Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
New Server
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic  Cool signature text's Post :: Post Solo's crazy ex-girlfriend blog  View next topic  
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:04 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just like saving space. If I had to choose between two files, I would choose the one that is 10 kb less. icon_biggrin.gif

I'll try this again:

Name: BDwinsAlt (Brad)
Description: Biller + 2 ASSS zones
Distro of Choice: Ubuntu
Disk Space: 1GB Tops
Memory: 192 MB.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:11 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well MGB it's great you have a new server, I haven't got any errors on the forums yet. Thanks for investing in SS.

Considering the ping is 2x compared to pretty much every other zone, why are people trying to put zones on this? Looking at my zone list only SSCT has a comparable ping (which I hope is only temporary seeing as it is an SSC zone). Sure I played with over 300ms back when 56k was popular, but I'm seeing people lagging all over the place with just 150ms these days.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong wrote:
Considering the ping is 2x compared to pretty much every other zone, why are people trying to put zones on this?

Because not everyone has to cross an ocean and then the whole of the US? Las Vegas, NV has good pings for the West Coast people, a group that I never cared about until I moved to the west coast.

Can't really do anything when MCI has lines that take a while (72 ms from NV -> DC, 76 ms from USA -> UK). To my parents in PA, I'm getting sub 100ms pings.
Code: Show/Hide
1:  unmapped.marquisnet.com (208.67.185.188)               0.078ms pmtu 1500
1:  unmapped.marquisnet.com (208.67.185.185)               0.624ms
2:  ge-00-csr1-0201.bcr2.lv1.marquisnet.com (71.4.56.6)    0.449ms
3:  GigabitEthernet4-3.GW2.VEG2.ALTER.NET (157.130.229.137)   0.978ms
4:  130.at-6-0-0.XR1.LAX9.ALTER.NET (152.63.115.42)      asymm  5   9.174ms
5:  0.so-3-0-1.XT1.LAX9.ALTER.NET (152.63.115.158)       asymm  6   9.071ms
6:  0.so-7-0-0.IL1.DCA6.ALTER.NET (152.63.9.193)         asymm  7  81.331ms
7:  0.so-1-0-0.IR1.DCA4.ALTER.NET (146.188.13.38)        asymm  8  81.217ms
8:  so-6-1-0.TR1.LND2.ALTER.NET (146.188.4.81)           asymm  9 157.854ms
9:  so-5-0-0.XR2.LND2.ALTER.NET (146.188.7.229)          asymm 10 156.208ms
10:  pos0-0-0.gw3.lnd2.alter.net (158.43.233.109)         156.241ms
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, make a donation for cancer research. icon_smile.gif

Well I might be using 10G MGB, I just thought "heh, I don't know if I should use it for hosting pictures".
Shit, my eyes didn't even see that line I guess. Sorry. icon_confused.gif

Well, I have a freebsd box running in Amsterdam at a friend's house at 64M and 2GB just for a silly shell. Haha, pretty nifty. icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SST/SSCT is based in LA in the Krypt.com datacenter for the current moment. tongue.gif Pings would be about the same.
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:13 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ah HAH! I knew Smong was a brit!
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
BDwinsAlt (On Moms Comp)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:21 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ace wrote:
Yeah, make a donation for cancer research. icon_smile.gif

They already found a cure for some types of cancer. They put it in a pill form, but they couldn't make money off of it somehow. Chemotherapy makes doctors a lot of money. Go figure. Gotta love politics.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BDwinsAlt (On Moms Comp) wrote:
[..]

They already found a cure for some types of cancer. They put it in a pill form, but they couldn't make money off of it somehow. Chemotherapy makes doctors a lot of money. Go figure. Gotta love politics.

You know, I've noticed that you seem to fall for a LOT of the common rumors. This one is also a rumor, btw. Don't believe everything you hear.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So global warming is true? icon_biggrin.gif
j/k
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BDwinsAlt (On Moms Comp) wrote:
[..]

When I need your "Hi! Look! I'm BDwinsAlt. I pretend to be smart by making stupid comments!" comments, I'll tell you. Hmm'kay?

Muskrat wrote:
ah HAH! I knew Smong was a brit!

icon_smile.gif He's from Poland actually, just using a British VPN server as proxy for his connection. sa_tongue.gif
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:31 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just spreading the things I hear, solo. icon_cool.gif
Confess
Zone Hoster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:06 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You youtube for that crap BD? Wth? lol
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:56 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BDwinsAlt wrote:
Just spreading the things I hear, solo. icon_cool.gif

whatwhatrolled =\
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm wasting a good bit of time trying to get this damn hvmloader working. So now I'm going with screw it, I'll manually forward ports instead.

