Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Another chatnet client
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic  Just Another ChatNet Client (1.2 relea... Post :: Post Another cfg2conf convertor  View next topic  
ExplodyThingy
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Right click on the zone, IP there, TCP PORT should be 2 or 3 above that port listed.

Dr Brain> I hate clean air and clean water. I'm a member of Evil Conservitive Industries
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
liito-orava
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The thing is, that I only have one pc and im running on linux atm, so no Continuum for me icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry about this. The ChatNet port has been changed to the same port as the server. Until this is confirmed and I release an update to the client you will have to manually edit the ports in zone.dat to that of server port - 2.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Grelminar
Creator of Asss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. I probably should have told someone about that when I made that change icon_smile.gif. I guess you figured it out anyway.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

v034
set chatnet port to server port
added color to player list
updated zone.dat
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, since it is hard for me to keep the Chatnet Protocol section up-to-date, Smong, you want to go ahead and do it?

Set you as moderator in there, so feel free to edit the protocol outline, and add links to chatnet clients, such as yours.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Jason
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong, have far do you plan to go with your chatnet client? And by that I mean, are you going to continue development of it indefinitely, implementing as many new features as the server capabilities will allow? Or are you pretty much done with it?

I'm asking because I've been thinking about developing my own chatnet client for awhile now. However, I'd be doing mine just for the learning experience, so it wouldn't be anything special for quite some time. By the way, thank you very much for sending me your source. It helped me clear up a few misconceptions, and if I do start seriously working on a client, I should be able to start off on the right foot now.

Anyway, if you're going to continue working on your client, I think I'm going to say to hell with making my own client, as it would seem superfluous. I'd rather find some other way to contribute to the community. Perhaps I could start looking into Python more heavily and see if I could write an ASSS module or two. Who knows?
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Current SSCX-A Hyperspace IP + Port:
216.34.65.183:7704
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.

Last edited by Cyan~Fire on Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thats SSCX-A Hyperspace. We haven't been on SSCI for a while now.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oops icon_razz.gif

Corrected.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

@Jason
You can go ahead and make your client if you like. A bit of competition would be good and I think my client is pretty much finished.

Stuff I would like to see is:
Tabbed chat
news.txt (with server module to send it)
Secure messages (anything so a simple proxy can't just pick-up the ASCII)

As for Python, I don't know any and it would be good to see someone developing Python modules for Asss. I would also like to see a chatnet client written in C/C++, or at least something with a native binary, not Java.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm maybe I'll try one in C++. That is, if Jason doesn't do it in C++.
cyph

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

what's so wrong w/ subchat oh wait you're talking ASSS chat... nm icon_smile.gif lol...
Jason
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go for the C++ based chatnet client, Cyan. I've got a lot to learn in that language before I'd be capable of writing my own client. Plus, I've been doing a lot of reading concerning Python so I think I'm going to head down the ASSS modules route. Maybe at some point over the summer I'll start in on a Java chatnet client, but Smong's is pretty sweet as is.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Alrighty then.

Still gotta finish my project I'm working on now, though :'(.
pixelsoft
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tabbed Chat and reding news.txt in the chatnet client would be great.
or... well, here are some useless suggestions:

- seeing banners next to the name
- set the own banner
- Nick-Notify List, like...
You add 'pixelsoft' to your notify-list, and when he goes online, it says "pixelsoft is online."
- Probably the most difficult thing: the Directory-Server...

edit: btw, i still don't know how to open it biggrin.gif i'm just stupid.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Get in command prompt. Get to the directory it's in. Type 'java -jar chatnet026.jar'.
pixelsoft
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

aah thanks.. but what's the command prompt? icon_sad.gif
Oh Cyan, your avatar is so awesome.. The Dark Side Of The Moon! icon_smile.gif
i love pink floyd
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

pixel wrote:
but what's the command prompt?

:'(. It's that little DOS window. Get to it either through (Win9x/ME) Start -> Programs -> DOS Prompt, or (Win2000/XP) Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

Then you'll see a DOS window. You can use cd [directory] to get in the directory of your program. For example, my chatnet is in C:\Program Files\Games\Continuum\Chatnet. So, I'd run command prompt, type 'cd "C:\Program Files\Games\Continuum\Chatnet". Then, you'll see your current path in the prompt. Then I'd type the 'java -jar chatnet026.jar'.

pixel wrote:
Oh Cyan, your avatar is so awesome.. The Dark Side Of The Moon!
i love pink floyd

biggrin.gif
liito-orava
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd love to see more java applications, since they can be run on any platform that supports java. icon_smile.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
pixelsoft
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thanks cyan.
i was in the right directory(i'm 100% sure, c:\ss\apps\chatnet\chatnet, that's the folder, where files like chatnet.class, chatnet.conf etc. are), and then typed "java -jar chatnet026.jar" but it says it can't find the file...(attachment)

Chatnet Bug

cnbug.png - 2.69 KB
File downloaded or viewed 46 time(s)
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you installed the JRE correctly you should be able to double click on the .jar file and it will execute. Anyone wanting to add this to the windows files types can use this:
Quote:
"C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*
(change the version numbers and install path if needed)

The '026' is the version number, so you may have to replace that with whatever version you have. The early versions weren't packaged in a .jar file so that could be why it couldn't find the file.
If you do another screen shot do 'dir/w' in the command prompt so we can see what else is in the current directory.
pixelsoft
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

hi Smong, thanks for your help, but..
sorry, i can't find any *.jar-file, not in the chatnet-folder and not in /src.

where can i download the newest version?
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.sscont.net/smong/download/chatnet.zip
pixelsoft
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thank you it works fine icon_smile.gif
gj Smong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 657 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.518905 seconds : 52 queries executed (79.2%): GZIP compression disabled