Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
early version of another map editor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  Another cfg2conf convertor Post :: Post Random Numbers...  View next topic  
-Smong-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: early version of another map editor Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well seeing as the sample map that comes with my ctf module might not open with SSME I'm posting the version of LAME (Another Map Editor) that I used to make it with.

Stuff that I should say according to the sticky:
LAME is in early development stages and it's written in C.

What it can do some other editors can't:
* View .hlp files
* View version 2 regions
* Allow painting of arbitrary tiles

What's missing:
* elvl data is not written when saving
* You can't add or delete regions
* Fancy paint tools

Some controls you should know:
* Similar look and feel to SS
* Ctrl + left click to pick up tile
* Right click and drag to scroll
* F4 to toggle the tile palette (the pacman tile is the one that eats weapons)

linux only, linked to SDL 1.2.x

lame-0.2.3.tar.gz - 167.2 KB
File downloaded or viewed 201 time(s)
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Umm, your project seems to conflict with a more popular project of the same name.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
-Smong-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't care. Is there a legal problem?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Its more to deal with when talking about the project, people will easily confuse it with a much more popular project. Also, googling for it won't return it at all.

After playing with it a bit, it does look very nice. A problem is when you resize the window, it doesn't show more of the map. Since you mentioned this uses SDL, it shouldn't be a problem at all to port to Windows. If you need some assistance, we are here to help.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Name it ASSSKISS or something.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LAME also doesn't make sense... did you mean (Linux) Another Map Editor? Even if that made sense, it'd be ...not good.
(sidenote: LAME [mp3 encoder] must be one of the dumbest acronyms in the giant see of dumb acronyms there are)

But ya, like Doc said. We should make it a point to ensure that eventually all ss/continuum-related apps have x-rated names.

So: CLIT, ASSS and PUSSY for Portable Ultimate SubSpace Yeti...dur

Last edited by SuSE on Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSpace Level Or Other Gunk Editor
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:
LAME also doesn't make sense... did you mean (Linux) Another Map Editor? Even if that made sense, it'd be ...not good.

Its a recursive acronym, like GNU (GNU's not UNIX), the real LAME (LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder), PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor), etc. Computer people are geeks like that.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ya, but LAME IS and mp3 encoder tongue.gif (that comment was actually referring to Smong's LAME, though)
-Smong-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fortunately I have a backup name, 'DustEd' named after Dustpuppy.

The resize glitch:
I experimented with window resize about a year back and the window just sort of grew and moved across the screen all by itself.
There are -w and -h parameters for width and height, but since you can run it without a map as a parameter you never get to see the usage text.

Windows:
Yeah I know it's portable but last time I tried compiling an SDL app with VC6 it kind of screwed up directdraw or something after the second run, so it was just a window frame with nothing inside it (happened to ctm too).
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

-Smong- wrote:
Fortunately I have a backup name, 'DustEd' named after Dustpuppy.

duster's cool, but I'm not sure that makes sense, either sa_tongue.gif

-Smong- wrote:
Windows:
Yeah I know it's portable but last time I tried compiling an SDL app with VC6 it kind of screwed up directdraw or something after the second run, so it was just a window frame with nothing inside it (happened to ctm too).

ewww don't use that stuff
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's good to see another map editor, especially one with new features. I really want to see one grow into a complete zone authoring environment, including lvls, regions, settings, lvzs, and even source code.

For the record, LAME (the mp3 encoder) originally wan't an mp3 encoder, it was a giant patch to the reference encoder source code published by the ISO that improved quality and speed. Later on, it became independent from the ISO source and only then did the name become inaccurate.
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the first version (and probably the first release) of DustEd, I love it. sa_tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
It's good to see another map editor, especially one with new features. I really want to see one grow into a complete zone authoring environment, including lvls, regions, settings, lvzs, and even source code.

and not in Java sa_tongue.gif
Grelminar wrote:
For the record, LAME (the mp3 encoder) originally wan't an mp3 encoder, it was a giant patch to the reference encoder source code published by the ISO that improved quality and speed. Later on, it became independent from the ISO source and only then did the name become inaccurate.

duh icon_rolleyes.gif
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Edit2: I had to resolve all my forward declarations, activate some obscure multithreaded runtime library option thingymajigy and ignore a whole load of signed/unsigned warnings.

This version has the resizable window.

windows version, sdl dll included.

dusted-0.2.4.zip - 240.23 KB
File downloaded or viewed 61 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice little clone of the SS engine or w/e ya wanna call it icon_smile.gif. Anyways, it a tad slow on my machine using the arrows to move around... o well.
-Smong-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Uh yeah the arrow keys are actually for when I was debugging the smooth scrolling (hence 1px per tap), you're supposed to use the mouse.
Tweezy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You're supposed to use the mouse to scroll, not the arrow keys.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong's Happy Level prOductioN Gear

edit: I guess Hyper or Hallucinogenic would work too

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SubSpace Levels for Unix Tool

SLUT

or

SubSpace Mapping for Unix Tool

SMUT

This is defintely the acronym, the words can be changed around a bit. Well either a "L" or a "M".

Or maybe, Subspace Linux (or Level) Utility ToolS (if it will be more than just maps). In which case it could be sluts.

And how about:

Continuum Unix Mapping or a variation thereof. But the best of that name would of course be, Continuum Mapping 4 Unix, or CuM4U.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like SubSpace Level Utitlity Tool - it doesn't favor one platform
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For the record, I didn't intend to start a trend of naming SS-related programs with vulgar puns. It was more of a play on "A Small ..." than anything else. I think LAME and DustEd are both good names.

Also, my complaint about, um, CLIT, isn't that it's written in java, but that it doesn't run (with all its features) on linux. And it doesn't support ELVL stuff yet, but I understand that might take some time.
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think everyone was joking about the vulgar acronyms.

SSMT would be my real reccomendation

SubSpace Map Tool(kit)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I prefer acronyms with vowels - one or two syllables is best. Vulgar or not.

Regarding CLIT, I think 2dragons mention it was going to be basically completely remade.
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmmmm i still think SSME is the best tool yet; if someone could clone it; and add features and fix the bugs, life would be good. Simply because it runs fast; and is pretty powerful, GUI is simple but yet effective. etc.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 660 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.493849 seconds : 52 queries executed (74.7%): GZIP compression disabled