Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Finally Continuum In Linux!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic  higgs boson Post :: Post any non ssc zones still there?  View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with the mac bashing keep it up.
SpecShip
Complete twat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LoL.

Incase I haven't said it before I'll say it now.
Macs are, or were, only good as a desktop work station for running graphical tools for graphical development.
They were basically manufactured for that reason and on the permise of being able to produce a GUI (notice the important part here is the G), with the backstab Gates pulled on Apple and the coming of Windows to the PC the Mac basically been on the sloop ever since and its only remaining virtue was a powerful graphical workstation.
With the 3Dfx cards getting bigger and better and stronger...even that isn't much really true.
And even the Apple is starting to use Intel I believe? Because they need that much more computation power to keep itself going as any sort of competition.
So...yeah.
The Mac is about as much of a fad as a console vs PC.
The only reasons console keep going is because they've had better and earlier penetration and are considered more "family" oriented than a mini-tower.
As well as games for consoles are being published on entire different paradigms and developer pay offs, while the PC game publishing is still following the same archaic principle of book publishing (you might notice books aren't doing as well anymore either) which making both parties close down like mad, mostly devs.

"I could run a ss server on my car stereo!" -Xalimar
"Liberta tuit ma ex infernis" -Event Horizon
"I know too much about nothing." - Mine GO BOOM
"Hmm anyway, back to my kingdom hearts." - Chambahs
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:36 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What did you guys change to get your fps up? I only get about 10 fps @ 1400x1024 while I get over 50 on windows. icon_sad.gif
Plareplane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:47 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try lowering your resolution. Using the nvidia driver with a 6600, the amount of crash on startups/arenachanges get progressively lower as I lower my resolution. Actually, I don't think we are talking about the same problem though. I get a blank window before crashing out. (Do you have the virtual desktop enabled in wine?)

oliver wrote:
Is there a general problem with Continuum + Wine + NVidia drivers? I seem to have the same problem as several others already reported: When running "wine Continuum.exe", it just exits after a few seconds, without showing any window or output...

When using the X.org nv driver, it works, and I can actually play Continuum, only it's quite slow (probably because the X.org driver has only little hardware accelaration)... So I wonder if there's a way to get it working with the NVidia driver? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:59 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SpecShip wrote:
LoL.

Macs are, or were, only good as a desktop work station for running graphical tools for graphical development.
They were basically manufactured for that reason and on the permise of being able to produce a GUI (notice the important part here is the G), with the backstab Gates pulled on Apple and the coming of Windows to the PC the Mac basically been on the sloop ever since and its only remaining virtue was a powerful graphical workstation.
With the 3Dfx cards getting bigger and better and stronger...even that isn't much really true.
And even the Apple is starting to use Intel I believe? Because they need that much more computation power to keep itself going as any sort of competition.
So...yeah.
The only reasons console keep going is because they've had better and earlier penetration and are considered more "family" oriented than a mini-tower.
As well as games for consoles are being published on entire different paradigms and developer pay offs, while the PC game publishing is still following the same archaic principle of book publishing (you might notice books aren't doing as well anymore either) which making both parties close down like mad, mostly devs.

I'm just passing by, but this is really stupid.
Obviously you have little idea of what you're talking about.
I'm not a fan of the macs myself, I think they're way overpriced, but what you're selling here is not true.
Microsoft windows is a plague of the PC. As soon as it is eliminated the PC can unleash it's full potential. Mac OSX is based on unix and therefore has better memory handling (As does Linux ... try running a huge java app on the same PC under windows and under linux - big differance). It is not true that a better gfx card will boost the performance of a grafics app.
Besides, as I understand it, nvidia launched a high-end graphics card for mac. You can put up to 4 interconected cards in one mac. The problem is m$ still has monopoly on the gaming industry. When Mac and Linux and any alternative OS will present a big enough market to game publishers, you will see games for those platforms.

It's time to open your eyes, the industry is playing you. It's making you buy new computers just to play "breathtaking new games" just becose they lack optimisation.

As for the consoles, they're alive becose they're all an average user needs. Games, music, movies, and nowdays the internet. They're cheaper and guarantee you that new games will work for a longer period of time.
Eh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:33 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: , Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am running the latest Ubuntu and I patched/installed Wine myself. When I try to load Continuum, I get
Code: Show/Hide
err:ddraw:DDRAW_Create Couldn't load WineD3D - OpenGL libs not present?

Any ideas?
Eh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind, got it working.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:14 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SpecShip wrote:
LoL.

