Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
java VS c++
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  My joke of a C++ class Post :: Post [PHP] User Authentication Methods  View next topic  
hellzlaker
Registered Cap Buster
Popping men in the ass since Oct 2005

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: java VS c++ Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can any one tell me the main differences and advanteges if there are any?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fucking google it
http://www.google.nl/search?q=java+vs+c%2B%2B
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah yes we haven't had anyone ask this question this month... quota met. Next.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

c++ is compiled while java is interpretted.
unknown1988

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to let you know, that is a terrible question to ask. I would suggest learning something on each topic before asking a broad question such as that.
SamHughes
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just to let you know, that is a terrible answer to provide. I would suggest reading some of the thread before writing a redundant reply such as that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Neither they both suck

Use a real programming language like Pascal.
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FORTRAN and COBOL are soo much coolerz than Pascal. sa_tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tansey
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
c++ is compiled while java is interpretted.

That's not true. Java is compiled to Byte code which is then compiled to binary form on the fly during runtime by the Just-In-Time compiler in the JVM.

As for the original poster, if you really are asking that broad of a statement, I would suggest learning Java first as it's a more simplistic language to start with.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
compiled to a binary form on the fly

Wow, that sounds a lot like interpretation to me.

I guess you can argue that JIT compiling is not interpretation, but I'll still never regard Java as a compiled language.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't agree that Java is a more simplistic language. I think the two are too different. C is more simplistic than C++. Python is more simplistic than any of them. Simplistic shouldn't be a factor when learning programming, however, usefulness to the learner probably should be.

For example, if you want to learn how to write modules for AS3, Java is a bad place to start.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BDwinsAlt
Agurus's Posse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Would a python biller ever work out. That would be hot. I don't see why it matters if Java compiles are not. It all works. The outcome is more important to me than the detailed technical terms. As long as it works does it matter if it's compiled or not?

Maybe someone wants to write java applets for ASSS modules. icon_biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
Quote:

I guess you can argue that JIT compiling is not interpretation, but I'll still never regard Java as a compiled language.

As it happens, x86 assembly is interpreted. It's a "virtual" CISC machine on top of a RISC core. That doesn't make assembly an interpreted language, though.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BDwinsAlt wrote:
Would a python biller ever work out. That would be hot.

It would be quite possible to code a python biller.

You can make a biller with any programming language that is capable of manipulating bytes of data and sending and receiving udp/tcp(depending on biller tongue.gif) packets (or is able to call other libaries to perform these functions)

One thing i think everyone will agree on is the task of coding a biller will be substancially more difficuly in ASM than it is in C or Java
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, Brain, there is still the major difference between hardware and software. Anyway, I am not saying that Java is inferior because it's not compiled (although I may believe that icon_razz.gif).
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rember someone could create a physical java machine (and they do exist)
http://www.a-e-d.com/

http://www.particle.kth.se/~lindsey/JavaCourse/Book/Part3/Chapter24/chips.html

and execute java byte code on it. Thus it would be completly "compiled", before it is executed.

The Java VM you see on windows is essentially an emulator. It emulates a java machine. You may have heard of VMware or Xen, which are a x86/x64 emulator for x86/x64 systems.
tansey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
Quote:

No, that is not what an interpretted language is. Java's JVM actually converts the class files to binary representations upon first instantiation (or earlier if static analysis shows it will always need to be loaded). So after you use something once, its binary form is still in memory. Compare this to Perl, where instructions are never compiled to any intermediate form and there is no JIT.

And as Doc correctly pointed out, you certainly can make a physical Java machine.

As for the AD's comment that Java is not a more simplistic language, what does Java provide from a language perspective that C++ does not? C++ has multiple inheritance, templates (generics are not the same-- templates are turing-complete), and pointer semantics to name a few. Not to mention that in order to parse C++ you need an infinite look-ahead but parsing Java is very easy from a grammar standpoint.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
Well, Brain, there is still the major difference between hardware and software. Anyway, I am not saying that Java is inferior because it's not compiled (although I may believe that icon_razz.gif).

I don't see any difference.

Java may be linked on the fly, but it *IS* compiled beforehand.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tansey wrote:

As for the AD's comment that Java is not a more simplistic language, what does Java provide from a language perspective that C++ does not? C++ has multiple inheritance, templates (generics are not the same-- templates are turing-complete), and pointer semantics to name a few. Not to mention that in order to parse C++ you need an infinite look-ahead but parsing Java is very easy from a grammar standpoint.

Your first statement makes no sense. Offering the same things or different things than C++ has doesn't make either one a more simplistic language. Unless you just mean simplistic as in, Java doesn't go into classes as deeply as C++ does, in which case you should recommend C instead, since it doesn't go into classes at all. But that would be a horrible way to decide which language to learn first anyway. Besides, you could learn how to program in C++ without learning classes, if you wanted. Well, and had a teacher that was willing to teach you that way.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tansey
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
[..]

Your first statement makes no sense. Offering the same things or different things than C++ has doesn't make either one a more simplistic language. Unless you just mean simplistic as in, Java doesn't go into classes as deeply as C++ does, in which case you should recommend C instead, since it doesn't go into classes at all. But that would be a horrible way to decide which language to learn first anyway. Besides, you could learn how to program in C++ without learning classes, if you wanted. Well, and had a teacher that was willing to teach you that way.

I think that having less features and a smaller grammar is the definition of a simpler language. C does not have a smaller grammar than Java, and Java is a stronger-typed language that doesn't require the user to deal with things like memory allocation/management. Also, if the user is trying to learn OOP, then C is out of the question.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

tansey wrote:
C does not have a smaller grammar than Java

By what standard? I'd say it's pretty clear that with OO, Java has more keywords than C.

BTW, this doesn't mean I agree with AD. He's wrong on more things than I can count.
tansey
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the number of keywords, I'm talking about the actual BNF grammar of the languages. Almost all programming languages are mapped out to a formal grammar which can be used to automatically generate a compiler for the language.
SamHughes
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The grammar isn't what makes a language simple or complicated. It's not what makes the programming language, either. Java's is as simple as C's and C++'s, except for superficial differences.

The features of a language don't decide simplicity either. Java has more "features" than, say, Haskell, but in terms of language complexity, Java is simpler. In terms of writing programs, though, Haskell is simpler. Which type of complexity are you considering?

If you ask me, the most useful measurement of a language's complexity is its type and scoping systems. On this measurement, Brainfuck < Scheme < Java < C < Haskell < Perl < C++ ? PHP, where '<' reads "is simpler than", and PHP can't be compared with the others because its type system and scoping rules are imaginary. Then, a more important measurement is how good the type system is for writing big programs.
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How could you forget QBASIC
tansey
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SamHughes wrote:
The grammar isn't what makes a language simple or complicated. It's not what makes the programming language, either. Java's is as simple as C's and C++'s, except for superficial differences.

The features of a language don't decide simplicity either. Java has more "features" than, say, Haskell, but in terms of language complexity, Java is simpler. In terms of writing programs, though, Haskell is simpler. Which type of complexity are you considering?

If you ask me, the most useful measurement of a language's complexity is its type and scoping systems. On this measurement, Brainfuck < Scheme < Java < C < Haskell < Perl < C++ ? PHP, where '<' reads "is simpler than", and PHP can't be compared with the others because its type system and scoping rules are imaginary. Then, a more important measurement is how good the type system is for writing big programs.

Ok, I agree completely with that. Great points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Non-Subspace Related Coding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 666 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.575439 seconds : 50 queries executed (92.4%): GZIP compression disabled