Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Note: I will not read posts with subjects like 'help'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic  What? Post :: Post Firefox 0.9.3  View next topic  
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:35 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What exactly is the difference between cutting a stick into 15 seconds and cutting it into 1000 pixels? You can't do either without a non-fixed conversion factor.

Know those huge TVs they have at Best Buy and similar places? The ones that are made up of several smaller TVs? What's 1000 pixels on one of those? Answer: The same amount of pixels as on a 10" TV. The only difference is the real world length, which pixels can't be used to measure anyway.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:01 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why the hay are you talking about men in white coats? We're talking about units of distance, which everybody recognizes. Ask anybody "what is a unit of distance?" and they might either say "an inch" or "a meter", depending where they live. Now they may not be able to tell exactly how long it is (that is the white coats' job), but they do recognize it as something that measures a length. The average person cannot measure something real-world in pixels.

And the only reason you can measure things in pixels in SS is that your LOS expands with a higher resolution, and therefore there is a conversion factor between length and pixels on your monitor. And there's where your last point is contradicted, Zig. Everybody has a 'pixel-sense' for their monitor at the resolution you normally use. Everybody also has a pixel-sense for their monitor no matter what resolution is Subspace. But that doesn't mean that a pixel means anything in the real world.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:47 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Ok, pick one of these and tell me which you like.

Essentially any of those will work.
Cyan~Fire wrote:
you can measure things in pixels

Congratulations, you've just joined the ranks of other people on this thread that have accidentally agreed with me. Good job.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:38 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:
Essentially any of those will work.

Good, now pick which one is the size of a CD, since you know, normal CDs are all exactly the same size, and by any of those definitions you said are valid, any 1 says:
The Dictionary wrote:
To ascertain the dimensions, quantity, or capacity of

So, I just want to ascertain the dimensions of a CD in which I'll be able to directly hit 'PRINT' on any program of my computer to print out the size of a CD on any paper I place into my computer. Or if you don't like that, I could tell you I'll be using PSP 3.12 with glossy 8.5" by 11" paper, but you don't get a DPI since you didn't need one in the original SSForum post.

SuSE wrote:
Congratulations, you've just joined the ranks of other people on this thread that have accidentally agreed with me. Good job.

Please stop taking quotes out of context, and you'll stop sounding like a tabloid.

cd-cover-4.jpg - 3.08 KB
File downloaded or viewed 16 time(s)

cd-cover-3.jpg - 40.23 KB
File downloaded or viewed 20 time(s)

cd-cover-2.jpg - 81.58 KB
File downloaded or viewed 20 time(s)

cd-cover-1.jpg - 109.79 KB
File downloaded or viewed 18 time(s)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:05 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What exactly is the difference between cutting a stick into 15 seconds and cutting it into 1000 pixels?

-um, obviously one dimension is time, and since lenght is not associated with time (for the sake of this argument). they are very differant icon_rolleyes.gif

You can't do either without a non-fixed conversion factor.

-at the risk of repeating myself. you only need to convert the distance if you want to know how long it is in other forms of measure.

Know those huge TVs they have at Best Buy and similar places? The ones that are made up of several smaller TVs? What's 1000 pixels on one of those? Answer: The same amount of pixels as on a 10" TV. The only difference is the real world length, which pixels can't be used to measure anyway.

-again at the risk of repeating myself.....1000 pixels on zigs screen = 1000 pixels on zigs screen anywhere in the universe.

Last edited by ZiGNoTZaG on Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:16 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why the hay are you talking about men in white coats?

- the PEOPLe(not gods or perfect beings) that wrote all these rules you people seem to be taking for absolute gospel.

We're talking about units of distance, which everybody recognizes. Ask anybody "what is a unit of distance?" and they might either say "an inch" or "a meter", depending where they live. Now they may not be able to tell exactly how long it is (that is the white coats' job), but they do recognize it as something that measures a length. The average person cannot measure something real-world in pixels.

-not talking about averages or how many will understand. talking about possibility. is it possible? YES.

