Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ID allocation of 'holy grail' window tile

View previous topic  Leaving FMGB Post :: Post Response to Chambahs one-liner in ASSS...  View next topic  
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: ID allocation of 'holy grail' window tile Reply to topic Reply with quote

A window tile is a tile that allows weapons to pass, but not ships. One doesn't currently exist, but if it did what ID should it have and should it appear on the radar?

radar visible:
192-215
221-240

invisible on radar:
243-251
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:13 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think it should be visible on the radar. You will be able to change its graphic, right?

Then again, more map-designer-control over what the radar shows would be ideal.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was assuming the onscreen appearance would be invisible/transparent, a mapper can always use lvz over it.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
SpecShip
Complete twat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What's in particular is use in that contrary to simply dropping a single tile or using a safety/goal/move-over/under tile, so weps go through but ships don't?

"I could run a ss server on my car stereo!" -Xalimar
"Liberta tuit ma ex infernis" -Event Horizon
"I know too much about nothing." - Mine GO BOOM
"Hmm anyway, back to my kingdom hearts." - Chambahs
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Translation please.
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do you happen to have a map of all of the current tile #s and their purposes?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:51 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is what I use:
http://toktok.sscentral.com/dump/tiles.txt
But I'm sure there's a thread on every major ss forum.
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:33 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, looks like from whats available, youll have to start from 190 and go down to where the bmp portion of the tileset ends, or use the 'solid' tiles in the 243-251 range.
SpecShip
Complete twat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Translation: In general, ships are larger than a single tile, if you wish to allow ships to fire through a wall but deny them passage, you remove one tile from the wall or use a tile that doesn't deny passage (fly under/over tiles, goal tiles, safety zone tiles) - the ships can't go through since it's a single tile but they can shoot through it.
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:52 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know it's hard, but try to think beyond Subspace, Grav.

It seemed to me that Smong was getting input for a new client feature. If so I don't see why a map editor or two couldn't cooperate and allow the tile in question to have a graphic.
SpecShip
Complete twat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is no Grav anymore.
But, if Grav was here he would say: Don't make me destroy you, little inferior dummy newbie; it is you who might be experiencing difficulties in grasping concepts if there was anyone such. I've designed, and continue to, far greater scopes than your meager human child brain could even begin to comprehend.
I undnerstand perfectly well what smong suggest.
What I say, or rather inquire, be what good is it, why is it needed, why should we allocate a new tile slot for it instead of something else?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:42 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't see any harm discussing future possible tiles, there is even space for them in the existing lvl format. A window tile can add new things to the game, especially with all these infantry style zones around.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Need your window tile, and make sure powerballs can pass through it.

Then add a tile where powerballs bounce off, even with the setting that makes them pass through walls.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:27 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about decoys?
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:59 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If a player bounces off, so should a decoy.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpecShip
Complete twat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:38 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No harm indeed, but I still fail to see what justifies the effort of it in contrast to what techniques we may employ today.
How will it serve us better (other than graphically)?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With it you can have windows bigger than 1 tile, making it easier to shoot through them. You could even make a psuedo 3D ridge/cliff giving the impression of two different heights, so you can shoot between them but not climb up or fall down the cliff.
K'
You can win any war if you start a year early

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:02 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So you be seeking 1.5-esque tiling?
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:07 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Something like that, although isn't that 2.5D?
K'
You can win any war if you start a year early

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:31 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I meant 1.5 tile-units gap.

SubSpace be 2D and as such doesn't have isometric, merely an optical illusion of such (which be compounded by the fact that 2.5D be an optical illusion on and by its own).
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, since I don't think a 1.5 tile gap would be practical. With a window tile you won't have to arrange tiles like a grating/sieve anymore.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

And I don't know what you're trying to say because you aren't conjugating the copula.

Smong, I would have immediate uses for a tile like this, and it's a great option for infantry zones. It can be used as razorwire, for one... any obstacle that would prevent crossing but not shooting. An idea that comes to mind would be a WWII tank style zone, with lots of trenches to stop the infantry from crossing. Tanks could be given a rocket that goes fast enough to skip a tile so they could jump over it, if no one could find a better solution. And we could call the zone Trench Wars.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:42 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A better use is to make a city with all building's rooftops borderd by this tile. You have a entrance that warps them elsewhere on the map to the "inside" they can then go up the stairs to the roof where they are teleported back to the main part of the map.
Animate Dreams
Gotta buy them all!
(Consumer whore)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, that would be the best 2D rooftop space shooter emulation yet seen on the internets.
But seriously, this has a ton of uses... I'm not sure what Grav was on about.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 1251 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.911237 seconds : 48 queries executed (83.8%): GZIP compression disabled