Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Settings editor for subgame 1.34.14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic  Simple CFG->SET and SET->CFG Post :: Post Clit error  View next topic  
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a sample of the comparison report I'm working on.
That's all I can do with txt format, maybe a HTML report would be better... but I think the txt one could be good enough for me.

Code: Show/Hide
================================================================
1. Comparing

(1) F:\vb\SubSet\server.cfg
(2) F:\vb\SubSet\server3.set

Files are equal

2. Comparing

(1) F:\vb\SubSet\server.cfg
(2) F:\vb\SubSet\server7.cfg

Warning: File (2) contains errors

Differences: 8

Setting                      (1)          (2)
--------------------------------------  -----------  -----------
Bomb:BombDamageLevel..................  ........750  ........600
Bomb:BombAliveTime....................  .......6000  ......12000
Bomb:BombExplodeDelay.................  ........150  ........250
Bomb:BombExplodePixels................  .........80  .........55
Bomb:ProximityDistance................  ..........3  ..........2
Bomb:JitterTime.......................  .........72  .........15
Bullet:BulletAliveTime................  ........550  ........450
Leviathan:InitialEnergy...............  .......1000  .......1700
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet v1.5 is at top
A380
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

xor eax wrote:
SubSet v1.5 is at top

Where is at the top? Never mind, you mean by page 1.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ew.. yes :)
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A380 just likes being annoying, don't worry.

That settings compare looks very nice, though. Much better than diff could do. If I was designing a zone, I'd definitely use this. icon_biggrin.gif
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you. Well... considering there is no other tool (as far as I know) for comparing CFGs I would consider using it too :p lol
More than an editor this is turning into a maintenance tool...
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes its a good complete application already icon_smile.gif keep it up icon_wink.gif

Can you add some scrollbars to the window while viewing the settings per ship? If I have the window smaller then it can handle i can't scroll to the right icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You mean you want scrollbars on window 2 so you can scroll window 1 from there?

Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

let me clarify. I want to scroll to the right on this window:

[see attachment]

screen.png - 41.19 KB
File downloaded or viewed 67 time(s)
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet 1.6 is at the 1st post of this thread

Having scrollbars on MDI child forms seems to be a pain in the ass in VB (at least it is for me).

I applied a work around in v1.6... the editor window is forced to its max size when normalized, this way the MDI window have something to scroll and the scrollbars appears. They don't scroll it smoothly but this is all what I can do for the moment. I'll look more into it.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet 1.7 is the last version. v1.6 have a stupid bug so the program freezes on Validate and Compare.

v1.7 is at the beginning
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well... v1.8 is here :p

It is solving the bugs I coded in "Compare Files". Sorry about that. I wanted you guys to see the comparison report and the scrollbars and I neglected some "minor" things (the kind of minor things that can close the program due to an error in the middle of the edition...). I checked this version v1.8 to be safe, even if still beta.

So... I'll try to cool down and put here more complete versions only. Sorry about this flood (3 versions in a day!)
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

xor eax wrote:
So... I'll try to cool down and put here more complete versions only.

Yeah, I know how it is. In the program I'm writing, I would always come up with a cool feature and release immediately, only later realizing it crashed whenever you saved or something. icon_biggrin.gif

And are scroll bars that hard? I haven't used VB in forever, but in C++ it's just a window style to add a scroll bar, no code necessary even. It's not just one of the form's properties?
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
I would always come up with a cool feature and release immediately, only later realizing it crashed whenever you saved or something
Heh, I'm lucky that most of you are programmers too, other people would call me names for releasing 3 versions in a day.
The AOK thing you're working on looks very good, it seems to be a huge project. A lot of work behind of it.

Cyan~Fire wrote:
in C++ it's just a window style to add a scroll bar, no code necessary even. It's not just one of the form's properties?
That is the problem. Only MDI parent forms have scrollbars in VB 6 (and they don't work fine). Scrollbars are not a property of child or SDI forms. Anyway, some solutions can be applied in code (putting all controls in a PictureBox and scrolling its contents, and things like that). These are the moments in which I repent from chosing VB, but I will solve it one way or the other.
Also, thanks to Maverick for reminding me of this problem. It is not only a matter of comfortability. Without some scrolling method the program is useless for resolutions below 1024x768.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet 1.9 is at the beginning of this thread.

