Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Just Another ChatNet Client (JACC) (1.0 release)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Printable version
 View previous topic  LVZ Suite (Project moved to another si... Post :: Post Continuum Zone Architect  View next topic  
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

Interesting.. Thanks for bearing w/ me on this... I still think it's a user control creating an issue. :/

edit:
Do me a favor try running this special version I made for you; it'll run a message box for each step of loading it does (10 steps). Let me know of the results...

edit:
attachment removed. thanks for reporting back.

Last edited by CypherJF on Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

Speaking of memory overloads, whats the fastest way to chew up ram of say, a school computer? Do I just put a big malloc inside a while loop?

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

calloc() is better. That will guarantee all allocated virtual RAM gets committed.
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

This is really pedantic, but in theory, calloc could be implemented without actually writing to memory, if the C library knows that the mechanism it's using to get new pages from the OS are pre-zeroed. This is true for anonymously mmaped pages on unix systems. To really be sure you're forcing physical RAM and swap to be allocated, do the memset yourself.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Chocko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

finishes step 2 and then goes out of memory
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

It's exiting on/near
call frmmain.show()

hmmm, it's got to be something on that form that's causing it. I really don't know. :-/ sorry.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

Grelminar wrote:
This is really pedantic, but in theory, calloc could be implemented without actually writing to memory, if the C library knows that the mechanism it's using to get new pages from the OS are pre-zeroed. This is true for anonymously mmaped pages on unix systems. To really be sure you're forcing physical RAM and swap to be allocated, do the memset yourself.

Or to be even more efficient, malloc() the RAM and write just a single word every 4K (or whatever VM granularity is). icon_smile.gif
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

Out of Memory Issue:
Chocko and I finally got to sit down and figured it out. D With Windows XP you can follow steps such as this:
1.) Goto c:/windows/system32/, and backup your mswinsck.ocx
2.) Locate and install mswinsck.ocx into the /system32/ directory.
3.) Goto run type in: regsvr32 "c:/windows/system32/mswinsck.ocx"

The problem should be fixed. Note: I gave Chocko my copy of the Winsock control, so it is possible download on the link I have provided may not be a proper version.

Version 1.2 has been released; click here to go there.
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 661 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.457884 seconds : 33 queries executed (91.9%): GZIP compression disabled