Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
PNG - Better for images than bmp, gif, jpeg, etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic  ASSS - Suggest some Names Post :: Post Complete Trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrashhhhh  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:56 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: PNG - Better for images than bmp, gif, jpeg, etc Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why is PNG better? Simple, smaller file size, and is lossless (ie: doesn't lose image information like jpeg). Here, read some about it, and maybe even download some png crushing programs (which save the png file even smaller than most image editors can do, sometimes):

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Are there any hacks to make MSPaint (win98) save to .png? Or will the XP version work on win98? (But I have a feeling the XP version doesn't have the transparency area in "attributes", win some lose some).
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
FudLe Pucker
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:52 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

except png's only purpose in subspace is screen objects (like a picture that u would put over a safe) that kinda sux
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:58 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually you can convert all the bm2's in your graphics folder to png to save a load of space.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:20 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet!
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
ShortyMatt
Seasoned Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:53 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ya...so that way it will not take new players tht are just now downloadng your zone a long time..that way...with png...it loads fast tongue.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gravitron
VIE Vet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:43 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Late wakeup.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:39 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Since lvz's are compressed I would still use bmp's because that's what my version of MSPaint can handle (also I think that's how they are stored in memory when the game is running).
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shorty: If you read more closely, you'll see he said in your continuum directory, so you can actually modify the stuff there, that's cool.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:25 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong wrote:
I think that's how they are stored in memory when the game is running

You havn't done much programming, have you? If you are thinking that they are stored like that when on screen, its a different memory. System RAM stores it how the file is, png/bmp/etc. Video RAM stores it how it is shown on screen in great detail, which is why video cards are usually 8meg+ RAM on them, and 128/256 is the good size now. That is so you can store perfect quality images that are not on screen in the video card's RAM. But to save the files as .png in the lvz is MUCH better for system RAM.

How does it make a differance? Continuum first loads and decompresses the .lvz file into your system's RAM. If its a .bmp, the harddrive space is saved because the .lvz is small, but the RAM is larger, since Continuum is storing a larger decompressed image. If it is a .png, the harddrive space is about the same space saved, since its hard to compress a compressed file, but the RAM usage is a LOT smaller, since it only stores the png decompressed information. CPU usage is a bit more, because as it loads the png in system RAM to the video card, it has to "expand" the image out to be perfect detail. But that CPU usage is very small, and hell, SS runs fine on even a 200mhz machine. The differance in RAM is great, as when you are playing games, you are sharing the RAM with every other process. And for those with still only 128/256 RAM, and have WinXP installed (which sucks up a great deal of RAM), that differance in SS's RAM usage is great. The little more CPU usage for expanding the png is hard/impossible to notice.

So in theory, CPU usage doesn't mean too much with how computers are going. RAM/disk space is the key factors, as even when you are not running, you are still wasting that space, which isn't cheap.
Smong
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:34 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
You havn't done much programming, have you?
No, but I have to start somewhere.

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
the RAM usage is a LOT smaller, since it only stores the png decompressed information.
But isn't that the same as a bitmap, or do you mean decompressed from the lvz?

Anyway, I'll take up your advice and convert the remaining images in my graphics folder to png.
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:50 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Smong wrote:
But isn't that the same as a bitmap, or do you mean decompressed from the lvz?

Nope, he meant decompressed from lvz.

Lol wow Mine looooong explanation.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:30 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know too much about nothing.
ShortyMatt
Seasoned Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:15 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so....i can edit the graphics in the continuum folder that the main grpahics are stored in? BUT! would the graphics (that i edited) be the grpahics in any zone i play in? (not just mine)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:34 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, that's not actually what he was saying, but yes!
People do that all the time (having airplane shipsets, etc)
ShortyMatt
Seasoned Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:57 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so that you would not have to settle for someone's lame zone graphics...cool tongue.gif
WarFan
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:01 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ShortyMatt wrote:
so that you would not have to settle for someone's lame zone graphics...cool tongue.gif

This would only be true for zones that are using default graphics. Any graphic that has been altered or replaced will be downloaded and used when you enter that zone.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Yahoo Messenger
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:03 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WarFan wrote:
This would only be true for zones that are using default graphics. Any graphic that has been altered or replaced will be downloaded and used when you enter that zone.

UNLESS you put it into that zone's folder, extracted out. Ships.bm2 will override ships.bm2 inside a .lvz if in the same folder.
WarFan
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:07 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mine GO BOOM wrote:
[..]

UNLESS you put it into that zone's folder, extracted out. Ships.bm2 will override ships.bm2 inside a .lvz if in the same folder.

Is this true for just ships or everything?
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:46 am   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everything. I was just giving an example there. You can do it for .png/etc also.
FudLe Pucker
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:32 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK GUYS YOU CANT MAKE PNG LVZS (like ships and stuff) BECAUSE CONTINUUM BY DEFAULT SEARCHES FOR BM2 FILES, NOT PNG THUS IT WONT WORK KTHX
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:47 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK FUDLE LETS NOT TALK IN CAPS
Actually, it does work.
WarFan
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:25 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FudLe Pucker wrote:
OK GUYS YOU CANT MAKE PNG LVZS (like ships and stuff) BECAUSE CONTINUUM BY DEFAULT SEARCHES FOR BM2 FILES, NOT PNG THUS IT WONT WORK KTHX

PNG's work just fine in my lvz's instead of bm2's. Bullets, bombs..anything
FudLe Pucker
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:46 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

last time i tried it, it didnt work
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:55 pm   Post maybe stupid    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try 0.39 prerelease?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Trash Talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 416 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.909387 seconds : 49 queries executed (75.6%): GZIP compression disabled