What's new in v1.9:

-Scrollbars are added to the editor window. They behave as normal scrollbars. I hope you won't notice anything strange, let me know if you do.

-The comparison process is faster. The log is not displayed until the comparison ends. The program is now storing the log in a string and when done it loads it in the Rich Edit control. VB is slow when adding contents to a Rich Edit control that already contains a lot of text. It is sending GETTEXT and SETTEXT messages as for a normal Text control, instead of taking advantage of the streaming capabilities of the Rich Edit control.

-The program remember the last files selected for validating/comparing so you can quickly repeat the last validation/comparison without having to select the files again.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet 1.10 at the beginning

I've added mouse wheel tracking to editor scrollbars. The scrollbar control I'm using does not respond to mouse wheel so I've implemented a similar functionality for it. There is one difference with the standard mouse wheel algorithm. In my implementation the horizontal scrollbar respond to the mouse wheel too. The program apply mouse wheel movement to the scrollbar you clicked last. I find it to be more handy than the classic "vert scroll only" algorithm.

Also, an option in Preferences is added to set the wheel speed.
A380
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, how many versions are you going to do?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A coding project is never finished.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A380 wrote:
Wow, how many versions are you going to do?
I hope they won't be a lot... Let's see if Maverick thinks the changes are ok and nobody wants more options to be introduced. I want to start the ASSS editor, if I don't do it soon I'll have to wait to september.

Cyan~Fire wrote:
A coding project is never finished.
Absolutely. The source is there. The compiler is there. The temptation to play with both is always there too.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice, good job grav_cool-hands.gif

Few points you might want to improve:
- You can't remove a single file from the "With Files (x)" field on the "Compare CFG/SET Files" window, you can only remove all files. (What if you added 10 files but one is wrong?)
- Misc:PeriodicMessage - length can be longer then 99
- Textfields are cut on the right [see attachment].

For the rest its one very good program, good job biggrin.gif
Certainly something alot of people can use

cut.png - 26.79 KB
File downloaded or viewed 52 time(s)
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you ;) I should have write this program 6 years before... I've been thinking on it for a long time.

Maverick wrote:
You can't remove a single file from the "With Files (x)" field on the "Compare CFG/SET Files" window
Hehe... the DELETE key is doing the job ;) It deletes all selected files (the file list allow simple multiselection). The program has some hot keys and other features that I must explain in some kind of help file. The delete key is an obvious one, but I understand that it's not so obvious if you are just testing the program with some hurry.
Another hint about the Validate/Compare reports: Once the report is generated, click on the files (in the "With Files (x)" grid). The log will automatically scroll to the file being clicked. It works the opposite way too (double clicking the file name in the log will select that file in the With files (x) list). Well... this long explanations are not good (specially if my english suck), just click on the files after generating the log and see what happends... ;)
I'm not happy about the perfomance of the Rich Edit control which shows the logs. It is very slow when more than 50 files or so are being scanned. Generating big logs it's not recommended... I'm still looking for a solution (I can implement streaming to Rich Edit but then... why the hell I'm using VB if I have to overwrite a half of its functionality?. Also, I'm afraid that any other control will be "flooded" too with logs bigger than 5 MB.

Maverick wrote:
Misc:PeriodicMessage - length can be longer then 99
I was sure that I was missing something about format/length/validation/etc of settings. Thank you for the information. Also, maybe some fields need a revision for its Low/High limits... Please tell me any wrong thing you may find in the future.

Maverick wrote:
Textfields are cut on the right
It is missing the border pixels only. It is ugly but field contents are still visible (see attachment). I'll try to shrink the width of the page somehow (stealing a few pixels here and there)...

fields1.png - 17.05 KB
File downloaded or viewed 60 time(s)
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSet 1.11 is at the beginning.

What's new:

-Fields aren't cut on the right anymore.
-Some internal enhancements that you won't notice, nothing important.

About the length of alphanumeric settings... nothing is still changed, because I just discovered something really nasty. The server is truncating these fields to 99 chars + some garbage when it comes the time of creating the server.set to be sent to the client. Alphanumeric fields with more than 99 chars get CORRUPT in the SET file.
Right now I just want to throw all Subspace/Continuum software through the window and forget the damned thing... #@%##!!! What I'm going to do with the editor, with the whole project? Tell the user that he MUST use CFG only and forget about SET? And of course it is not a problem for my stupid program only, it is about the integrity of the whole SET implementation at server.

Let me put an example of the bug:

-You edit your server.set file and set it like this:

Misc:PeriodicMessage0:<imagine 150 chars in here>:::Info about this... blah blah

-Then you send it to server using "?setsettings server.set" command. The file server.cfg gets correctly updated.

-Then you use ?getsettings from the client to retrieve the SET file again. Misc:PeriodicMessage0 is corrupt in the SET file. It looks like:

Misc:PeriodicMessage0:<imagine 99 chars in here>PeriodicMessage1:::Info about this... blah blah

Please, somebody tell me I'm wrong or blind or whatever and I'll be just happy :p

Last edited by xor eax on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I couldn't recommend ?getsettings anymore. I just can see 2 ways to safely work with settings:

-1. Work with CFG exclusively and forget SET.

-2. Open the CFG file in SubSet (or any other converter) and save it as SET. Work on this SET file doing ?setsettings all the time and NEVER doing a ?getsettings command.

Solution 1 can be applied if you are at server. If you are not at server (the most common situation for sysops I guess) you should use solution 2: Get a copy of the CFG (by email, ftp, etc, NOT with ?getsettings), convert it to SET with an external tool (SubSet, etc) and use ?setsettings command ONLY.

So... I am allowing a size of 163 chars for alphanumeric fields in SubSet. I will release v1.12 tomorrow, after thinking of it all a bit more and doing some more tests to the server..
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After doing more tests, these are my conclusions. I'm not pretending to teach anybody how the game is, I know that a lot of ppl in here knows a lot of more than me. I'm just thinking aloud so anybody can correct me if I'm wrong. I just want SubSet to be a working tool and not mess settings up.

These are the logical (aceptable) lengths for all alphanumeric fields (the physical length is 255 for all of them):

Notes:SettingName     (255)
Notes:Maker           (255)
Notes:CoMaker         (255)
Notes:MapName         (255)
Notes:Mapper          (255)
Notes:Note1           (255)
Notes:Note2           (255)
Notes:Note3           (255)
Notes:Note4           (255)
Notes:Note5           (255)

Misc:SheepMessage     (159) *see notes below
Misc:GreetMessage     (158) *see notes below
Misc:PeriodicMessage0 (159) *see notes below
Misc:PeriodicMessage1 (159) *see notes below
Misc:PeriodicMessage2 (159) *see notes below
Misc:PeriodicMessage3 (159) *see notes below
Misc:PeriodicMessage4 (159) *see notes below
Misc:LevelFiles       (255)

Owner:Name            (255)

Maker:Maker           (255)

ALL alphanumeric settings can have a maximum length of 255 chars in the CFG file. But the "Message" settings have some special rules.

For "Message" settings, only the length that I mention in the list of above will be displayed in the game. This applies to SheepMEssage and GreetMessage. The "PeriodicMessage" settings are even more weird... The syntax for these messages, as you all know, is:

(Time for repeating) (Delay after arena is created) (Text)

When showing these messages the server will display the 1st 159 chars of (Text). So the length of (Time for repeating) and (Delay after arena is created) doesn't count against the 159 chars of (Text). Remember that the CFG file accepts 255 chars for ANY alphanumeric settings. The problem here is how many characters will be displayed and how many will be ignored if (Text) is too long... I'll put an example:

Misc:PeriodicMessage0:1 1 <159 chars goes in here>

and

Misc:PeriodicMessage0:15 15 <159 chars goes in here>

are both valid settings, but

Misc:PeriodicMessage0:1 1 <160 chars goes in here>

is not valid, the last character of the message won't be shown

Well... I guess 255 is the right length for the rest. And about the Message settings, SubSet will validate them separately, calculating the length of the message. It won't solve the ?getsettings problem, which is out of the scope of SubSet. But at least the alphanumeric settings will be treated by the program in the right way.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think you have problems with .set files because they only serve as a temporary file when doing Esc + c in-game?
Dunno, but I always found them quite unusuable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 676 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.450234 seconds : 52 queries executed (90.4%): GZIP compression disabled