Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Note: I will not read posts with subjects like 'help'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic  What? Post :: Post Firefox 0.9.3  View next topic  
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

<_<
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
1stStrike
Cute like a kitty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:02 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ExplodyThingy wrote:
do you do anything other than troll these forums? Thats from TV, Saturday Night Live specifically.

Silly mortal, you still watch tv.
myke
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:40 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smithy101 wrote:

Im not a homo icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:41 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right.....
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:03 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smithy, go away. Nobody loves you anymore.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:31 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cyan~Fire wrote:
There are 1310720 pixels on my screen right now. Does this mean that my screen is 1310720 pixels long? No. A pixel is NOT a unit of distance.

Let's do some dimensional analysis here. You measure resolution in, let's say, pixels per inch. That's a amount over a length, which of course does tell you something. However, if a pixel was a measurement of length, then that would be length over length, which evalutates to 1. Saying 1=1 is a little useless.

right now, there are 1310720 pixels on my screen. when i hold this toycar up to the screen. length of carX = aprox 453454 of those pixels. therefore 453454 pixels according to zigs screen at 1024x768 = aprox length of car. and one could measure other objects against this scale and get a steady reliable result.

of course this is looking right past the obvious difficult of seeing, and lugging around a montor to measure shit. right to the point of weather or not it is physicaly possible to do so.
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:33 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, without the DPI, no one else could get that same result.

Lets say I have a 29" monitor. At 1024x768, there is no WAY I could get that same result.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:18 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it doesn't matter, get a dictionary
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Smithy101
Thing 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:47 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
Smithy, go away. Nobody loves you anymore.

icon_sad.gif
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:37 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Even if Zig said his car was 453454 pixels long at 1024x786 on a 29" monitor, the pixel would still not be a unit of distance. Let's do some math again.

To convert from the amount of pixels in the length of a car to the actual length of a car you would use the formula pixels_car / (pixels_screen_x/distance_screen_x). I'm hoping everybody agrees with me there because if you don't, you're stupid. Now, putting that in units, it is P / (P / L) or P / P * L. Therefore, the P / P cancel out pixel units and only length is left. The length of your screen is the only measure of distance in that conversion. The amount of pixels in the length of the car is only a number in a fraction.
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:44 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
No, without the DPI, no one else could get that same result.

Lets say I have a 29" monitor. At 1024x768, there is no WAY I could get that same result.

they would get the same result if they used zigs monitor at 1024x768.

much like in early history when they ddint have a standard. and units of measure differed from one architect to the next, and a lenght of wood or string was often used as the standard.

so for example if my toy car is 454545 pixels long. i could send my monitor to someone else, and as long as they run it at 1024x768, they will be able to send me a peice of string, without ever seeing the car(just knwoing its size in pixels as i stated), that roughly equates to the lenght of the car. thus my monitor was just used as a unit of measure. just like someone in early history would have needed the pice of string of wood that the architect used when designing..... or an EXACT copy of it. (a monotr just like zigs at 1024x768)

all measurements are approximate. this could be even more accurate then a standard ruler.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:50 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:

Already did. Please specify which definition you are choosing for your 'pixel' and 'measurement' instead of regurgitating the same line.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Zig, one pixel is still one pixel on any monitor. The problem you are seeing is that pixels are not a unit of real distance.

It's like measuing weight when using a unit of volume. When the density is the same (like when the DPI is the same on two monitors), you can compare two objects without problems, but you cannot *weigh* with volume, just like you cannot *measure distance* with pixels.
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:54 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i can see your point of view, but i think your not understanding where im coming from. what is an inch? what is a meter? they are words, not some absolute godly thing. given to an occourance of space. so that people can talk about them and know what the other means.

so if your saying that you cannot, according to mans scientific theories and such, use pixels on a screen as a valid measurement. i will say that is correct. but only because a whole lot of men in white coats say it is so. not because it is in fact actually true. thats like saying the lengths of string used to contruct castles in mid-evil times where not valid forms of measure. which for all practical uses they are not valid by todays scientific standards. but remain forms of measure.

i guess in the end im not really saying anyone is right or wrong here, as i can see both sides of the argument. tho it has strayed some form the original threads and posts. i like discussing things that ppl take for granted as fact. icon_smile.gif
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:44 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
SuSE wrote:

Already did.

You already did, but he probably hasn't. Besides, you took only one of many definitions listed for the NOUN "measure". I hope you can realize that we've been discussing the action: to measure. (that's VERB to you)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ziggy, you are trying to apply philosphy where it doesn't belong. An inch and a meter are fixed units of distance. They apply anywhere in the universe and are exactly the same all the time. A pixel is a thing with no associated unit of measurement. Stop trying to confuse the main issue.

