Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Windows media player edits your music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Solo's crazy ex-girlfriend blog Post :: Post my buddy info  View next topic  
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:01 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Windows media player edits your music Reply to topic Reply with quote

For some reason I was using windows media player recently (probably was testing to see if my DVDs still stuttered). Anyway now all my music has been modified by WMP. All my stuff is from ytmnd.com, as a result all the md5's changed and now it's hard to find the sites they came from icon_sad.gif

A quick look shows it adds the "Other" genre to mp3's without a genre specified. But it also modifies mp3's that already have a genre set.

Well anyway this is just a warning that WMP edits your files without asking you. As a precaution I've set all my stuff to read-only now, just incase I accidentally open WMP again.
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you tried using a different oper I mean media player.
Windows......Media Player sucks. It puts too much Album Art spam in your folder.

Hope you can repair the damage. Nice job on C&C. Nice call on ditching WMP. Maybe it won't change the permissions to the files on its own. That would be crazy.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
baseball43v3r
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:54 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kinda off topic but is there any way to make a certain media player play automatically with downloaded files? like everytime i download a movie or short clip it opens windows media player automatically and only by clicking on the file does media player classic open. i want media player classic to be the one to pop open automatically and i'm not sure how to set that. any help would be appreciated. (i'm using firefox)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could try going to options -> file types, then unchecking all the associations.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
baseball43v3r
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:49 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

done that hasn't worked. done it for both. its gotta do with the firefox setts but i'm not sure which ones
The Apache
BECAUSE I'M A STUPID IDIOT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:25 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

shut up BD. "windows....... media player sucks"

i bet you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
i rather like using windows media player because it having a nice clean interface, much easier to access music and videos, and easy to play DVDs too. nice default skin and quick searching for music.

i guess i can't comment on smong because i've never had that problem (or i never noticed it lol), but i can recommend you use foobar2000, it's a very light program and very fast scanning of files - and it won't edit your music either. free too, no adware ect. http://www.foobar2000.org

but i just felt the need to shut BD up.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:38 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tools -> Options...

Media Library

There are a bunch of options to automatically organize/name your files...
baseball43v3r
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

not a single file type is associated with WMP and it still doesn't matter. if i open music or movies on my computer it either opens on winamp or MPC which is fine. but if i open movies or music on the web through firefox it opens in WMP and i'm not sure how to change that
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:40 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Apache wrote:
shut up BD. "windows....... media player sucks"

i bet you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
i rather like using windows media player because it having a nice clean interface, much easier to access music and videos, and easy to play DVDs too. nice default skin and quick searching for music.

i guess i can't comment on smong because i've never had that problem (or i never noticed it lol), but i can recommend you use foobar2000, it's a very light program and very fast scanning of files - and it won't edit your music either. free too, no adware ect. http://www.foobar2000.org

but i just felt the need to shut BD up.

icon_cry.gif Tough love I guess. I know you're doing it out of love. I'll stop.

Haha now that I think about it, I used to use Windows Media player. MusicMatch was the one that sucked. I just wanted to hate on Windows and disguise it as Windows Media Player. Notice the long pause (...........).

I guess there is no reason to hate windows except to try to look cool and fail. How am I doing?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:10 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

apache wrote:

Are you sure you're not talking Winamp or Zinf or something? I ask since WMP is about the opposite of what you just described.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Samapico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Media Player is very efficient when it comes to managing a large music library... and I did try winamp a few times... but it didn't do any of the features I liked about WMP
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like winamp. I use a winamp skin for XMMS. I like the blue theme. I personally like how winamp manages playlists. You can easily play files and folders (same with WMP). There are a lot of plugins for Winamp too. If you want winamp to do something different you can always find or make a plugin. Not sure about WMP. It's good for internet radio too. If you use WMP you have to stream directly from the sound card. I'm sure no one wants to hear your IMs.

WMP is a lot more light weight than that MusicMatch Jutebox. I hate that thing. Takes forever to load and hogs memory. Most of the dell installed software created conflicts with Windows (when I got it) so I uninstalled it. Their wifi manager along with Symantec (EWWW) made the internet not work. Once it was uninstalled it worked.

Works fine on Ubuntu as well. Using less memory and it runs faster (even without swap space which I could now add since I deleted my restore partition). No need since I'm using less than half my memory almost all the time anyway. Which leads me to my question...

