Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Biller improvements

View previous topic  Tileset Extractor Post :: Post LIE2 update  View next topic  
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Biller improvements Reply to topic Reply with quote

As some of you know, I am writing a biller. I have not yet added any special stuff (such as messaging) to it. As demonstrated in a recent post, some people are not happy with some of the ?messages that exist. How SHOULD the messaging system be set up?

I would also like any other ideas you have to improve my biller. The core functionality is based on catid's biller, so any gripes with that are good things to suggest. The more detail the better.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1stStrike
Cute like a kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i would like the ?message to be setup kind of like an in-game email rather then writing a little note to them. people would have inbox's and would list all of the messages they have and there would be options to view, delete the message, etc. and they could store important messages in a history of some sort.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
ExplodyThingy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A ?calc command to do little math problems.
Why minimize, the click Start->Programs->Accessories->Calculator, when you can do "?calc 23*60*60*24*365" (to figure out how many milisedonds in 23 years or "?calc 19+(2342-23*54)/386" for whatever or "?calc sqrt(64)^2" to do nothing.

Dr Brain> I hate clean air and clean water. I'm a member of Evil Conservitive Industries
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, both posts have good ideas and have been put onto my feature list.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ExplodyThingy wrote:
A ?calc command to do little math problems.
Why minimize, the click Start->Programs->Accessories->Calculator, when you can do "?calc 23*60*60*24*365" (to figure out how many milisedonds in 23 years or "?calc 19+(2342-23*54)/386" for whatever or "?calc sqrt(64)^2" to do nothing.

how about ?factor or ?csine or ?phys... ?
more to do list fodder

how about ?suggetsion or ?commentbox
like they have in restaurants and walmarts, but digital. that could actually be really useful

maybe a voting system as in:

GreetMessage = New map up for testing. Like it? Please ?vote Yes or ?vote No

and then ?pollresults, *polltitle, *pollreset

thats just a nifty little thing for zone managers and SYSOPS, right? almost instant player run zone, right?

thnx for listening sa_tongue.gif
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have added all of your stuff to my list, and I really like the suggestion and voting stuff.
Fuzzjdc
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Helicon wrote:
[..]

how about ?factor or ?csine or ?phys... ?
more to do list fodder

why not have ?calc factor and stuff like that

and something to figure out your win ratio. i think that was it, something mathamatical with your wins and losses. MGB knows it it was in a post ages ago
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

?whocares

also ?listsquad and ?squadchat = and ?squadmessage would be handy!!!

*announcement days:message
for messaging every person on the biller for x amount of time with an announcement from "Staff" (this is pushing it)

also, logging the number of ?cheater complaints... just to kill unnecessary snithcing icon_wink.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can't put *commands in the biller sa_tongue.gif So stop using the *s here.
What lang is the biller made in? How big is it(filesize I mean)?
-"l33t h41ku"
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Java, and it doesn't have a size yet, as I'm not done writing it. I decided to get some ideas before I need them.
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

JAVA???
Quote:
The cool thing about Java is that it's so slow
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you do java correctly, it isn't too slow (though it is). Like say you were using SQL for the db, you can have SQL do about EVERYTHING that is needed for the billing server except sending the info back and forth. So as long as he is only using java as a forwarding system of messages from zone <-> sql and zone <-> zone relationships, then he is doing fine.
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Still scared me when I read it sa_tongue.gif
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been programming in Java for 2 years, so go bug someone else tongue.gif. Java's speed is acceptable for an application like this, and the portablilty is VERY nice.

Yes, I am planning to use MySQL, but as I have not programmed with it before, I will finish a complete port of Catid's biller, then add/fix stuff. This has the added benefit of making me know the biller inside and out in a language I can program very well in. After that, I can add all of the features and have it run on Linux.
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Port? Meh... I hope you don't mean a 1:1 port. Catid's biller is not really well made for long-term use.
All his soft (except MERVBot, more or less) is meant just as a tech test(Like SS. That thing was not really well made, really).
So I would say making a new one from ground up(And ignoring the current protocol since you can make your own and better with ASSS) would be much better.

Altough if you haven't made soemthing like this before, Catid's biller does show you stuff.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

An interesting point, and I think you are right, I will wait until the asss source is released to write the biller, as this has some other interesting bonuses. I'm not very far into the port anyway.
4gotten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?t=488
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 668 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.513402 seconds : 42 queries executed (79.4%): GZIP compression disabled