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get my second internal bridge all setup nicely, and being with the process of creating some blank images for you guys. After that, I'll go about setting up a squid proxy running in reverse, which in other words means that it can look at the domain that is being loaded, request the correct VM, and then forward that out. This will allow more than a couple of people running things on port 80 to work together. But then again, this is another system that I'd either need to make scripts for you guys to access changes, or I'd have to do it by hand.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:34 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woo, thanks for this https login. It isn't blocked by the filter at work. Last year I had a login to a different network, so I didn't have to worry about it. They have a relly strict filter too, I'm surprised something this simple works. It doesn't work on a block list, they just have an Excel document set up with the list of domains they allow( http://webfiles.vzwcorp.com/departments/it/infosec/internet/sites.xls ). They DO allow all .edu sites, so I was hoping to find a proxy with .edu, but it looks like I won't need it. I wonder if all sites with https work? I'll check that now....
Solo Ace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:09 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Blaaaa, crap, I ran out of space on my current webhost. icon_sad.gif
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ace wrote:
Blaaaa, crap, I ran out of space on my current webhost. :(
Ahh.. to have my own server. I have plenty of unallocated space (using LVM for VMs' disks):
Code: Show/Hide
calypso ~ # lvs
  LV           VG     Attr   LSize   Origin Snap%  Move Log Copy%
  hyperion     vgraid -wi-ao  10.00G                             
  hyperionswap vgraid -wi-ao   1.00G                             
  images       vgraid -wi-ao  30.00G                             
  janus        vgraid -wi-a-  10.00G                             
  janusswap    vgraid -wi-a-   1.00G                             
  root         vgraid -wi-ao  10.00G                             
  rootswap     vgraid -wi-ao   1.00G                             
  telesto      vgraid -wi-a-   2.00G                             
  telestoswap  vgraid -wi-a-   1.00G                             
  titan        vgraid -wi-ao 200.00G                             
  titanswap    vgraid -wi-ao   1.00G                             
calypso ~ # pvs
  PV         VG     Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree 
  /dev/md2   vgraid lvm2 a-   558.71G 291.71G
Still working with setting up how I want to do the private LAN running behind Telesto (right now, Gentoo using iptables). Work / looking for a house are taking up my time right now.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:09 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You know, I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about with VMs and Xen, it sounds really fun.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:41 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ever play with VMware Player or Virtual PC? Those are front-ends for running virtual machines on your machine. They are nice for testing and running applications on different OS than your primary, but are not that strong for running multiple VM at once.

VMware Server, which is free, can let you run OSes always in the background, and attach and detach from the system's console anytime you want, just like using Remote Desktop or VNC. A nice feature of VMware Server is to have it start up upon booting, so you can run Windows 2003 Server and have a real domain up and running when you log into the physical machine.

Xen works upon the idea of instead of virtualizing everything, all of the Linux kernel is open. If you work with the kernel, you can have the VM itself handle itself. This gives you a nice speed boost, since you don't need to capture tons of system calls to hardware. Xen does let you virtualize everything, but only if your processor supports it in hardware. Sadly, to get this to work with my current machine requires Qemu, which can only be compiled with GCC3. Setting up GCC3 sucks, though I could compile from a different machine and just copy the package over.

So for now, I am only doing the Xen kernel virtual machine method. To get the private network running, I'm just setting up a Gentoo machine with iptables and two fake network cards. One attaches to the real one (to get 3 real IPs) and the other attaches to a internal bridge, which other VMs attach to to get a private IP.

Roughly, I'm building a complete network (router, switches, and multiple machines) inside one physical box. Others around me who have seen my sketches of the internal networking call me crazy, especially when I get into the details of running LVM over RAID5 for my root partition and having to add an extra bootstrap step into the normal booting process of the system (since to boot the LVM+RAID5 requires data on the LVM+RAID5 itself).
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:12 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had no idea it was that complex. I call you crazy, too. sa_tongue.gif

You've done everything right so far. I can see you accomplishing all this and owning the guys (including myself) who called you crazy.

Off-topic: I just got a job at McDonalds XD.
It's my first job and it will get me to Germany.
They pay more there than they do at a lot of popular places where everyone else thinks is cool. WillyT's is a fastfood place but people make less there but it's cool to work there. Winn-Dixie (grocery store) pays less.

I'll be flipping hamburger, but I'll be making enough money to go to Germany. icon_biggrin.gif

All that praying finally paid off. Now I have to try to communicate with the people working there. I get to learn a second language.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:26 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got my job, too. It's an internship at Verizon Wireless, in the Network department, which isn't what it sounds like... Network as in the network of cell sites, not computer networking. It pays awesome, 16.40$ an hour, but it takes up all my time. =\ But why Germany? You should go to Dutchland(I forget where those Dutch live) and visit Solo. Besides, Dutch is a much better language than German. Easier, too, as long as you don't get into dialects. Unfortunately, all I can do in Dutch is tell people that they are sitting on various objects. =\
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate wrote:
You should go to Dutchland(I forget where those Dutch live) and visit Solo.

Ummmm on Solo's post above it pretty clearly lists "The Netherlands".

And I'm jealous of how much you're making. icon_sad.gif I got a job at a Digital Imaging Company which is nice, but only $10/hr.

Oh, and I heard from my sister (who worked there) that nobody at McDonalds "flips burgers" anymore, it's just automatically cooked on both sides or something. Can't use that expression now. icon_razz.gif
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
blue monday
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:13 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you seen your walls? Jesus, put a picture up.... or get a woman.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
And I'm jealous of how much you're making. :-(

Oh, and I heard from my sister

Oh, looks like I'm jealous of you, too. I'll tell you what - I'll trade you my pay for your sister.
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I said NL then my parents would think I wanted to just get high all the time. I like the German people better (No offense to solo). When I move to Germany (I hope) I will travel to NL and visit solo. By then I will have grown up so I won't be an annoying brat.

Solo can you teach me a few useful Dutch phrases?

Example: I lost my passport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 960 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.677351 seconds : 50 queries executed (76.0%): GZIP compression disabled