Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
ASSS developer's CVS/journal/log

View previous topic  Help with asss server Post :: Post I want your ASSS  View next topic  
Kood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: ASSS developer's CVS/journal/log Reply to topic Reply with quote

I vaguely remember Grem having a kind of journal/log/CVS online that he updated with his progress, as he made changes, found problems/bugs, etc.

I have lost the URL and admire the dedication to quality cross-platform coding, comprehensive documentation, bug quashing, etc. and always wondered what tools/scripts he used to make it more painfree.

Any info on that, or the URL to the dev log would be most appreciated. (If it is publicly viewable.)

Cheers,
Kood.
-Trying to learn by a good example...-
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://sesquiped.yi.org:2400/asss/index/
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Donkano
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard lots about this ASSS Programm, but I am not sure what it is used for, can someone tell me please?
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it's a linux server for Continuum that enables a lot of cool new things like server-side scripting (modules) which can replace bots

linux, of course, is a much more stable server OS

A Small Subspace Server

(3 S's, even if "SubSpace" is traditionally referred to as "ss")
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Donkano
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, now I am even MORE confused... icon_redface.gif
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you know the server for zones (server.zip)?

that's a Windows application

Linux is a much more stable OS (crashes less, less buggy, etc) so it makes for a better server OS (server being a computer you run stuff on [like a website or a GAME])

bots have their own scripting, they are programs running off some computer

server-side scripting (or "modules" as they are often referred to in ASSS) is scripting that is on or part of or working with the server

why is server-side scripting nice?

lots of bots cause lag and errors and you have to have them hosted

with a module, the script is on the server already and running with it (no spawns like bots)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website
Donkano
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So how do i switch to ASSS?
Fuzzjdc
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

get linux and install it then you can use ASSS

u might say linux crashes less but have you used windows 2000 (advanced) server?

i have and it has not crashed once running the cont. server or even just running (i hav left it on 14 days straight and no loss in proformance)

so if you dont want to use linux try windows 2000 server (not sure about 2000 pro but it sould be fine)
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Donkano
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Damn it, I am not going to install damn Linux to get get ASSS, considering I found no errors in my zone so far.
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

lol, you asked what it was sa_tongue.gif

and I have read that windows 2k is a good server os, but cross-platform is good in general, even if the servers don't share the same features
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

[quote="Fuzzjdc"]u might say linux crashes less but have you used windows 2000 (advanced) server?

i have and it has not crashed once running the cont. server or even just running (i hav left it on 14 days straight and no loss in proformance)[quote]
..... if w2k would crush down on running continuum-servers w2k would be a real shit!!!icon_lol.gif
Im running on w2kas a contserver, a webserver, cs, ut servers at once... and it crushed just once down, because of processor overheat. lol
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fuzzjdc wrote:
i have and it has not crashed once running the cont. server or even just running (i hav left it on 14 days straight and no loss in proformance)

I have a linux server running here, and the last time I even TOUCHED it was 4 months ago. And that was because the power went out, and I needed to shut it down before it's UPS ran out. Excepting powerlosses, the last time I did anything to it was 1.5 years ago. And that wasn't a crash, it was an upgrade.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuSE
Me measures good

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dr Brain wrote:
[..]

I have a linux server running here, and the last time I even TOUCHED it was 4 months ago. And that was because the power went out, and I needed to shut it down before it's UPS ran out. Excepting powerlosses, the last time I did anything to it was 1.5 years ago. And that wasn't a crash, it was an upgrade.

$$$
Kood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: ... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lol, this went a little off topic, lol.

Is the site only up when Grem is online? or similar? I get a 'Cannot connect to server' error.
Mine GO BOOM
Hunch Hunch
What What
Hunch Hunch<br>What What

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

First email Grelminar sent to me dealing with ASSS and CVS:

Grelminar wrote:
be nice to it, it's just on a cable modem
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Cyan~Fire
I'll count you!
I'll count you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm a major ASSS newb.
Did you actually say it can do bot-like functions without a bot?!
That would be awesome!
I used to have linux running but got rid of it since absolutely no programs I use are linux-based.
But if ASSS is so good, I might just bring linux back...
This help is informational only. No representation is made or warranty given as to its content. User assumes all risk of use. Cyan~Fire assumes no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use.
Wise men STILL seek Him.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
AlphaBoB
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you're thinking about bringing Linux back JUST for ASSS, then:

1. You might try the Windows version
2. If you *do* install linux, install it Dual-Boot so you can use Windows too, or do it on another computer.
3. Linux runs on a 386. If you have more than one comp, use the slowest one. Slow computers (as long as they're more than 100 MHz) should still work fine hosting an ASSS server.

Edit:

Kood wrote:
Lol, this went a little off topic, lol.

Is the site only up when Grem is online? or similar? I get a 'Cannot connect to server' error.

It's still a little off topic. As for the second, I think so, I can't connect either.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 664 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.505108 seconds : 42 queries executed (93.3%): GZIP compression disabled