Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Settings editor for subgame 1.34.14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic  Simple CFG->SET and SET->CFG Post :: Post Clit error  View next topic  
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

version 1.2b linked at top
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Version 1.3 at top
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can you include an non-installer version please? (zipped?)
I hate to install programs that doesn't really require an installer.

Oh, maybe it would be better if the original template.sss is renamed to template.sss.org or template.sss.bak. I think thats what people usually use as extension.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Done.

This application really needs an installer. You don't need it now because you have installed an earlier version so the components are already registered in your system. But I've been adding more components so if you get any error you must do a full installation.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maverick wrote:
maybe it would be better if the original template.sss is renamed to template.sss.org or template.sss.bak. I think thats what people usually use as extension.

Ok, next version will rename template.sss as template.sss.bak
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

xor eax wrote:
the components are already registered in your system

You're adding registry keys? Please don't, just use an INI.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:

Actually, its a whole bunch of VB dlls and such that make it so bloated and require the installer to verify that they are all there.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I used to write VB programs (please, please never quote me on that) I just included the link to the MS site for the necessary DLLs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
I'm not adding registry keys. The installer is doing it for the new components.

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Actually, its a whole bunch of VB dlls and such that make it so bloated and require the installer to verify that they are all there.
Exactly.

Cyan~Fire wrote:
I just included the link to the MS site for the necessary DLLs.
It is not only about DLLs and runtimes. OCX components must be registered as OLE servers. Most of the OCX components of the program are standard windows components that are already present when you install this application. But there is at least one component which is not so common, smbutton.ocx. (I am installing all this stuff in the program folder, not in the System folder, to keep your system more clean.)

I'm an assembly programmer, but I use VB or Delphi for simple projects like this ( I just hate C... sorry). This program has no mystery at all, it's just reading/moving/saving data all the time (no fast graphics are required, no complex calculations, no mystery in any way). Data comes from txt files. VB is pretty fast in random disk access. I don't see the advantage of assembly here.
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you can write assembly... C shouldn't be that hard since it can be directly translated

xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, it's not hard. It's just annoying... all those "{" and its correspondent "}" :p If I have to write it in C I would use assembly instead. But I thought this kind of program is ok for a language like VB. Text files and text boxes... that's what it's all about. I built it in a couple of weeks of free time. It would take the double for me to write it in assembly. And I bet you won't notice any perfomance gain in the asm version. Not in this kind of code. Hmm.. I think I'll use asm for the ASSS version so we can compare.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind, this is what I used. http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Utilities/Libraries/vb5.html
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, Cyan, you are right. But if you use some other OCX (such as smbutton.ocx) you have to distribute it since it is not included with the VB run times and standard components.

About perfomance between asm and VB, I admit VB waste much more resources and memory having loaded tones of code that your program won't use... I checked the max memory usage to be about 30 MB (having 8 files loaded for editing) and the min is about 5 MB. I guess asm would waste less than a half. But I thought it is not a big problem with modern computers. The ASSS asm version of the editor will be much more efficient internally, but it won't be faster or "better" in the same proportion.

And I still haven't heard a "shut up you shitty VB programmer!", which is cool :)
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Although I am nearly as obsessed with efficiency as Ekted is, I definitely do not support ASM coding. That's just way too much effort for so little gain. (And produces such unreadable code.) I, however, absolutely do not understand your aversion to the C syntax. I find it the most organized and (if well-written) the most readable of all the languages I've encountered.

And anyway, brackets are easier to type than the words VB forces you to use. You prefer "End Sub" over "}" and End If over "}" and even Wend over "}"?
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well.. I'm kinda obssessed with efficiency too, but not always. This program is just a little tool. You can write it in C or asm, and you will end up sending WM_SETTEXT/WM_GETTEXT messages to Text windows all the time as well. It will be much better code, no doubt. The thing is about the price to pay for it. You can call me cheap for chosing VB :p

About C syntax... don't get me wrong. I think C is a pretty good language. I was kidding about the brackets. They are not worse than End Sub, Loop Until, etc. But I don't think asm is unreadable. I find it to be transparent... :p When debugging your asm code you see almost the same source you wrote. And you are forced to think as the machine does, which could be bad for your mental health but is good for the code you write.

On the other hand, low level is almost a joke in Windows. It is not REAL machine code, it runs in Ring 3 into the VM. You have to write an VxD to "get out of The Matrix". You don't even see the real memory but the space reserved for you by the VM... 4 GB of linear addresses for each process, a joke. It is not pure x86 asm, it is Win32 asm. That's why it is so similar to C in windows. You wouldn't think of calling BIOS Int 10h to change the video mode without crashing the system, you have to use APIs for almost everything so it's very similar to C or any other language in the end.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Version 1.4 is at top.

I will be testing this version in the next days. When ready I will release the version 2.0 and I'll start working in the ASSS setting editor.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Do somebody think that an option to compare CFGs could be useful? It can be used to check settings differences from pub to subarenas, or to check what is changed between different settings versions of same arena.

Bah! with luck I will end this program about next year or so... :p
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there's always diff or windiff.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
Well, there's always diff or windiff.
True... these tools can do the job quite well.

Right now I can only see 2 advantages in a custom made comparision:
-The ability of comparing CFG with SET (that's something WinDiff will never do...).
-A more clear list of differences, that can be saved to disk or printed.
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That would be very usefull.
It would be so much easier to compare subarena setts which are based on pub compare with pub settings. Also other way around.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok then. You want it to compare files 1 to 1 or 1 to many?

It can be: compare File1 to File2
or: compare File1 to File2, File3, ..., FileN

I guess the 2nd option is better
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Second option makes first option possible aswell. However it might be a bitch to move a file into a seperate directory to just compare one file to the one in the new directory.
Good GUI is of the essence here, if you don't do it good the feature will become unusable.
For example (the program I like and use the most for file comparing) ExamDiff.
xor eax
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was thinking on logical comparison, not physical. Lines can be disordered, have remarks or not, the program will look into the setting value only (if validations errors are found during comparison the program will just warn about it). As a result of this the program will be able to compare CFG with SET.

Imagine that File1.set has this content:
Bomb:BombDamageLevel:750:::Amount of damage blah blah
Bomb:BombAliveTime:6000:::Time bomb is alive blah blah

And File2.set is physically different:
Bomb:BombAliveTime:6000:::Time bomb is alive blah blah
Bomb:BombDamageLevel:750:::Amount of damage blah blah

The program will say they are equal... and they are equal to the eyes of the server.

So the comparison report won't look like the one of a Diff tool. It will look more like:

Code: Show/Hide

File1: server.cfg
File2: somefile.set

List of differences:

Bomb:BombAliveTime  (6000 / 3000)
Brick:BrickTime     (12000 / 8000)
Bullet:ExactDamage  (0 / <not found>)
Flag:CarryFlags     (1 / <error>)

Differences: 4

Warning: somefile.set contains errors.

This is the first idea that comes to my mind, just tell me what kind of GUI you want...
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Agreed, that might be better.
Well all GUI is good as long as its clear and easily understandable (use the right colors, make it easy scrollable, etc).

Maybe even some table idea:

Code: Show/Hide

Changed properties:

File1.cfg             File2.cfg
BulletAliveTime     100                   200
SpawnSave           5000                  3000

im not sure though, this just crossed my mind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sure, A grid or something like this would be ok. Just put the data aligned to be comfortably readable.

About the right colors, etc, please tell me any other thing you want to change in the program. Is the validation report ok? And my english is not very good, please warn me about incorrections you may find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 642 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.575691 seconds : 50 queries executed (74.8%): GZIP compression disabled