Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Bot experience...

View previous topic  trivia Post :: Post Bot Trouble  View next topic  
4gotten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Bot experience... Reply to topic Reply with quote

how long would u all say u studied C++ or whatever to know how to program some good bots here?
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I spent 3 weeks on C++ in a course. I have never written a Super-Dooper bot tho. I have taken 2 semesters of Java programming that have REALY helped with any form of programming I do.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First C code i ever did was for Eris's bot, working with Ghost Ship on pro league bots. So i learned C from example by ghost's code, and then a few others. A couple months later, made a C++ bot that lets data be transfered from in game to a website (i knew perl before, also learned by example). Then that summer, i attempted to make my own bot core, CEBot. It actually started as a WinCE Chat-only client, but i learned so much of the protocol myself (yes, i actually logged packets and decoded it that way) that i made it into a bot core in a few months. About a year later, the core was done completely, i had a few nice bots (ASWZStats currently in ASWZ still is pretty kickass), and was thinking of releasing it publicly. Then i was enlisted into the new server software soon after, so that delayed me cleaning up my CEBot code, which is why it was never released. That was all about 1-2 years ago.

Currently, i took my first C++ class in college this year, two at once, one requiring the other, and i knew more than the teacher.

The only "programming" book i have: Programming Microsoft Windows CE, only because it was $5 at Ollie's, and it had a WinCE compiler that safed me a 350 meg download on a 56k modem. All it did was tell me a bit of the differences between Win32 and WinCE functions, and not too well at that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I first did some QBasic sometime in 98 or 99.
Then attempted to do Visual Basic too, but... heh, too complicated sa_tongue.gif
Half a year after that, I downloaded a (crappy, but best I could get) tutorial for it and learned the things pretty good (and painfully).
Then I started playing SS(23rd December 2000 icon_twisted.gif) and after 6 months or so, found the VB MERVBot.
Started editing it and learned a lot from it.
Soon Catid made his C++ biller, which I edited a little(O'boy, 50 errors on each compile sa_tongue.gif) for my zone. Then some people noticed that I had this kewl edit and wanted me to do it for their network, thne another network.

That's how I learnt most of my programming. No books(Can't afford em here. Libraries are too crappy too.), no classes(Hah! I get "secretary class" (making text bold was a big part of the last test) in school even now. Nothing else.)
-"l33t h41ku"
Rifle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Made a few simple programs with Qbasic around 97-98
Began playing SS around 97/98 biggrin.gif
Began learning VB sometime later by reading "Visual Basic for Dummies"
Later bought the book "Visual Basic Programming with the Windows API" <--- recommended.
Found CatID`s MervBot and edited it to host different types of elims, text changes and such... unfortunately it became too unstable and unsupported to do any good bots with =/
Learnt VC++ around 2000/2001-- Read the book named "An object-orientated introduction to C++" <- Ancient but useful
Also downloaded a heap of tutorials from the web, saved me a few bucks =)
Discovered the new C++ MervBot by CatID sometime in 2002, never began programming any plugins for it until late 2002..
Right now I'm considering learning Java due to the introduction of JIT...

-Rifleman
4gotten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wow gj. Im hopefully taking some courses soon in college. Maybe ill be able to do some bot editing or programming soon icon_eek.gif . we'll see, laters

4gotten
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been using VB secnce win 3.11 tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

good idea - take some vb courses, it isnt really good for much except business apps, but the data types are there and classes and everything youll eventaully want to know well. that takes +- 1 school year, every other day (i finished in half that)

i moved to C++ after that... after knowing the basics in VB it was easy, though there was a lot of adjustment becaues C++ DOES NOT hold your hand... thats how i did it... and im not too bad

the tough part is getting the compiler and MSDN help files. pirate them... youre not publishing anything for $ anyway (rationalization). just dont read books... actually program stuff. Get a GOOD book... thats a key. Better yer GET a GOOD TEACHER!
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Meh, indeed.
C++ does not hold your hand - It slaps you in the face with your own hand icon_twisted.gif
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

VB is possibly the worst possible starting language. It is not a stronly typed language, and it recinforces bad programming habits. It took me quite a while to learn a real language (C) after my experince with VB.
ExplodyThingy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So ive noticed.
Im trying to learn now.
Its like f*cking up in a PERL script. Man those are annoying.

Dr Brain> I hate clean air and clean water. I'm a member of Evil Conservitive Industries
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
SOS
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yea, I went from VB to C... and it was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD choice. Better start with C in the first place.
Helicon
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i found it rather easy...
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you must be a bad programmer... j/k

Java2win!
nintendo64
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, me i started with VB too about 1997-1998, althought i never really liked VB but this language is widely spread and is used a lot my companies and for making applicaitons fast.

Later in 2000 and 2001 i moved to Pascal, well Object Pascal by using Delphi it was a good change, and i learnt how to be organized with my code and etc...

I tried before that to move from VB to C but i didn't even kept trying, now from what i learnt from Pascal, i've been able to do some basic appz in VC++ 6 and read C/C++ code

-nintendo64
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Bot Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 682 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 1.054898 seconds : 40 queries executed (94.3%): GZIP compression disabled