Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Help with "Regions" for a newbie zone dev.

View previous topic  BlueT Super Ships does not broadcast Post :: Post security.so  View next topic  
Special Agent Fox Mulder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Help with "Regions" for a newbie zone dev. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've played a bit on various servers under the name j.x.

I'm having a bash at developing a zone, working on putting together the necessary dev environment to compile some of the modules I've found around in the hopes of expanding my limited coding/scripting abilities.

I am a bit flummoxed by one thing I've not been able to find in the documentation or elsewhere on the forums about regions.

tldr : new noob question coming..

I've created a region in DCME which I have verified in game via ?mapinfo however I can't find what to add to the server side settings (outside the .lvl) to correspond with the regions function.

I'm under the impression I need to add something to the default config file in the arena folder to tell the server what to do with the region.

Would anyone mind posting an example, or pointing me in the right direction so I can learn what do do here?

I'm trying to get an autowarp up and going and will be happy to contribute what I learn to a page on the ASSS wiki.

Many thanks
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I "think" the autowarp functionality is part of ASSS's core, but I could be wrong, maybe it requires some module... I don't know.

With some searching, I think you have to put this in modules.conf:

funky:autowarp

Also, you have to edit the region's properties in DCME to make it 'autowarp' and set the coordinates (or arena) you want it to warp people to.
Cheese
Wow Cheese is so helpful!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

its one of those core modules that arent loaded by default for whatever reason, like objects or watchdamage
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Be aware of the issues of using "auto warp," the technique that lets you keep your momentum when warping is inherently flawed with Continuum (because it's a trick, at best.) It will cause clients seemingly to get out of sync, and on their screens weapons will shoot at an incorrect distance from their ship. Depending on your settings, this could be highly undesirable, or tolerable.

If I were to guess, this innate flaw is why it's not loaded by default.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Special Agent Fox Mulder

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: ah sorted Reply to topic Reply with quote

Found the Edit Region function in DCME (hadn't noticed I could click on that pencil) and have the basic no momentum conserving autowarp working now. Thanks for the help biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Cheese

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

also, after large amounts of use of that without any sync issues, i might mention that i found a bug in continuum where the timer becomes unsynced when loading extremely large lvz gfx, such as the warp gates in hyperspace, which happen to use moveto...
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website AIM Address
Arnk Kilo Dylie
Seasoned Helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You'll notice that your "sync" will change when moving between the center corner-warps in HS, which involve no LVZs whatsoever. You can see the effect by turning on ping times next to the player's names. Yours should be 0, but you'll sometimes see it change when you're autowarped. Various guessing can keep the effect minimal. I don't know the full extent of the abilities, but there's definitely a limited amount you can do with the selfpos trickery.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
Cheese

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

if that is true, then my guess is that we both may be correct, and that continuum will experience sync error when it renders a large amount of graphics of any kind, including a full screen of tiles when it is warped, even if i can never recall a sync error happening then :P
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sync errors (I'm talking about the ones coming from position packets for the client's player) are unrelated to frame lag induced from graphics.

To convince yourself, realize that the packet has to be received and processed to do the warp. The amount of graphics at warp destination cannot effect the processing speed, since the warp happens afterward.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheese

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

is it because the packets are timestamped?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 663 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.513929 seconds : 35 queries executed (93.0%): GZIP compression disabled