Server Help Forum Index Server Help
Community forums for Subgame, ASSS, and bots

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin (SSL) 

Server Help | ASSS Wiki (0) | Shanky.com
Shields

View previous topic  bot with damage (woo) Post :: Post <py> optparser  View next topic  
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Shields Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello.

I would like to have different shields than the one currently available in Continuum. The shields I have in mind would absorb a certain amount of damage and only after the shields are completely down damage would be dealt to the health points. They should also recharge over time. If you know StarCraft, I am talking about shields like the Protoss have them.

Do you think it would be possible to do that with ASSS?

Thanks for reading.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List
CypherJF
I gargle nitroglycerin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, it wouldn't be ASSS which would need to support it (I'm sure it could be added in without too much hassle); however, modifying Continuum to support said shield system is another thing - nearly impossible.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Might be possible..

You watch damage on all players.

Someone gets hit, struct shield->shieldremaining -= DamageData->damage.

Then send a full charge prize to whoever gets hit. Keep doing this until their shield runs out.

While shield is on, run a timer to recharge the shield periodically.

Create a graphics under the energy bar to show your shield amount/how much is remaining.
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can shields be unprized?
If so, use shields with a ridiculous long time, and unprize them when you're done

<tests>

Nope, they can't be unprized... hmmm
Doc Flabby
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can remove them with a shipreset... That probably wont help you tho!
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers. However I don't think it will work the way I had in mind. tcsoccerman's idea is not bad but the full charge would restore the health points as soon as the ship gets hit while it has any amount of shields left. It would then 'forget' previous hits. But I'd like the health points to be fully independent from the shields. Without a "Restore Exactly 1 HP" prize it won't work, i guess.
Samapico
No, these DO NOT look like penises, ok?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

well, you could dynamically change bullet/bomb damage settings for the player, as his shield changes, and monitor when he gets hit, like tsoccerman said.
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i have actually got a start on this module.

as far as the full charge, i do believe it will work. in fact, you were contradicting yourself in that paragraph.

i'm making it so every time you respawn, your shield is full. once it runs out your energy will start to be affected.

-tcsoccerman
View users profile Send private message Add User to Ignore List Send email AIM Address
Icebird
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's construct an example: Our ship has 100 HP | 50 SH

Now step by step:
Hit with 60 DMG -> 40 HP | 50 SH
Subtract DMG from SH -> 40 HP | 0 SH
Send recharge -> 100 HP | 0 SH
Oops, 10 DMG lost. (It should be 90 HP | 0 SH)

Another case: Our ship has 20 HP | 40 SH

Hit with 50 DMG -> 0 HP | 40 SH
Oops, already dead. (It should be 10 HP | 0 SH)

And one last case that comes to my mind: Our ship has 30/100 HP | 10 SH
(It almost died in a fight but came away with 30/100 HP | 0 SH and waited until the shields recharged to 10)

Hit with 20 DMG -> 10 HP | 10 SH
Subtract DMG from SH -> 10 HP | 0 SH
Send recharge -> 100 HP | 0 SH
Oops, the ship is in better condition than before the hit. (The ship should end up with 20 HP | 0 SH)
tcsoccerman
Server Help Squatter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

ok that helped. the last one is the one that doesn't fit in.

1. i thought shield couldn't recharge after it got below 0.
2. HP is never affected until shield runs out, and shield cannot be brought back after it is gone, so that player could not have had 30 hp AND 10 sh.

so the basic life of a ship would be-

1.spawn with shield
2.get a few hits, never bringing shield below 0, and never affecting hp.
3.sh goes below 0, SHIELD IS NO LONGER A PART OF THIS SHIP UNTIL HE IS BACK TO LIFE (caps is emphasis, not anger)
4. player dies
5.back to 1.
Legatus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How is this project coming along? It seems to be something I'd be interested in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Server Help Forum Index -> ASSS Custom Projects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
View online users | View Statistics | View Ignored List

Software by php BB © php BB Group
Server Load: 673 page(s) served in previous 5 minutes.

phpBB Created this page in 0.963618 seconds : 36 queries executed (96.5%): GZIP compression disabled