Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Equivalent template.sss?

View previous topic  Spawn Settings Post :: Post Probably a mistake?  View next topic  
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Equivalent template.sss? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is there something like an equivalent for template.sss for ASSS? Or some .set format file, or some .cfg/.conf file with all the server settings?

I'm looking to make some Subgame -> ASSS mass conversion tools, and this could be useful to cleanup the subgame-only settings, and perhaps convert them properly.

OR if someone listed which settings are specific to subgame, it would do as well.
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could always grab server.set when doing ?quickfix in an asss zone. However even you must realize that asss is not really meant to use settings files the same way as subgame. Worry about the client side settings only, honestly.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
L.C.
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arnk Kilo Dylie wrote:
You could always grab server.set when doing ?quickfix in an asss zone. However even you must realize that asss is not really meant to use settings files the same way as subgame. Worry about the client side settings only, honestly.
I think you're missing the point. Of course some things won't convert to ASSS because they either they don't exist or.. they don't exist!

For the things that are similar in function, either a compromise has to be made or a mathematical formula to convert a Subgame value to an appropriate, valid, and safe ASSS value.

That's the whole purpose of a converter: to try and get as much data from one format converted to another.

It sure makes it easy to do some things.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email Visit posters website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Okay but if you try to convert server settings you are probably just making more work for yourself. A good amount of subgame server settings (not just merely some) are completely obsolete, nontrivial to port, or undocumented. It's better to not plague a new asss instance with the same failure model of not having the appropriate settings delegated away from one arena.conf anyway.

What I'm saying is, I don't see how such a tool does anything other than promote bad practices.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Samapico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

?.o

What I plan to do:

Code: Show/Hide

For each entry in spawn.cfg:
If the setting is not a subgame-only setting:
  Add it to some global .conf file

For each *.cfg file:
Create a new arena.conf
Add #include <some global .conf> at the beginning
For each entry in *.cfg:
  If the setting is not a subgame-only setting:
   Compare the value with the same entry in spawn.cfg
   If they are different, add it to arena.conf, otherwise, don't

If that promotes bad practices, please tell me why...

I don't care about all the server settings related to lag and such... but all the server settings that affect the gameplay somehow would be nice to have converted if needed... but most of them are compatible already anyway. Being able to properly convert flag/soccer settings would be a plus, but I don't think I'll need that.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can you give an example of the settings you ARE planning on converting?

It seems to me the only things you should be copying over are client settings. The rest are going to have to be tweaked by hand anyway.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samapico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just have around 100 maps/arenas/events to convert... Most will just have custom ship settings, but ideally I want to preserve everything that can be preserved... I don't mind if I have to tweak stuff afterwards anyway, I just want it to do the dirty job.

And... if I just had a list of which settings are client, and which are server, that would help a lot.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You won't break anything by just sticking in the subgame settings file contents or #including it. You can do a quick hack job to generate an AttachModules string for you based on the value of turf/flag/soccer settings, probably. Then you just need to do General:Map=appropriatefilename.lvl and you should use General:LevelFiles instead of Misc:LevelFiles.

(Misc:LevelFiles was deprecated as part of an effort to try not have both client and server settings in Misc:...)
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

the great part about asss is that you can just #include that entire file at the top, and then overwrite anything by having the same setting further down, and anything that isnt used is ignored
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 644 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.890002 seconds : 34 queries executed (96.7%): GZIP compression disabled