If I asked 100 people to take a stick and cut it to exactly 1 meter, they would all be the same length (within the bounds of accuracy that we can measure). If I asked 100 people to take a stick and cut it to exactly 1000 pixels, not only would they all be different, but anyone who even made the attempt would have to be a retard (eg Akai).
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:08 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

yeah im applying other apsects then just science. i cant help it.

i beg to differ on the last point tho, if asked 100 ppl to take a stick and cut it to exactly 1000 pixels. maybe first they would look at me like i was nuts. but if i paid them, and gave em all the same screens, and a nice big magnifying glass.... i would get no less of accurate result, as compared to lets say just a standard ruler. it would just take longer, and be genrealy a great big pain in the ass for anything you wanted to try and dimension properly. specialy if it was larger then the screen.

ill try to stop now. hehe
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, but by giving them the same screen, you are effectively supplying a conversion factor from pixels to real world measurements.

You can freely convert inches into meters, yards, furlongs, leagues, light years, etc. But you can't convert any of them into pixels.
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:45 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well then....weve found a nitch!! ok ekted, you figure out how, and WE'VE got it made. $$ Ekteds Distance to Pixel - Ator.

cant be done...Baaaa! thats what they said about the spork!! and i bet that guy is in a hot-tub right now, surrounded by hot females.
Mr Ekted
Movie Geek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:06 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ROFL!
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:23 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SuSE wrote:
You already did, but he probably hasn't. Besides, you took only one of many definitions listed for the NOUN "measure". I hope you can realize that we've been discussing the action: to measure. (that's VERB to you)

Ok, pick one of these and tell me which you like. If you want a different dictionary, please state which you are using. If a physical book, try and scan and/or take a legable digital picture of it, preferable at least 8,000 layers of coax cable insulation wide and 5,000 tall.

Quote:
From dictionary.com:

v. meas·ured, meas·ur·ing, meas·ures
v. tr.

1. To ascertain the dimensions, quantity, or capacity of: measured the height of the ceiling.
  2. To mark, lay out, or establish dimensions for by measuring: measure off an area.
  3. To estimate by evaluation or comparison: “I gave them an account... of the situation as far as I could measure it” (Winston S. Churchill).
  4. To bring into comparison: She measured her power with that of a dangerous adversary.
    1. To mark off or apportion, usually with reference to a given unit of measurement: measure out a pint of milk.
    2. To allot or distribute as if by measuring; mete: The revolutionary tribunal measured out harsh justice.
  5. To serve as a measure of: The inch measures length.
  6. To consider or choose with care; weigh: He measures his words with caution.
  7. Archaic. To travel over: “We must measure twenty miles today” (Shakespeare).

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:37 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

<- Ekted wannabe, even though it sounds like "Misdirected", which means I might start calling you Miss Directed icon_twisted.gif

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:37 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ZiGNoTZaG wrote:
yeah im applying other apsects then just science. i cant help it.

i beg to differ on the last point tho, if asked 100 ppl to take a stick and cut it to exactly 1000 pixels. maybe first they would look at me like i was nuts. but if i paid them, and gave em all the same screens, and a nice big magnifying glass.... i would get no less of accurate result, as compared to lets say just a standard ruler. it would just take longer, and be genrealy a great big pain in the ass for anything you wanted to try and dimension properly. specialy if it was larger then the screen.

ill try to stop now. hehe

It's like giving them a stick and saying to cut it into lengths of exactly 15 seconds. You cannot define length in units other than length WITHOUT a stated conversion factor.

If you want to go philosophical, the ideal inch is a certain FIXED length that can never be acheived exactly. The ideal pixel has no length associated with it.
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:22 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In the world of subspace, a pixel is a unit of length, as saying i'm three feet from the enemy flagger will mean nothing... but saying you're 160 pixels (10 tiles) away will.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
ZiGNoTZaG
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:24 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's like giving them a stick and saying to cut it into lengths of exactly 15 seconds.

-nope thats time, dont even get me started about time as some absolute godly device that everyone gets force fed....

You cannot define length in units other than length WITHOUT a stated conversion factor.

-according to who again? the men in white coats. im willing to accept it and use it, but im not willing to be blind to all the flaws in it. 1000 pixels on zigs screen is 1000 pixels on zigs screen anywhere in the universe sa_tongue.gif no "conversion" is needed tp percieve the distance. a conversion is only needed if you want to transform THAT TOTALY VALID measuremnt into one that everyone else that doesnt ahve a screen JUST LIKE ZIGS can understand.

If you want to go philosophical, the ideal inch is a certain FIXED length that can never be acheived exactly.

-your correct it cant

The ideal pixel has no length associated with it.

-no length can be "Ideal"

wooo! icon_smile.gif

sry ekted icon_rolleyes.gif haha

post thought: consider....your brain itself associates distance with pixles without you even having a real consious control over it. if youve been around pc's long enough someone can tell you an image size in pixles and you will instantly(weather its correct to do so or not) get an idea in your mind of how large the image will be when you display it on your screen. simply because you are comforatble with measuring device involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 647 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.691729 seconds : 50 queries executed (75.2%): GZIP compression disabled