Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
New IM?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Standard Machine Beep in VB6? Post :: Post FunMan v1.0 Project  View next topic  
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: New IM? Reply to topic Reply with quote

So who's making the new Instant Messenger?
Contempt+
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dunno, MGB might have just put that there.

Couple of friends of mine and I are trying to make an Operating System in Flash. Lol, kind of stupid if you ask me, but hey, what else can you do in web design?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I did hack up a Miranda plugin to use Chatnet protocol a while ago so could do private messages via Miranda, then I remembered I didn't want to talk to anyone in SS anyways.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Quan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just get MSN and call it a day. icon_smile.gif
Siaon
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not going to be easy to make the next generation of IMs.

Yesterday was history, Tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It kind of is, if you know what the hell you are doing, have a lot of time on your hands, and have a bunch of people to work on it with you.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

newb wrote:
It kind of is, if you know what the hell you are doing, have a lot of time on your hands, and have a bunch of people to work on it with you.

Name any existing IM that was written by someone who knew what the hell they were doing?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was going to say skype but..... nvm
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
[..]

Name any existing IM that was written by someone who knew what the hell they were doing?

Gaim? Trillian?
I'm sure they knew what they were doing, otherwise it wouldn't be a chat client would it?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Gaim? Trillian?
I'm sure they knew what they were doing, otherwise it wouldn't be a chat client would it?

Trillian is a bloated piece of garbage.
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You think trillians bad... Gaim has a fun bug that makes it open ports and leave them open (and unused as far as I can tell).

After running it for a week, I opened currports and found gaim had around 300 ports open.
Donkano
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. Whoever made it did a sloppy job then. They should use the method of: Whatever is opened must be closed at some point.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not talking about simple bugs. I'm talking about overall design. An IM should be lean and mean. It should not have 100 buttons/tabs, 13 different windows, and be a 10mb install. When designing an IM, your first focus should not be skinning it. It should be on a stable networking environment.
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trillian is not exactly the best, but it does the job when I want to log on AIM and ICQ.
Gaim is okay for me, the overall skin isn't exactly at its best. But they both could do better.

That's why I use MSN Messenger, and get plugins to remove buttons, ads, windows ect. Works fine.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use Miranda-IM, which I think MGB recommended once. As they brag on the website, the executable and the AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, Yahoo plugins will fit on a floppy. Also, all the functionality is in plugins, the executable simply contains all the interface/utility functions, so you can disable all you want (except for the DB plugin, which is understandable).
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried Miranda once. I thought the UI was crap.
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with Ekted although I am a fan of old versions of ICQ. Plus, they only now have OSCAR support (alpha?). I'm still waiting to see if Miranda 2.0 will be any improvement over usability.

gAIM for windows blows, but still only thing I can use without puking too much.
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Haha, Gaim can translate your text into a lot of languages. Probably very poorly, but it can. tongue.gif

I like the UI of Gaim in fact.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
I use Miranda-IM, which I think MGB recommended once.

Or any chance I get. I love Miranda as the best multi-platform/protocol client. I'm still partial to CenterICQ for console, but use Miranda for all usage. Plus, look how bland I can make it. Jabber (myjabber.net server), AOL (alpha oscar), and good old ICQ. Jabber supports all non-Google jabber users and picks up the rare MSN/Yahoo (0 for yahoo right now) user that doesn't use any other protocol. Stupid Platinum-Halo and his MSN.

Having block-all-users until I add them to my list also helps a lot with useless spam (lets cyber/my server doesn't work).
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Youre on your own contact list?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cerium wrote:

He also has his own picture stuck on a mirror. icon_smile.gif
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cerium wrote:

I do the same thing. It comes in handy when things are freaking out. You can tell pretty quickly if something is wrong.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
I tried Miranda once. I thought the UI was crap.

The UI is crap, but as MGB said, it's just so light.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
[..]

Wtf? Ling Ling?

Wasn't that a character out of "Hot Chick"? icon_biggrin.gif
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cerium wrote:

No, I have different ICQ numbers. One is for my CenterICQ contact list, which I use rarely. It is also useful for debugging the jabber transport protocols, testing new client versions, etc. Also came in handy when I was creating bots, as I also had them use that account to allow me to check up on their status without entering Subspace. Also had it message me if any bot when offline, if someone was trying to abuse a bot, or if one had to incorrectly shutdown at some point.

newb wrote:
Wtf? Ling Ling?

An asian friend of mine. Not everyone's name is Joe, Jim, Alice, or Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Non-Subspace Related Coding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 688 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.476276 seconds : 50 queries executed (91.1%): GZIP compression disabled