubCommands=
DisablePvtCommands=
//Help at http://www.shanky.com/server/ in FAQ section for Subgame2

[Directory]
IP=REQUIRES UPDATE! sscentral.ds98.com,sscentral.subspace.inet.fi,sscentral.subspace.net,sscentral.subspacehq.com
Description=
//What you want to have for the description of zone
NamePassword=
//Pick anything you want
Port=4991
// Do not change this port number, leave it set to 4991. This is what all directory servers use.

Basically. I'm not sure, I guess I'd rather see a more formal approach than just comment whatever seems necessary.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:09 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would do 2 things:
- Change server.ini Billing IP to localhost or 127.0.0.2.
- Move the biller to its own folder.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:04 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

- Put Catid's biller in the server.ini, maybe even SOS's or Confess's version but I don't know the specific changes or bugs introduced.
- Probably not possible but worth the try: Increase the upload/download speed of any files from the server. Just a thing that ticks people off.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, either way...can you PWEASE get Priitk to fix the Windows 2003 Bug? =/

Heres how it works, on certain servers subgame will not work on Windows 2003. It starts up, however when a player attempts to enter, it just stays there for a long ass time.

I've managed to fix this bug by using a different version of the subgame and its necessary files. Infact, you might want to include these files in the new version so that anyone with Win2k3 can host it. Granted, the bug doesnt happen on every server. It seems to happen only on a few builds of Win2k3.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Confess wrote:
Well, either way...can you PWEASE get Priitk to fix the Windows 2003 Bug?

Unless you have any more information on this, that would be a no. The time Priit is allocating to this is only that which he can fix very quickly. If you can attach a debugger and get a dump of what is going on while it is locking up, maybe log the packets, or at least anything more than "it hangs" it might get looked into. But as of right now, since it only effects Win2k3, it is going to be glossed over.

Sorry. I tried on my Win2k3 machine here, and it worked fine.
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:59 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Um, whats the best way to talk to you? Do you have aim or something? Or perhaps you can login to continuum? tongue.gif
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It could be a win2k3 problem, since aren't there mumblings asss also has problems on some win2k3 servers?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Confess wrote:
Um, whats the best way to talk to you? Do you have aim or something? Or perhaps you can login to continuum? :P

If it is sometime private, go ahead and just use private messages in here or email to get my attention. If it is about Win2k3, I won't be able to help with that, sorry.

Smong wrote:
It could be a win2k3 problem, since aren't there mumblings asss also has problems on some win2k3 servers?

Possibly. It does come configured with a lot more secure settings, and the cheaper versions of it come preconfigured with lower networking settings, such as even limiting the number of concurrent outstanding connections.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:27 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hm, can you put AS3 in server.zip?

Oh yeah, and can you change all those .confs or .inis(depending on the server) into .dlls?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:43 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Somehow I think renaming the settings files to .dll extension will make things worse. Imagine noobs re-associating the .dll file extension to notepad, they might end up inserting random characters into important system files.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:46 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You should have two different versions. One for nuubs, and another with just the barebones.

- Include the SSME.
- Include a guide to servers.
- Include the LVZ Kit
- Include a guide to port forwarding.
- Include a link to the Zone Hosting forum, with rules and howtos to getting a host.
- Include the most recent Mervbot Build along with some basic DLL's.
- Guide to making it work on Nix

Have them be in a seperate folder(s).

Perhaps you should also have some kind of script or something that by default, when clicked, starts up both the biller and the zone. Also, correct me wrong, but didnt someone create a script specificly for zones that would restart them if crashed?
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SSME? pft tongue.gif
Cancer+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BDwinsAlt wrote:
So basically you wouldn't know how to host your zones.

Grow up, Idiot.

I agree with Solo. It is kind of noob friendly, but MORE noob friendly would work. Like HOW to port forward and things like that. Also, what Confess said is good.

If you are making a new server zip, you need to make it noob friendly in order for new people to hosting to understand it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:11 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, don't include a whole bunch of 3rd party products. Simply switching out subbill for SSBilling2 is all that server.zip needs. (Though a guide to port forwarding is a good idea, actually.)
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:05 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
[..]
Possibly move files into folders, so you have a Zone folder, a Billing folder,

by far the best idea anyone has had so far.
Sketter
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

please add line in server.ini

[misc]
localchat=
This works as the same as "staffchat=" but not limited to staff only.

The above seems to be missing from every one's server.ini. So let it be known.

Add DCME and CLT (i have no idea where to find that or ever used it)

adding catid's biller would be a better option IMO.

Having what each setting says under it is fine.

To those that say its not newbie friendly......i was 15 when i ran my own test zone in 10 mins. Nothing in the set up sequence has changed.
When you speak of port forwarding, are you talking about port forwarding in routers?
If so there are so many different type of routers. To come up with such a guide would be....impractical.
Perhaps a basic "what you should be looking for when port forwarding in routers" would be better.

If you can't read very basic instructions, and get a zone running, you don't need a new guide, or easier instructions that are already simplified, you need to learn how to read and fallow instructions. (perhaps it is safer that you do not run a zone, if you can not do step 1-5 alone)

If you can explain more things in server.ini such as the permission section, that would be nice. And Advertise...is that even used anymore? and how does that work?