QUESTION: Why does Windows Update cause svchost.exe to take up 99% CPU for 5-10 minutes on Windows XP and 2000? My sister always goes from 180 FPS to about 5 FPS once it starts and she can't do anything on her pc. Wouldn't they want to update that one day? It's happend on all my XP machines and both my 2000 machines. I looked it up. Even if I do a spyware scan and remove any spyware (no viruses either) then it still does it. Only explaination is Windows Update because that's the ONLY time it happens.
Samapico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember my dad installing musicmatch jukebox... that thing sucked badly... Only thing I used it for was to convert wma->mp3 back in the day

and emm... disable automatic updates then tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yo, Smong, that only happens if you have a certain option(or options) set. I remember thinking it would be a good idea to have it fill in stuff for me once, and it ended up putting everything in the wrong place. :x Well, that's not entirely true, it actually fixed a lot of things I was clueless about, but it totally destroyed others. I have so much music now that I don't worry about tags anymore. But, with WMP, I can quickly find and play any song I want, or put it on random through my whole playlist, without wasting too many resources(iTunes). No other media player/manager is even an option for me excepting WinAmp, which I haven't used since WinAmp 3 because it sucked so much ass. I've heard it got better, but I really don't care. WMP works flawlessly for me. WMP mixed with MPC is perfect for me, because even though I'm big on saving resources, there's no way to do that and still run a playlist of 15 million songs. Of course, when I just want to play a single song/video, I use MPC because it's so light.

Last edited by Animate Dreams on Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:35 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did go through the options and I didn't see anything about it automatically scanning the My Music folder for "new" music files. I have considered putting all my music into another folder, or maybe another partition (reclaim some space on the main partition), I don't have much music though so it's not really worth it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:54 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hm, I keep all my documents(music, movies, written documents) or otherwise non-executable code on my secondary drive, and install all my programs including the OS on the main drive. This makes reformatting easier. Reformatting feels like taking a shower, to me. And I haven't formatted in like a year... I'm sad.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dustpuppy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:43 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would just like to say that foobar2k is where it's at.
</derail>
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:26 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Er, I thought that was a WinAmp plugin. :x
the apache (school)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:08 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
[..]

Are you sure you're not talking Winamp or Zinf or something? I ask since WMP is about the opposite of what you just described.

nah, i'm being honest. windows media player is quite fast - and i find the interface really easy to use. i love the search function on it too.

i don't like winamp purely because i don't like the interface on it with all the buttons and functions. i like windows media player because of the things i want to do with my music... nothing special.

i only use foobar if i want to listen to just one song or something.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the apache (school) wrote:
nah, i'm being honest. windows media player is quite fast - and i find the interface really easy to use. i love the search function on it too.

i don't like winamp purely because i don't like the interface on it with all the buttons and functions. i like windows media player because of the things i want to do with my music... nothing special.

i only use foobar if i want to listen to just one song or something.

My Winamp screen presents more information in the same amount of space as WMP and I don't find it unclear at all.

(I'm listening to such a low-quality stream since I'm at work and flying under the radar a little here as they don't like internet radio.)

Winamp Screenshot

winamp.PNG - 18.25 KB
File downloaded or viewed 21 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WMP does something similar with the mini skins and when it minimizes to the task bar (it shows more info using a toast like thing when you mouse over or for a few seconds after the track changes).
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:13 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
[..]
My Winamp screen presents more information in the same amount of space as WMP and I don't find it unclear at all.

Well, it doesn't show as much information as MY WMP, I don't know wtf WMP you were using. Unless you maybe used skins? But who uses skins? WMP is a music MANAGER, if you're just looking for what's in that tiny box, you shoud definitely be using MPC.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, well I don't want to start some nerdy war here, but can I see your WMP screenshot? I have never seen WMP present information in an efficient manner since v6. Also, I do have the music library installed for Winamp but very rarely use it.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:10 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://forums.minegoboom.com/files/WMP.PNG

WMP.PNG - 169.66 KB
File downloaded or viewed 22 time(s)
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

emot-lol.gif I was going to make a serious reply but I just noticed that you are playing Spice Girls and cannot do it. icon_lol.gif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 640 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 1.036114 seconds : 53 queries executed (77.4%): GZIP compression disabled