Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Client Troubles...

View previous topic  Science Fair - Liquid Nitrogen Project Post :: Post Scarface  View next topic  
Anon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Client Troubles... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello friends,

I am trying to install Continuum, but whenever I install it and try to run it, it always spawns about 5 of itself in the process list and never actually starts. My computer is then left hanging and the only way I can end the process is to delete the file manually.

I've tried Continuum 0.38 and 0.39pr1. Same results for both.

I've scanned the files with my virus scanner, nothing out of the ordinary...

Any tips on how to solve this?
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:35 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try the new 0.39 release; it's supposed to fix that problem. However, since the site it was linked on is down, I don't have it readily available for you. Hopefully one of the others will be able to.
Anon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats out? I thought it was the Subspace equivalent of Duke Nukem Forever.
Anon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:42 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Well Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I found it and tried it, same problem as before. I truly can't see a reason why this would happen. I'm going to look into the problem more, it has to be something with my laptop.
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Make sure that a firewall hasn't blocked Continuum, and make sure that Continuum was installed under a user with administrative rights.

0.39 is available for download here, it should resolve your issue.

1 Question though: After your application hangs, do you ever get an error message sometime later?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Sonic VI
Font color

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:11 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Make an alias Reply to topic Reply with quote

Make an alias Download contiuum http://ssdownloads.com/index.php?act=file&fid=1325
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sonic VI, that was pretty useless. I've already tried every seperate Continuum installer.

Hakaku:
AFAIK, I dont have a Firewall up blocking it.
I have administrative rights, its the only account on this computer.
I've tried version 0.39 (not the beta, the full one recently released)
And no, I never get an errror message.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jsyk, there's a pre1 0.39 and a 0.39
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:04 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tcsoccerman wrote:
jsyk, there's a pre1 0.39 and a 0.39

To be more precise, the following clients are available

- Continuum 0.38 - you said you tryed it
- Continuum 0.39pr1 - you said you tryed it
- Continuum 0.39 beta - As Hakaku already posted. Have you tryed this client? It's built to solve most of the common bugs.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Anon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:18 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: asdf Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I already tried to 0.39 beta (NOT the prelease, the BETA, that just came out like a couple days/weeks ago). Tried it again after remembering to turn my Windows Firewall on, no luck. I even added it to the exception list, just in case.... still no luck.

I can't see why it won't work, seeing as how I can play much more "advanced" games, in terms of graphics, power required, etc.

And heres some info in case anyone cares:

-Windows XP Professional
-HP Pavilion ZD7000
-No firewalls...
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try this without doing anything else in between:

1. Run an antivirus and make sure your computer isn't infected.
2. Run a registry cleaner
3. Disable all firewalls if any.
4. Reboot. Install Continuum 0.39 in C:\Program Files
5. Try playing Continuum.

Questions:
1. What DirectX version are you running?
2. When you say it opens up multiple instances of Continuum in the Task Manager, is it really multiple instances, or is Continuum jumping all over the task manager? Can you disable it using end+task? If so, do you get any error messages afterwards?
3. Can you run Continuum by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Run as..." ?

Edit: Supposedly 0.40 is out, so you can try that too here.
Anon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:05 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Before I do that, what registry cleaner would you recommend, as its something I've never done before.

Answers to your questions:

1. What DirectX version are you running?
2. When you say it opens up multiple instances of Continuum in the Task Manager, is it really multiple instances, or is Continuum jumping all over the task manager? Can you disable it using end+task? If so, do you get any error messages afterwards?
3. Can you run Continuum by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Run as..." ?

1. 9.0c, I believe it was an April 2007 release. (4.09.0000.0904 is what dxdiag says)

2. It jumps around. I guess it may be going kind of fast so it looks like more than one. I slowed it down and it is indeed only one copy. I cannot disable it through any means, as when I try I get some invalid operation error.

3. Tried it the first time I got the problem, it didn't work, but I'll try it again soon.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: Supposedly 0.40 is out, so you can try that too here.

Anon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:26 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Yea Reply to topic Reply with quote

yes, I tried that this morning... same results.
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, this is a long shot, but maybe you have this...

PoliX wrote:
Windows XP Data Execution Protection
Open up DEP and see if you have 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only', if so, check 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select'. Next add Continuum.exe to the list, and apply. Than you can go back to 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' if you'd like, and it will load fine.

Basically go into your control panel. Right click on "My Computer" and select properties. Then select these tabs: Advanced ->Performance Settings button -> Data Execution Prevention Tab
And do what the above quote says, or alternatively disable DEP entirely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 648 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.672314 seconds : 41 queries executed (81.8%): GZIP compression disabled