Sketter
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
- Put Catid's Biller in the server.zip (Or any others). *Disagreed*
- Fix Certain errors with Windows 2003 not working. *Agreed*
- Release the new "Update.exe". (He didnt for .39 pr1 =/) *Agreed*
- Proper directories in the server.ini *?????*
- Allow for split servers, to host servers at different locations for best ping. *Agreed*
- Disable Shutdown *Add Option for Disabling*
- Allow for server content to be downloaded via web instead of from the server. *Agreed*
- Create *add(sysop/smod/mod)/*remove(sysop/smod/mod) command. *Agreed*

Quote:
Maybe a cleaner server.ini instead of the one I edited almost 10 years ago with comments all over the place.
I would agree with the server.ini to be copied and it's copy be renamed to server-example.ini or something. The server.ini should have all its // comments removed, while the copy retains them. Or just no copy but included in some sort of readme.

Quote:
I would keep that server.ini in there. It has comments in there, but it is very noob friendly. If you take the comments out, they won't know wtf anything is.
Fine with this either way. Perhaps a rewritten and revised version of the setup guide should be included. (Maybe not revised or rewritten.)

Quote:
Possibly move files into folders, so you have a Zone folder, a Billing folder, maybe Tools that contain LVL and LVZ programs.
My Server Kit isn't exactly like it, but more-so Subgame styled. I would more than gladly replace Subgame with AS3 if AS3 were exactly the same as Subgame but with *.mod support though. The Server Kit is already preconfigured to where it can be hosted on the spot without having to edit or open any file (except an *.exe or so).

Quote:
Hm, can you put AS3 in server.zip?
I personally don't care as long as all the developer files (ie. source codes, uncompiled "crap", etc) are not included and is obviously separated from Subgame. Maybe nobody should merge it with Server.zip, but instead have a server-asss.zip, server-asss-dev.zip, and simply server.zip. Keep VIE as VIE unless you've got something that is pretty much or nearly / exactly the same as VIE but with more features and abilities (see my last quote reply).

Quote:
Oh yeah, and can you change all those .confs or .inis(depending on the server) into .dlls?
Rename *.conf to *.ini, period. Perhaps zip all the *.ini's into a settings.dat, config.dat, configurations.dat file (using the ZIP or 7Z format). Might confuse newbies at first (such as, how do I open these files?), but otherwise should be fine as soon as they figure out how to edit the *.ini files inside of it.

Quote:
- Include the SSME.
- Include a guide to servers.
- Include the LVZ Kit
- Include a guide to port forwarding.
- Include a link to the Zone Hosting forum, with rules and howtos to getting a host.
- Include the most recent Mervbot Build along with some basic DLL's.
- Guide to making it work on Nix
If anyone should do this, it should be a totally seperate "version" of the zip. Perhaps a "Complete Server Kit" or something. (Ultimate Server Utilities?)

Quote:
To those that say its not newbie friendly......i was 15 when i ran my own test zone in 10 mins. Nothing in the set up sequence has changed.
Excellent. Now let's see a test result of a 15 year old for the first time in his life trying to setup a Subspace server, using AS3 (in otherwords they have strictly never hosted anything, such as bots, zones, billers, etc). -_-

*sigh* AS3 is still a piece of crap for newbies.
1) No source code or developer material should be even included in a "asss.zip" or "server-asss.zip"
2) It should look and be exactly like Subgame (including commands, server messages, functionatics, etc; basically as pure of a clone it can be to Subgame) with *.mod support. Developers make their modules and compile them. Then after preparing some identity *.ini file, they ZIP, RAR, GZIP, 7Z up the whole thing and rename it to ******.mod. Noobie just adds ******.mod to some line in server.ini (for Subgame-replica / AS3-->Subgame-replica). Server opens *.mod and reads some *.ini file to identify it and get an idea of "where to start" or whatever, and so it functions.

Quote:
If so there are so many different type of routers. To come up with such a guide would be....impractical.
Kind of, but most routors tend to follow a similar route to port forward.

Goto 192.168.2.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, etc.
Login as Administrator.
Goto Port Forwarding, Forwarding, Ports, etc.
Provide us a picture of that page or try to add the ports 27015-27016 as UDP.

Maybe a big fat note should be placed next to the download link to the server kit(s) that newbies should ask for help on these forums if they run into problems, questions, etc. I hope they aren't afraid of the people who live on these forums. O_o

Quote:
you need to learn how to read and fallow instructions.
Couldn't agree more. I tried to learn Subgame at too young of age and had lots of problems understanding anything -- even help through the forums. I think someone contacted me through AIM or ICQ and helped me out personally through a step by step process or I just tried to host again later that year or so (which then I obviously figured out if I didn't before).

Quote:
And Advertise...is that even used anymore? and how does that work?
Yes it does work and some still use it, although LVZ can easily replace it. Jackpot SVS uses it. See the FAQs on mingegoboom.com for server.ini.

My few cents, even though most of my opinions and such don't matter to anyone (especially programmers who know more than noobies and how they think and see things -_-). I don't mean to be rude, harsh, or annoying...not even personally. Just trying to communicate thoughts and feelings to words.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
- Proper directories in the server.ini *?????*

The directory servers

Quote:
- Disable Shutdown *Add Option for Disabling*
That can already be done with the DisablePubCommands or something like that...?

and the biller files DEFINITLY need to be in a separate folder than the server.... my server folder is such a mess... there are all billing files... all server files... then all the bunch of maps and lvz, all the cfg's... bleh
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:18 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, this thread's more off-topic than I could ever imagine.

Subgame should use uPNP if we're going that way. Goddamnit, I'm glad nobody of you people's going to perform brain surgery.
"OMG LET'S CUT THIS TISSUE AND PUT IT THERE!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 745 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.788585 seconds : 51 queries executed (76.5%): GZIP compression disabled