And the only reason you can measure things in pixels in SS is that your LOS expands with a higher resolution, and therefore there is a conversion factor between length and pixels on your monitor. And there's where your last point is contradicted, Zig.

-not very well it isnt. there is no conversion taking place. if there was no such thing as inches or pixels. 1000 pixels on zigs screen still = 1000 pixels on zigs screen, so if im to belive you guys, then if i dont convert that distance to some real world unit....it doesnt have dimesion at all.

OMG the laws of reality have been repealed, there is no such thing as an inch or a meter. all zig can see is pixels, the laws of perspective are screwed...with no way to convert how long everything is, zig cant tell if hes pissin inside the rim or not!!! oh noooo....is it far away or close. I CANT TELL!!!... rofl icon_rolleyes.gif

Everybody has a 'pixel-sense' for their monitor at the resolution you normally use. Everybody also has a pixel-sense for their monitor no matter what resolution is Subspace. But that doesn't mean that a pixel means anything in the real world.

-doesnt it? or it just doesnt mean anything beacuse other ppl tell you it doesnt.
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:17 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

<DP>
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

10 seconds = 1 meter

gimme a stick 10 seconds long

1000 pixels = 2 feet

gimme a stick 1000 pixels long
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:59 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok let's just end this thread.

Summary: Akai is a retard. Anyone who stood up for Akai is a retard.

Next...
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah good idea, if were just going to reduce ourselves to calling names. i cant see any further point in pursuing it either. theres plenty of other threads for that.

anyone that that brought this up in the first place as a big deal is a retard.
i88gerbils
Oldbie Server Help

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Zig's got it. Maybe you should read his posts again.

A pixel can be a measure of distance, but based on the rules setup in modern society and that there is no relativity to what a pixel is a pixel is not a measure of distance.

End of discussion.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:19 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
Please stop taking quotes out of context, and you'll stop sounding like a tabloid.

It was the only relevant part. It's not like he said "btw this is incorrect: {insert what I quoted}". I hope you don't expect me to argue against people that already agree with me (regardless if they've noticed it or not).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
ExplodyThingy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HOW MANY PIXELS IS SHE?

How many pixels is the tounge?

Dr Brain> I hate clean air and clean water. I'm a member of Evil Conservitive Industries

_1646912_tongueruler300.jpg - 11.11 KB
File downloaded or viewed 99 time(s)

816-o-39754.jpg - 6.79 KB
File downloaded or viewed 102 time(s)

Last edited by ExplodyThingy on Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not enough on the first.

Too many on the second.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:52 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr Ekted wrote:
Ok let's just end this thread.

Summary: Akai is a retard. Anyone who stood up for Akai is a retard.

Next...

Um.. Um.. Whos whos.... side should i be on ekted the server help squatter or SuSE's the moderators?
Solo Ace
Yeah, I'm in touch with reality...we correspond from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:06 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nobody cares whose side you're on.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:24 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ExplodyThingy wrote:
HOW MANY PIXELS IS SHE?
How many pixels is the tounge?

Shall we assume you mean screen pixels?
1stStrike
Cute like a kitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:30 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

*kills everyone*

I win.
Phreekeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:36 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Noes i win <_<
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:28 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks 1rst, we all needed to die for that little display.
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:41 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

its not an absolute measurement, however. It's a relative unit and can only be applied to measurements within subspace (ie pixel to tile, neither of which can be converted to an external unit such as inches without knowing a resolution)

Phreekeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ZiGNoTZaG wrote:
thanks 1rst, we all needed to die for that little display.
Yes,Yes in fact we did.
biggrin.gif
myke
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smithy101 wrote:

Um.. Um.. Whos whos.... side should i be on ekted the server help squatter or SuSE's the moderators?

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Phreekeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:10 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lol.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:24 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, as long as you guys are going to be idiots and not actually read what I say and think about it, I'm not going to post in reply. Goodbye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 667 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.705755 seconds : 52 queries executed (75.7%): GZIP compression disabled