Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Forum Layout

View previous topic  How do you change that little message ... Post :: Post More fancy stats  View next topic  
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Forum Layout Reply to topic Reply with quote

MGB, I posted a request a while back for a better forum layout. My big gripe is the way that the ASSS stuff is layed out.

I know if I post another detailed suggestion, you'll never use exactly what I come up with, because you have to do it yourself (even if my way is better). So instead I'll just ask that you figure something out.

Any chance you'll figure something better out?

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:57 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Whats wrong?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:34 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=3813
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:40 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree that there should be a special (moderated) forum for coding. I'd like to see a forum for tech talk/help next to that, to prevent such topics from being trash'd.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:32 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Spliting current forums is a bad idea, so it'd be more creating new forums to split out of Trash Talk and merging some of the ass ones.

• Random Spam
    • Announcements
      • Where staff members can post news and other announcements
    • Trash Talk
      • Every forum has one. This is where you post stuff that doesn't relate to anything at all. No server questions here.
    • Zone Junk
      • Advertise your zone/event or rant about someone else's in here.
    • Zone Hosting
      • Post here if you need hosting, or can offer hosting.

• Assistance
    • Subgame Questions
      • Questions related directly to running and using Subgame for your Subspace zone
    • ASSS Questions
      • Questions related directly to running and using ASSS for your Subspace zone
    • Bot Questions
      • Having a problem running your bot? Getting weird errors you don't understand? Ask here for help with MERV, TWCore, and more
    • LVL/LVZ Questions
      • Have a problem with your LVZ or LVL?

• Coding
    • ASSS Custom Projects
      • Creating a new module? Expanding on someone else's project?
    • Bot Programming
      • Post programming questions related to MERV, TWCore, and more here.
    • Misc User Apps
      • Custom made applications by users.
    • Non-Subspace Related Coding
      • Working on the next great OS? Having problems with "Hello World" in qbasic? So are we, lets talk about it...

This will leave Server Suggestions, Custom Code, and Chatnet Protocol without a home. Server Suggestions will be completely merged into ASSS Questions. Chatnet Protocol, as it only has 23 threads, will be split between ASSS Questions and some other forums, depending on the topic. Custom Code will be changed into ASSS Custom Projects.

To help make finding tools easier, I'll create a sticky in each forum that would need this (LVL/Misc User Apps/etc) an auto-generated post. This post will search all following posts in that thread, grab the subject line, and make a sorted list with links to that specific post. In those posts, anyone can post there, hopefully with a nice structured post. Something with the name of the tool, a short descrption, a link to either the tool's website or another thread dedicated to that tool, and a link to the tool itself.

To help control these new forums, there will be a redesign of the user groups.
Staff - Global control everywhere except Trash Talk.
Server Shark - Control in Zone Junk/Zone Hosting.
Official Helper - Control in all of the Assistance category.
Coding Expert - Control in all Coding category.

For the first while, I'll be in control of the groups. That means I'll be the only one to be able to assign new moderators. After a while, I'll give someone else control over Server Shark, Official Helper, and Coding Expert. Server Shark will pretty much start out under 1ststrike anyways, as he pretty much runs those two places already.

This will keep all the normal question related topics in Assistance, keep grelminar happy by having only two total ASSS forums, one for user questions, one for the programmers.
Ori Klein
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many months after I was gone did it take this place to go straight to hell?

I think that the trash talk is about 30%-40% of the forum now, if not maybe more?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ori Klein wrote:
How many months after I was gone did it take this place to go straight to hell?

Without a common enemy, people didn't know what to do.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:33 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Personally, I think Zone Junk should become part of Trash Talk.
Spyed
Registered Spam Offender

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:09 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
Personally, I think Zone Junk should become part of Trash Talk.

We should have a poll :)
Ori Klein
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha Ha Ryan, very mature.
Seeing as how I never used my power to ban anyone, unlike yourself, I find that very fallible.

I agree with Dr Brain.
Spam is spam, and there's no need for more than one house to roof it.
Announcements should be announcements, and important ones at that.
Anything else belongs in the trash talk, might as well rename it to "Spam Holder" too.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
newb
Turds are yummy
Turds are yummy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There should be a little sub-sub-forum for Spyed where only HE can post, and no one else can.
And Spyed can't post anywhere but his little sub-sub-forum.

Fair enough. icon_smile.gif
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:58 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With that, you'd have to make Spyed's posts never increment since he spams only for his post count number.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:24 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ori Klein wrote:
Seeing as how I never used my power to ban anyone, unlike yourself, I find that very fallible.

I remember unbanning you from yourself.
Spyed
Registered Spam Offender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:57 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, first name terms :)
Ori Klein
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:51 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
I remember unbanning you from yourself.

I recall SS ops doing same when they wished to be barred from the game.
And it hardly constitute as a wrong.
Nor do I think anyone will consider me an enemy for it.

Your illogical excuses are running short.
Admit your failure, cut your loses and move off.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wee, Grav's starting to give us a common enemy again!

Grav: It doesn't matter whether it was "right" or "wrong." It matters that what you said was wrong.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:29 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyways, I'm interested in what you guys think of the above layout. Mostly looking for opinions from people that browse these forums and help other users out, as the people who need help won't be reading this thread to post their opinions.
Cerium
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:35 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

New layout looks super duper, though I agree that zone junk and trash talk should be the same.
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:27 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm ok with just about any layout. My usual protocol when checking these forums every day or so is: for each section that may contain asss-related stuff, if there are any new posts, open up that section and read all the new posts. Then, if I'm bored, maybe open up another section or two. So as long as it's clear from the section title whether it does or does not contain asss-related stuff, I'll be happy.

I'd also try to err on the side of too few sections. So I'd put Zone Junk in with Trash Talk, as brain suggested. Also maybe merge misc. user apps and non-ss related coding into just misc. coding.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed with the above opinions with the exception of merging ZJ with TT. I like to ignore Zone Junk posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 669 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.810922 seconds : 46 queries executed (76.0%): GZIP compression disabled