Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
?obscene pros/cons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Just a thought! Post :: Post Auto-Shutdown  View next topic  
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:50 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it's more like auto-ignore than censorship
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:38 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
it's more like auto-ignore than censorship

It's someone deciding what is offensive to others. Fuck that.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:33 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am an American white male and I think the word "hello" is a racist slur toward me. Are you going to add it to your Nazi file?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:35 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's why I refuse to have a computer filter language in my zone. Only a human can do it with any degree of accuracy.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anybody want to go excercise their free speech? tongue.gif
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:21 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i88gerbils wrote:
Does anybody want to go excercise their free speech? tongue.gif

Free speech only applies when it's the government trying to shut you up, not a private entity.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, everyone can speak their minds anywhere they want to. However there are some people who will not assume responsibility. This is also true for sysops as much as it is for players.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:23 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Call a cop a "pig" to his face and he'll arrest you.

Spam forums and your post will be junked.

Quote:
Free speech only applies when it's the government trying to shut you up, not a private entity.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bak wrote:
Call a cop a "pig" to his face and he'll arrest you.

Yes, a cop might, but there is no legal precedent for it unless you're already going to be arrested anyway.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:22 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just calling the cop a pig is enough to get you arrested

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=13272
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:58 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maverick wrote:
There is a difference between calling a cop a "pig" and telling the cop that you find him a "pig".

The difference is that in the second one you express your opinion, the first one doesn't do that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
BlueGoku
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:42 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
No matter what you do, you can't filter all possible "creative" text: sh1t, @ssh0le, etc.

In HZ we only filter out the racism. If someone is avoiding the filter then they get silenced. That way if people want to joke around with their friends and call eachother racist names, that's fine, there's no malicious intent. But if someone wants to go out of their way to call a player who has the racism filter turned on a racist name through use of special characters, that's where we draw the line.

Personally I don't see what your issue is with this, Ekted, I know you're big on freedom speech and all that, but before I implemented this rule there used to be a strict non-racism policy in HZ, and more than a couple bans for it each day. This is a perfect compromise for the people who are genuinely offended (yeah, I find it hard to believe that someone would get offended over text, but there's really no way of telling).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:25 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ekted is big on free speech but not on open source, interesting.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Free speech is what you are allowed to do. Open source is what others expect of you. Two different directions. And I am not against open source. I just don't think it is a panacea.
Chambahs
Power attack
Power attack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:17 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whats a panacea?
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:57 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ekted wrote:
No matter what you do, you can't filter all possible "creative" text: sh1t, @ssh0le, etc.

Exactly. I'm not in favor of foul speech, but I'm not in favor of blockers either.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:09 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Chambahs wrote:
whats a panacea?

A dictionary works wonders.
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:40 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe in Hick towns of the 18th century like in Montana, but in California it won't fly.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Someone should split this topic
Solo Ape in Spain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:16 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Of course you won't be able to filter everything, but for your example you could write code to replace characters, and then run a check to prevent people from trying to bypass.

But... whatever, I don't even know why I'm even visiting these forums here.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:29 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ape? Who's he?
Muskrat
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:16 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ape

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Still in Spain, unfortunately...

¿Who do you think it is? sa_tongue.gif

¡They're crazy here! ¡They don't use one question mark for questions here, but two!

And the beds are crap, I'd rather sleep on the floor.
Time to sue them for making my neck hurt.

Ah well, time to fly back home today. sa_tongue.gif Adios.
Spyed
Registered Spam Offender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:22 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah right and batman can't handle the oranges in Subspace?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Purge
Episode I > Eposide III
Jar-Jar is kool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Solo Ape wrote:
Still in Spain, unfortunately...

¿Who do you think it is? sa_tongue.gif

¡They're crazy here! ¡They don't use one question mark for questions here, but two!

¿No se habla espanol?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 900 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.809979 seconds : 49 queries executed (77.3%): GZIP compression disabled