Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Starting a new Chat client program

View previous topic  Continuum on a mac? Post :: Post ChatBak 0.1 - A lightweight, standalo...  View next topic  
Louis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Starting a new Chat client program Reply to topic Reply with quote

most of you will probly disagree with this but i want to make a chat client in vb 6.0, i can also code c++ but i want to do it in VB, im having trouble understanding the protocol, if anyone has some spare time could you either help me with the protocol.bas or atleast explain it to me. Thank you
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
Dr Brain
Flip-flopping like a wind surfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Use the chatnet protocol. It's much easier to implement.

Smong> so long as 99% deaths feel lame it will always be hyperspace to me
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not to dissuade you, but 2 points really.

1. There are alot of chat clients already...an aweful lot, they don't get very widespread usage (even i've written one in delphi). The easiest way to write a chat client would be to take an existing bot and modifiy it, rather than implement the protocol from scratch.

2. VB6 is a dead language. Its probably not going to be supported beyond windows 7 http://blogs.artinsoft.net/jose_aguilar_blog/archive/2009/06/22/if-the-vb6-0-runtime-is-supported-in-windows-7-why-should-i-move-to-net.aspx
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you want to do stuff in VB6, you can check out DCME, the map editor ( http://www.ssforum.net/index.php?showforum=277 )
You can get the source via SVN
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

he's probably doing it for fun. I recommend you do as brain said, use the chatnet protocol: http://wiki.minegoboom.com/index.php/ChatNet_Protocol

you should be able to connect to asss zones with that such as hyperspace or hockey zone
Louis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok thanks lots guys, just cant figure out how to connect to a zone, that page said something about tcp, i tried to connect to devastation with tcp and udp and no response, im sure im doing something wrong, altho if i could get it to connect that protocol doesnt seem too hard at all id be able to use it
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, don't connect to Deva, for whatever reason you won't be able to connect to the server using the TCP chatnet protocol. Try testing on a local asss zone, though as Bak mentioned zones like Hyperspace and Hockey Zone will work.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i started a basic client, got it to connect but that page with the protocol isnt the real protocol to connect to zone and do everything else is it? seems very basic. anyways i tried sending that example of the login and i cant even get the server to send me a response
Bak
?ls -s
0 in

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think that chatnet port is the server port , TCP is that what you're using to connect? Does the TCP connection get established correctly?

It's not a complete protocol, it's just what a chat client needs/

Last edited by Bak on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List AIM Address
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

by default it is the same as the main port. but it can be changed with a setting
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nevermind i got it, killer, well, now all thats left is to program it, heh, ill have a release soon

Last edited by Louis on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Try this:

Code: Show/Hide

Winsock1.SendData "LOGIN:1;SideCN 1.6:" & Username & ":" & Password & vbCrLf

It should respond with LOGINOK: or LOGINBAD: immediately

Also, maybe you can get the sources of CypherJF's chatnet client, it's in VB6 to
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i got it, i just used chr(10) and everything is working
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Why change it to "1;SideCN 1.6" ? From my understanding of the document, the first should be the protocol version, followed by client information. When I send 1.6;SideCN it works properly so it's definitely not the issue.
Louis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

its working now lol no problems
JoWie
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i thought he misunderstood that for the client version instead of the protocol version, but i now see the chatnet protocol is 1.6.
so "1;SideCN 1.6" should be "1;SideCN" then.

anyways the protocol version should be integral (atoi() is used, so the .6 is ignored)

not that the protocol version is currently used anywhere icon_smile.gif
Hakaku
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, he took that part directly from my example code I sent him before (only difference being mine was in C#), that's why I asked; though it makes me feel better to mark the exact protocol version, even if it's not even used tongue.gif
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also wrote a (fairly complete) chatnet client, you might want to peek a look at...I never got round to finishing it icon_sad.gif

http://forums.minegoboom.com/viewtopic.php?p=76761
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> Misc User Apps All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 683 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.449484 seconds : 43 queries executed (92.1%): GZIP compression disabled