Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Shanky has quit SS

Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Printable version
 View previous topic  SS.net down the grave. Post :: Post asss 1.1.2  View next topic  
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Shanky has quit SS This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

Shanky, my older brother, has quit SubSpace now for a couple of months now. When we came back from Poland, he built his new computer (pretty nice one too) and never installed SubSpace on it. I knew he was going to try to do this, and hoped he would be able to do this. Since it has been a couple of months now, I know he has the will to stay out of SubSpace. Congratulations, Shanky.

SubSpace was our online lives for the longest time. Back in early VIE days, which I'm forgetting now when we first started (December something, in some 19XX year), but I do remember playing v1.25 a lot. Anyways, my brother was introduced to SubSpace by one of his friends. He introduced me to the game. He played well in Chaos, and got a good repulation as actually being a good pilot, but not one that played enough to get 1000-1 record in Chaos like some did (I still laugh at the time Shanky killed someone at ~999 bounty, who later finally got over the 1k bounty in a day or two). I played in Warzone and plowed mines (hence the name, but thats a different story). Since then, our internet connection has somehow always been related to SubSpace a lot. Playing the game, talking to those that played it also, websites and forums about it, etc.

SS will never leave Shanky, but Shanky will leave SS.

What does this mean?
It means that contacting Shanky asking about something SubSpace related (ie: league information) may no longer receive a reply, as he has and does nothing with it anymore.

Does this mean that Shanky.com will go offline? Doubtful. He'll probably always own shanky.com as long as he uses a computer. Does this mean that SubSpace related stuff on Shanky.com will be removed? Doubtful also, as Shanky has always been a kind guy to others. The current leagues that are now hosted here have had their best and most reliable hosting under us, and has not cost them once cent. We do this back to help promote the game, and will probably continue to do so.

Does this mean Server Help is dying?
No. I'll be attempting to help with the servers, both in assistance and with Grelminar's fantastic server software, ASSS. But it does mean that the effort will slowly disappear, though not for another year atleast in myself I see. I enjoy learning new coding and helping experiences while dealing with the server software. But for the past 6 months for myself, I have enter SubSpace maybe a total of 20 hours, and only maybe 30 minutes of actual playtime. I knew a while ago that I pretty much quit playing SubSpace, but I still enjoying the server aspect of it, though I havn't ran or tested the server software in over two months.

What about the future of Shanky and Mine GO BOOM?
Shanky has left SubSpace for good, as I've stated above. He'll no longer have any direct contact with SubSpace. No playing, no scheduling, etc. He'll continue to help support SubSpace via the website hosting we currently do, as he is a kind person like that, but he will no longer be a direct part of SubSpace anymore. As for myself, I will continue to do the same I have done for the past six months. Assist and review, and maybe a little bit more of testing, but no actual playing anymore. So for myself, you shouldn't see much of a change, because I've been like this for half a year already.

Can I say one last goodbye?
Place your questions/comments about the post, or say your final good byes and/or thank you to Shanky, in the Farewell, Shanky thread.

Shanky will be missed.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Shanky
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout.
i eat babies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies Reply with quote

This isn't the way I wanted to go out. I never intended to disappear. I have had many things come up to delay or prevent me from returning. As much as I wanted to, I never could go through with returning. But that still doesn't make it any easier to leave.

Mine GO BOOM posted this message behind my back. As much as I couldn't leave Subspace, I already had. I guess he gave me a simple push to make it final.

My trip in Poland allowed me to live without any kind of tv, internet, language (since i dont speak polish), friends, girlfriends, no commitments, no worries. When I got back to the US, I came to the understanding how I should be living my life, simpler.

December 4th, 1996. I downloaded and logged into subspace as Shanky. I have used the same name ever since. I have never played any game or been involved with anything for as long as I have with Subspace. It really is a great game with even greater people. Without the human side of the game, subspace would have died with VIE. I am proud to say I have been apart of that. I am proud to work with everyone that has ever contributed to keeping subspace alive for as long as it has. I have great respect for everyone that will continue to support subspace. I really planned on playing for at least another year, but I guess it won't happen.

Subspace has been dieing for a long time now. I knew that, but kept believing in the idea that we could save it. I no longer believe that. I feel I should have left the game a long time ago, yet I never could. I still can't. I don't want to leave, but I already know I have.

I will still be around via email (shanky@shanky.com) and icq (7169673) to talk with but don't plan on answering anything subspace related.

I love everyone of you and will never forget the amazing times I had while playing and interacting in internet asteroids. I feel as if my best friend has died and that this is my final goodbye to him.

Love
Chris Murphy
Shanky

RIP Subspace
12-04-96 to 09-12-03
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    Server Help Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: