Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Server.ini Comms section to remain eternal mystery

View previous topic  0 MS problems Post :: Post What is the Winter Snowstorm Pack FC 24  View next topic  
qan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Server.ini Comms section to remain eternal mystery Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi guys. First legitimate post in this subforum in (-checks watch-) 7ish years, eh? I'll be shocked if I get a response. Pleasantly so, though.

I've been looking for details on some of the mystery server.ini settings in the Comms section, and searches aren't turning up a whole lot. My theory is that some of our network settings can be tuned a bit for modern connections.

Some of these are guessable, but has anyone figured out what they actually do? In TW we use settings that deviate heavily from the defaults and I would like to have a better idea why.

PacketHistoryMax
IncomingBufferSize
OutgoingBufferSize
EncryptMode
UnreliableBufferSize
TransportBufferSize

See: https://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/Server.ini

Also wondering if any subgame diehards have tweaked FlushTime and SelectTime. I'm betting in 2023 we can tune these values down a bit. TW currently uses:

FlushTime=20
SelectTime=10

20ms between flushing position packets?! I have no idea why TW has double the default. Will experiment. Wonder how taking it lower than 10 will perform. CPU usage is basically nothing on modern machines.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's what I figured out after a very quick look at the disassembly. Some of it might be wrong or incomplete.

PacketHistoryMax:
This sets the size of a packet log in number of packets. The total memory usage will be (PacketHistoryMax * 540).
Didn't look at its use. Possibly used during core dumps of server crashes so you can see if anything fishy was happening to cause the crash.

IncomingBufferSize:
This sets the size of the operating system's internal UDP socket receive buffer.
Setting this higher will help with burst windows of packet receiving so that none of the packets are dropped by the operating system.

This is the actual call being made if you want more information:
setsockopt(socket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, &IncomingBufferSize, 4);

OutgoingBufferSize:
This sets the size of the operating system's internal UDP socket send buffer.
Setting this higher will help with burst windows of packet sending.
OS Specific: If the internal send buffer is full, either the send call will block or the packet will be dropped immediately.

This is the actual call being made if you want more information:
setsockopt(socket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_SNDBUF, &OutgoingBufferSize, 4);

EncryptMode:
Value 1: Normal Continuum encryption.
Value 2: Not sure what the point of it is, but it seems to prevent clients from sending EncryptionRequest packets with key 0. Might be some security thing or outdated.

UnreliableBufferSize:
Doesn't seem to even be used, unless it's some obfuscated string.

TransportBufferSize:
Does something but too lazy to figure it out. Possibly something with keep alives or sync timing. Maybe the buffer size of pending packet results from those requests.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 685 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.553384 seconds : 28 queries executed (84.9%): GZIP compression disabled