So...yeah.

lol

Vista is going to be Microsoft's last operating system, wait and see.
mousey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:02 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

this comment is love overdue but it doesnt really matter because the idea will never die

PHONGY YOU ARE A BIG BIG NERD! icon_eek.gif

good day gentlemen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

edit *long overdue*
sorry my fat stubby fingers dont allow me to type properly
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:34 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Additionaly I needed to make the following modifications in 9.12, particularly the kernel path (now kernel32).

diff --git a/dlls/kernel32/process.c b/dlls/kernel32/process.c
index 33f9ee1..d50cb7d 100644
--- a/dlls/kernel32/process.c
+++ b/dlls/kernel32/process.c
@@ -2325,6 +2325,7 @@ HANDLE WINAPI OpenProcess( DWORD access,
     OBJECT_ATTRIBUTES   attr;
     CLIENT_ID           cid;

+if (access & PROCESS_VM_WRITE) return NULL;
     cid.UniqueProcess = (HANDLE)id;
     cid.UniqueThread = 0; /* FIXME ? */
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:46 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As far as FPS goes, I tested this on a nvidia 6600gt and a ati 9800pro (128) and found to have better end results with the ati card (after much playing around). On a 9800pro which is a really cheap card (70$ ebay), I was able to get about 30fps @1600 and 50fps @ 1024. Id like to try it with an x800 or newer ati card.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:43 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i dont think gfx cards have seen any vast improvements in their 2d speed since 9800 pro
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Phong, what driver are you using for the ATI card? I find for 2d graphics such as ZSNES and Continuum that the r300 mesa driver works well, but for 3d graphics (obviously) you have to go with the fglrx driver. However, i haven't tried those progs. with this month's fglrx driver (XV bugged).
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:20 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Still using fg drivers.
jerome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:59 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i'm superfucking new at linux and am using ubuntu, and it's all i have to use (don't ask, long story).

anyways, i have wine installed, extracted continum-wine to the /home/username/ directory, and get this:

andrew@andrew-laptop:~$ cd /home/andrew/Continuum-wine
andrew@andrew-laptop:~/Continuum-wine$ ./continuum.sh
/home/andrew/Continuum-wine/wine: could not locate Wine source tree

bashing/help appreciated - thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Remove all installations/copies of wine. Install/make wine from source using the instructions located on the winehq website. Unzip continuum into your wine c_drive/whatever. run wine /path/to/continuum.exe

Use the wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, dont forget to patch wine before you start the make process.
jerome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:56 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i feel retarded, i assumed (from the context of the website) that cont-wine HAD the wine source in it. so i fixed my errors,but lo and behold:

andrew@andrew-laptop:~/wine-0.9.22$ ./configure && make depend && make
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
andrew@andrew-laptop:~/wine-0.9.22$

o.0 i'm sort of confused.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:38 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what's config.log say?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:48 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is on fedora just as an example.
Download wine 9.21
Download winetools
Download Contiuum contiuum038setup.exe and contiuum039pr1.zip
Download the diff patch file and put it somewhere

[root@localhost ~]# tar -xvf wine-0.9.21.tar
[root@localhost ~]# mv patch.diff wine-0.9.21
[root@localhost ~]# cd wine-0.9.21
[root@localhost wine-0.9.21]# ./cofigure
[root@localhost wine-0.9.21]# cat patch.diff | patch -p1
patching file dlls/kernel32/process.c
[root@localhost wine-0.9.21]# make
[root@localhost wine-0.9.21]# make install
[root@localhost wine-0.9.21]# cd ..
[root@localhost root]# tar -xvzf winetools-0.9jo-III.tar.gz
[root@localhost root]# cd winetools-0.9jo-III
[root@localhost winetools-0.9jo-III]# ./install
[root@localhost winetools-0.9jo-III]# cd ..
[root@localhost root]# wine contiuum038setup.exe
[root@localhost root]# unzip contiuum039pr1.zip
[root@localhost root]# mv menu039pr1.dll //root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Continuum/
[root@localhost root]# mv Contiuum039pr1.exe //root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Continuum/
[root@localhost root]# cd  //root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Continuum/
[root@localhost Continuum]# mv Continuum.exe Contiuum.exe.old
[root@localhost Continuum]# mv Contiuum039pr1.exe Continuum.exe
[root@localhost Continuum]# winecfg

Make the cfg adjustments as shown in the wiki and run icon_smile.gif
jerome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:42 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

## ----------- ##
## Core tests. ##
## ----------- ##

configure:1884: checking build system type
configure:1902: result: i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
configure:1924: checking host system type
configure:1939: result: i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
configure:1993: checking whether make sets $(MAKE)
configure:2018: result: no
configure:2071: checking for gcc
configure:2087: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:2098: result: gcc
configure:2336: checking for C compiler version
configure:2343: gcc --version >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

configure:2346: $? = 0
configure:2353: gcc -v >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: i486-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f95,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --program-suffix=-4.0 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-java-awt=gtk-default --enable-gtk-cairo --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-4.0-1.4.2.0/jre --enable-mpfr --disable-werror --with-tune=pentium4 --enable-checking=release i486-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
configure:2356: $? = 0
configure:2363: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2366: $? = 1
configure:2389: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2416: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2419: $? = 1
configure:2457: result:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "Wine"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "wine"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "0.9.22"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "Wine 0.9.22"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "wine-devel@winehq.org"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:2464: error: C compiler cannot create executables
phong
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:49 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you try following my instructions?

Follow my instuctions on the wiki under examples.
jerome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:28 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

root@andrew-laptop:/home/andrew/wine-0.9.22# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

that's the problem, i can't get through that process
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Run the following: sudo apt-get install build-essential bison flex fontforge libgl1-mesa-dev libgtk1.2 xorg-dev

I changed the example commands around a bit so it is more user-friendly and has some Ubuntu stuff in front. Just tested this on a default Ubuntu installation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 686 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.739161 seconds : 50 queries executed (79.0%): GZIP compression disabled