Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
2D polygon version of subspace

View previous topic  Eject and Closing CD/DVD tray. (C++) Post :: Post Looking for  View next topic  
tugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: 2D polygon version of subspace Reply to topic Reply with quote

hi, i'm starting in on my first real attempts at game programming.
i figured i'd start by copying my favrite game -> subspace.

anyway, one of the things i was wanting to look at first was making it into a 2D coordinate system with polygons for both ships and walls.
i know this is ambitious, but i figure i'll be able to handle it. biggrin.gif

so really what i'm wondering here is: is this something that's already being worked on? would it be helpful to priitk or whoever is keeping the game development going if i kept them informed/gave a copy of my code to be included in a future version of SS? (assuming i figure out the legalities before i screw myself over) Or is this something that's already in development and nobody cares about me? icon_wink.gif

-tugs

(also if i'm in the wrong place for this please point me in the right direction)
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If this is honestly your first attempt at game programming I wouldn't start with subspace. Plus, the only person with access to the code for the game (Not the zone menu) is PriitK, and at the rate things are currently going it will be a cold day in hell before anyone else gets to look at it. Not trying to be mean or discourage you or anything (because it's good to be interested), but you probably should understand the reality of the situation. What I will recommend is that you look around and work in other areas of the community such as bots, or standalone helper applications like Drake has done with his new startup map editor.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

D1st0rt wrote:
If this is honestly your first attempt at game programming I wouldn't start with subspace.

Agreed. I'm not trying to be insulting or disrespectful, but you would be surprised how difficult things will become as you get deeper into the problem. If you are intent on games programming, I would try something like Breakout. This will give you some experience with graphics, sounds, and some simple physics, without the networking or multi-player issues.
tugs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks both for good, thoughtful replies.

i think what i'll do is make my own not-multiplayer version of this game. (breakout is boring as crap) that should help me focus on the parts that are interesting to me: physics modelling and graphics.

also i did have my name in for a TW bot programming thing...
they havent gotten back to me yet though, so either they're slow and unorganised or i didnt get in sa_tongue.gif

anyway, thanks again.
-tugs
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sounds good, what are you going to do for the physics, like when a polygon ship hits another polygon at a strange angle:

In the above picture it would appear the ship would first move to the left slightly, then then reverse entirely (or rotate, depending on how you look at it) when it's right wing clips the wall.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
tugs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i was hoping to put some rotation in there and put my first year physics courses to good use.

a bigger question i want to figure out, though, is: could i make this different based on different settings? that way, some zones could be totally arcade-y and some could be super-realistic.

i'll have a better answer for that once i get further in though
-tugs
SamHughes
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't forget to realize that if minor positional and rotational changes can create larger changes in bouncing angle, worry about lag.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Non-Subspace Related Coding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 659 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.502412 seconds : 32 queries executed (79.5%): GZIP compression disabled