Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
before i bunch a bunch of time into a project

View previous topic  objon/off/move packets Post :: Post Server log bug  View next topic  
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: before i bunch a bunch of time into a project Reply to topic Reply with quote

this is a cross-post from ssdev priv forum on
http://www.ssforum.net/

I want to know what you all think of this. I'm not sure if this whole ssdev thing is still going, but I want to keep it quiet while getting some valid input and this seemed to be the best spot.

It is of course another zone idea. It seems like fun and that it would work in my head, but another person's views may find loopholes and problems.

Main idea: It is based off of star wars battlefront. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTOduOWoNA . The important parts are the command points (one is being captured at 44 seconds in vide). Players are spawned at any one of the command points their team owns. If all command points are taken by one team, the other team cannot spawn, and the remaining players must take a command point (cp), or their team loses.

On top of all of this, each team only has x number of respawns. This means that each time a team member dies, your team loses a respawn. Once you reach 0, only the remaining players are your chance to win.

The winning team is the one that elimates all enemy players, either through taking all the command points, thus not allowing other team to respawn, or killing other team in that they have no respawns left.

Porting to continuum/my additions:There would have to be a few changes (imo) to port this to 2d continuum.
1.)In the video, you noticed that when players spawn they select the cp they want to spawn at graphically. In continuum, players would spawn in a safe completely out of the map and enclosed. From the safe there would be 5 portals for each cp that they could enter. Using ASSS regions, if the player owned the warper to the correlating cp, they would then spawn there.

2.)Because basing is so much fun, I thought it'd be a good idea to put the cp's at the end of a small base (see attached sketch). Pros: basing Cons: takes longer to get to cp and capture

3.)To add a little more strategy, a little bit of warping would be added. ?to <cp#> would warp you to the relevant cp #, given that you own it. this can only be used when in a cp or in safe. Pros: more strategy, quicker movement b/w cp's, allows you to warp to an owned cp that is being taken by opposing team (there is a graphical radar of all cps. when a cp is owned it is a solid color of that team, when it is being captured or decaptured it is a blinking color of owning team). Cons: makes running easy.

I'm sorry if this is hard to understand, it is a little complex. I will attach the map i had worked out (just a rough sketch).

Do you think that this gameplay style would work?

Thanks for any feedback.

map:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3649986/image0-4.jpg

edit:thank you dr. brain, fixed

Last edited by tcsoccerman on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

None of your links work. The SSForum one is well formed, but links to a password protected forum.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fixed
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
D1st0rt
Miss Directed Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This sounds like Onslaught from Unreal Tournament, I think either 17th or the complex made some progress on such a gametype.

View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Visit posters website
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes The complex is very similiar. I have never played 17th before.
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How are you going to keep players busy once they can no longer respawn? The problem with events that eliminate (or spec) players is that these players get bored very easily and are likely to leave the arena or zone if they have nothing to do. I can only imagine that once the teams drop to a one on one showdown, it would take forever to end.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that just having a "mess around" area at the same location as the safe would suffice for when their is 1)low population 2)players that are new to the zone and 3)teams that are eliminated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 412 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.647975 seconds : 32 queries executed (80.0%): GZIP compression disabled