Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Continuum Game Development -- OpenGL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic  Remote Biller Connection Post :: Post Help me with Billing, im beginner  View next topic  
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have pre-olfacnition.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah. Sometimes I wish I had that talent.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

At least this person knows what OpenGL is and isn't talking about how they broke cont encryption in 5 seconds by reading some file that subgame spit out in their visual basic app

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
elux

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey guys..

in terms of copyrights and trademarks for "Subspace", does anyone know what the rules are? Including things such as the brand 'Subspace', the ships (warbird, etc.).. the graphics, the sounds ..

Peter
50% Packetloss
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The game can't be called "Subspace" because you'll get sued. The owners of the rights to subspace have the obligation to protect company assets, so by calling the game Subspace you'll force them to take you to court; Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Concentrating on a new protocol is your best bet... if you can tack it onto a VIE client that you made. Hell, just make a client that can choose between VIE and your own protocol.

The reason why Ekted's so pessimistic is due to his views that have been posted repeatedly about this subject, and it deepens everytime he has to explain it.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1. Most people think making an SS clone is easy, and they have no clue.

2. Most people who program think they are good, and they have no idea they suck.

3. Even if you made a better game than SS with fully functional client/server/hosts, you'd have a tough time getting a player base. A game is more than the code and the infrastructure; it's the community. There's an awful lot of inertia in a community.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Respect, Ekted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there exists a file format spec on the maps used in continuum? I was playing with the editor and I can see it knows what type of object has what property based on the row (ie. fly under, fly over)..

I am trying to find how the map was assembled so I can build an SDL wrapper to read/load the maps.

Thanks.

Peter
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/LVL_Format
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I arleady created a basic engine for ContinuumX (what im calling the SDL release). Right now I have the warbird flying around a very basic map... still need a lot of work.

Is there a place I can download all the extracted bitmaps (ships, bullets, greens, etc.), sounds and any other media used in the game? Not sure if such a resource is available. If not I will have to extract it all manually.

Thanks.

Peter
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Extract, lol. They are in your Continuum graphics and sound directory.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Eeek.. My mistake .. I don't actually have continuum on this machine as im developing on an OSX box. I'll go download the game. thanks.

Thanks.

Peter
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is some stuff here:
http://www.subspacedownloads.com/index.php?act=list&cat=16
elux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

one thing I'm still trying to understand is why all the bitmaps were renamed to .bm2 and all the wavs to .wa2 .. was this to prevent people from accidentally editing them?

In addition, are there any other specifications on subspace/continuum out there? maybe something like the chat protocol or game network i/o.

Peter
elux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind .. I was able to find a good reference

http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/Category:Protocol

I'll message back when I get something working. thanks guys.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

elux wrote:
one thing I'm still trying to understand is why all the bitmaps were renamed to .bm2 and all the wavs to .wa2 .. was this to prevent people from accidentally editing them?

I think someone once said that VIE was going to create a modified format based on bmp and wav, but never got around to it.
EdTheInvincible
Bumper? on!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I can't play their .flc files with anything else than ss..
elux

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This message is for Mr. Ekted or anyone else who might know...

in terms of the game ai (ship movement), is there a spec on the parameters the server excepts to pass for ship speed/accell? from my understanding I should implement velocity/accelleration equations with force vectors and leave parameters open for the magnitude of the vectors (speed). These values would be retrieved upon entering a zone... correct?

Right now I am implementing the object (ship/bullet/bomb/thor/shrapnel) movement based on observation; is there a spec that shows the physics ai parameters used in continuum? (friction, gravity, force, etc. etc.)

Thanks

Peter
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's no spec. Friction and gravity are not known for sure. Velocities are specified in pixels per 10 seconds. You can look at the MERV source to see the contents of the arena settings packet.
elux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok thanks..

I talked to Snrrrub a few minutes ago and he mentioned the problem continuum encryption creates for 3rd party clients. The only way a 3rd party client (like mine, his or pxlyz's) will work is if we use the same encryption method.

seeing as how thats not an open algorithm .. it would be impossible to use a 3rd party ss client unless 1.) you cracked the algorithm (in which case a new version of continuum would be released with an updated algo) 2.) you are granted VIP access and use the old VIE algorithm

I wish there was some way of getting a linux / osx ss client out. There is a lot of development talent from Snrrrub and others but a lot of barriers to entry.

its unfortunate.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

in what units are thrust and rotation in the settings? i dont think they are pixels/10s.. (?)
Maverick
broken record

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

EdTheInvincible wrote:
Well, I can't play their .flc files with anything else than ss..

.flc is an old movie format from .fly I think.
You should be able to find some (dos) .fly movie viewers for it.
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
we'll adapt ASSS to let your protocol and youll be able to play with Continuum clients without a hitch.

I think that was said in this very thread.... O_O
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
in what units are thrust and rotation in the settings? i dont think they are pixels/10s.. (?)

Smong and I had a debatea about the readability of this, but rotation is in 90°/hundredths of seconds (That is, 400 for a full rotation in 1s). AFAIK, nobody knows what thrust is in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 627 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.651980 seconds : 50 queries executed (94.0%): GZIP compression disabled