Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
just a question about being programmers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Racism in TW .. really bad Post :: Post Halo dead?  View next topic  
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster
Popping men in the ass since Oct 2005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:38 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: just a question about being programmers Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm just wondering how much do programmers make, like an average programmer working an average job.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:23 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

google it man. there's websites out there that tell you everything you need about a job. www.careercruising.com is one.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not much at all, which is why you don't become a sole programmer.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh so most have something on a side too
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sercit
99.5% Optimistic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Some split it up. It's like Game Development, yes you can make money as a Game Programmer, but the money is in Development. Especially now with the influx of Programmers going into the GD market right now. At least, that's what I was told by a friend of mine who wanted to go into Programming for Games, and ended up taking a Job with an Aerospace company. He's making more than my Mom whose an RN, but not by much, and not as near as much as he would if he was doing other jobs on the side as well.
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what aerospace? game development company?
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

aerospace...like... going into space... or air...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=fr&q=aerospace&gbv=2

this kind of stuff

y'know

NASA? maybe you heard of them
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yea I know NASA just never heard of aerospace icon_confused.gif
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:32 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

best job in america icon_smile.gif

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/moneymag/bestjobs/frameset.1.exclude.html
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I dont think software engineers make 86 000 a year, my moms friend said something like 60 000
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's an average *starting* salary.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sercit
99.5% Optimistic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't know what firm he's with, something up in Colorado I think. Of course it helps that his Fiance`'s Dad was a high ranking Air Force Official, so I'm sure he's getting some strings pulled for him.

He had sat with the guys who do Guitar Hero, but the problem was he had shit for his portfolio. So, he's going to develop some private games on the side, build it up, while he's working with the Aerospace company, and build his portfolio. Not only in that, but with general software as well. He still wants to break into Game Development, though the money would actually be less than he's making now starting out, but it's never really been about the money for him.
Blocks
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:47 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Speaking off the cuff, the average programmer working the average job probably makes the average salary and is also bored as balls.

Awesomeness of what you get to work on, and then your salary, are probably strongly related to your level of programming badassery.
Sercit
99.5% Optimistic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:58 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah. I personally would love to be a programmer, but I can't sit still long enough to learn beyond "Hello world."

But, heed my advice if any of you are wanting to break into the Gaming Market. Right now I'm being told it is competitive as hell, and if you don't have games that you have personally made to show for it you're just going to end up leaving empty-handed. That's what my former friend found out. =/

Before some of you cry fail on that, remember the latest gaming cinderella story with the Portal Team. They pretty much had to have a working game in order to even get noticed. Concepts aren't cutting it anymore. You are really going to need a portfolio like any artist.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:10 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

he's kind of struggling to make bots at the moment though... that or ss hacks, perhaps
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The IT job market, at least in America, is flooded with largely incompetent people who took a couple classes at some technical school or got a couple certifications from those places advertised on the radio. Don't be one of these people and you might make some decent money.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Samapico wrote:
he's kind of struggling to make bots at the moment though... that or ss hacks, perhaps

tongue.gif I'm not even thinking yet of being a programmer, I'm 15 so got a while to decide I was just wondering how much programmers make

for now i just do that for fun
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:37 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hellzlaker wrote:
I was just wondering how much programmers make

Money isn't what really matters, because you can be making a shitload, but hate your work. Find something you enjoy doing, and get paid doing it. Don't get paid to do stuff you hate. I meet people all the time in other fields that used to be with computers, but are no longer because they hated what they did.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:22 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A good side job for an average job would be bartending. Once you turn 18 make sure to get into the business. sa_tongue.gif
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

purge in US you gotta be 21 tongue.gif
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

18 to serve drinks 21 to drink. I'm a bartender in the US (NYC).
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:52 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeh purge is right
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

we'll i don't think in new jersey, it said you must be 21 to handle alcoholic beverages
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.zizzoo.com/guides/bartending/legalage/index.php

18 for most states
Sercit
99.5% Optimistic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:04 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If there is anything a Coder knows by heart it's the following two things: Legal Age to drink in every state, and legal age of consent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 627 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.716589 seconds : 51 queries executed (80.5%): GZIP compression disabled