Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
I want to learn - Suggest reading material

View previous topic  mmmm animusic pipe dream Post :: Post I Hate You All  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: I want to learn - Suggest reading material Reply to topic Reply with quote

• Photo editing
  • Programming
    • Doygen Manual - To better document your source code, because you are a lazy bastard
    • POSIX Threads - Threading is the future, and this works on almost anything
    • SDL - Because Java GUIs suck
    • wxWidgets - Because sometimes SDL is too much
    • Win32 API Tutorial - Because you want to smash your brains with a hammer
    • Python - Because Perl is too much
    • CPAN - Because Perl is too much

• Microprocessors
    • AVR Butterfly - Its only $20 and works via serial cable with a bootloader
    • Beginners Site for AVR Butterfly - Never worked with a microprocessor before? Lots of tutorials and sample code
    • WinAVR - C is much nicer to use than ASM constantly. So why not use GCC to program your AVR?
    • AVR Studio - A free IDE and simulator for your AVR. You'll screw up somewhere, might as well debug it virtually as well.
    • Electronic Circuits - Need some suggestions for what to hookup to your microcontroller.

• Linux
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Re: I want to learn - Suggest reading material Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Elements of Style - Best book ever for any writing in the English language. Short and sweet.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
SamHughes
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:49 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
K'
You can win any war if you start a year early

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Catch-All One Stop
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome.

*doxygen
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Blocks
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:06 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SamHughes wrote:

I used this book. I think I learned something, but I don't know because it was all in SCHEME!

Introductory Physics: Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway and Jewett (this is a real book)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
asdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SamHughes wrote:

Is there anything else like this but more up2date?
SamHughes
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:46 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Um, the second edition?

It is up to date.
Blocks
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:18 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SamHughes wrote:
It is up to date.

He is referring to the fact that the book teaches how to program in an awful language that makes you dream of burning parentheses.

I think the point of the book is to make sure you actually learn how to program. If the book taught in C++, there'd be some hot-shot programmer kiddo who thinks he's all that who would be able to do the exercises in that book easily ... without learning anything. Teaching in Scheme ensures that everybody has to learn to crawl, then walk, then run. Oh the metaphorical goodness.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:44 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, really, how could you forget beej?
Quan Chi2
Member of "Sexy Teenagers that Code" Group
Member of

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Programming
    Programming tutorials - For those who would like some easy to read coding information.
    Code Project - For those who would like some easy to read coding information.

Reversing/Application hacking
    Reverse Engineering Forum - great, great, great material within this forum. Very comfortable atmosphere for anyone into reversing.
    PullThePlug - Great war games for anyone into reverse engineering. Great programming exercises.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Re: I want to learn - Suggest reading material Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:

SDL - Because Java GUIs suck

The Linux PDF is down... Here's a rehost: http://pil.pl/~mariuszj/rozne/plg-second-printing-update.pdf . But on a side note, isn't SDL supposed to be cross-platform?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:00 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Re: I want to learn - Suggest reading material Reply to topic Reply with quote

Animate Dreams wrote:
The Linux PDF is down... Here's a rehost: http://pil.pl/~mariuszj/rozne/plg-second-printing-update.pdf . But on a side note, isn't SDL supposed to be cross-platform?

Yes.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:00 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone have a good VMWare tutorial?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You need a tutorial for that?
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:30 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Um... I don't know, do I? I kinda just assumed it was complex.
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:24 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nah, it's too easy to be true. But it is true anyway.

If you can't figure out something, Google would be a better solution than simply a tutorial.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:11 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I generally like to have a step-by-step guide when going through something like that. And installing an OS inside of an OS sounds pretty major. But I've been juggling my time between MAME and Greek recently and haven't really gotten to trying this out.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1. Download VMware Server
  2. Download Ubuntu 7.10 premade image
  3. In VMware, select that image and hit Start.
You are now running Ubuntu inside of Windows, with all the needed tools already installed into the client operating system. Want steps for Windows?
  1. In VMware Server, do New Virtual Machine
  2. Select Windows from choices, pick disk size/memory you want allocated
  3. Insert a Windows installation disk into your system (close any auto-run Windows). If you have any other CD/DVD drives, leave them empty.
  4. In your new virtual machine, click start. Will auto-detect a CD/DVD drive to run. Follow normal Windows steps.
The VMware guys made it really easy to run. Give it a shot, it is free. If you run Subspace software, you can easily do VMware.
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:30 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sticky this plz
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:43 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just realized I have VMWare Player. I guess that's a completely different thing than VMWare Server.
LearJett+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:05 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Peloponnesian War -- Thucydides
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a great topic. Probably the best on the whole site. It shouldn't be so far down.

I came in here looking for an introduction to makefiles(I hope I'm not supposed to figure out how those work from just reading them), but I don't see anything. If anyone knows a good place to check out, let me know.

On a side note, the SDL tutorial linked in the OP is outdated. This( http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php ) seems to be the most popular one, which I hope means it's a good one. You might want to update the OP a bit.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:18 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This should be pinned somewhere, really
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 1250 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.939540 seconds : 49 queries executed (72.1%): GZIP compression disabled